Dropping Like Flies

Author Topic: dropping like flies  (Read 3339 times) 3 replies

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
dropping like flies
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi i had 6 gold tuxedo platy fish last october all seemed healthy until last week or at least when the temperature of the UK went crazy. they went off colour slightly and a bit lethargic. Then they have acted a bit drunk and swimming eratically in circles. i do weekly 25% water changes and check the water quality ammonia is really low if at all and nitrite and nitrate is chowing no trace. ive lost 5 now in 3 days and the last one isnt looking so great. The remaining fish neon tetras and moscow blue guppies all are fine. they seem happy and swimming around as normal. Anyone any ideas. The only thing i will add is that the dead fish came from one shop and all the others from another this was all last septmeber/october so ive had them all a while without problems. seems odd its only one type of fish thats going.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: dropping like flies
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 07:33:39 PM »
It does sound like a platy specific disease. Or possibly it is the heat. Guppies and neons can tolerate higher temps than platies.

Can I ask if you know the hardness of your water? It should be somewhere on your water supplier's website if you don't have it to hand. Various things can cause stress to a fish and it can take one additional thing to push them over the edge. What I'm wondering is if you have soft water, which suits neons fine but guppies and platies prefer hard water. Then the temperature on top of that might be enough to push the platies over the edge; and because guppies can tolerate warmer water, they are OK. Just a thought.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »
The hardness Clark? On the website for my area is 13.63 it says moderately hard. My tank was running at about 30 but has dropped down to 27/28 today.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »
That is plenty hard enough for platies. I think we can only put it down to the weather.
You bought them quite a few months ago and if they had been sick when you got them I would have expected to have succumbed to it before now. Though I have to say I have read quite a few accounts recently of platies being less strong than they used to be.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "dropping like flies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 10:48:57 PM
by Fiddlefish
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 11:31:29 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: