Dead X-ray Tetra

Author Topic: Dead X-ray tetra  (Read 4364 times) 2 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Dead X-ray tetra
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Today, after 3 and a half months,  I lost my first fish. I checked the water two days ago 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and Nitrate was between 10-25.

All the fish looked fine, especially the tetra, however I just found this poor dab at the bottom of the tank. It looks like its stomach burst (see pic - sorry not best quality) though none seemed particularly swollen earlier today.

I've recently changed from flake to New Life Spectrum micro-pellets. The tetra have gone wild for it, could I be overfeeding? Or is it a disease like dropsy or other?

Thanks in advance for the help!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dead X-ray tetra
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »
It is quite possible that the tetra died then the other fish started to eat it rather than the tetra died from a burst stomach. NLS food is reckoned to be one of the best as it contains little in the way of fillers - I use their pellets and flakes and have not had a problem.
But it is easy to overfeed, if you are worried about that, cut down on the amount and see how the fish get on.

But what did kill the tetra? It wasn't the water; apart from the stomach (which quite likely occurred post mortem) you say there were no other obvious symptoms.
I have found that fish these days are not terribly strong. there always seems to be a few weak ones in every species. For now, I would put it down to this just being a weak fish. But I would still keep a close eye on the rest just in case.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Dead X-ray tetra
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:04 AM »
Thanks Sue.

These Tetra have always appeared healthy with no obvious problems, e.g. bloatedness or skin/fin problems. However, I have observed that 5 of the 6 fish always schooled well and generally stayed together most of the time, while one would often stay away from the group. Due to their almost identical appearance, it was impossible to tell if it was the same fish or different fish. It sounds awful, but hopefully it was the one that died and he always had some problem, which might mean its not a wider issue.

I will not feed today and also do my regular water change. I'll cut the amount I feed right down from now on. NLS does appear great and the fish seem to like it much more than the flake I was giving.

I will be keeping a closer than usual eye on the tank and hope there's no more casualties.

Thanks again for the advice.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dead X-ray tetra"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 09:17:15 AM
by Sanjo
28 Replies
Last post March 05, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 04:50:38 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2023, 05:37:02 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: