Dead Fish Fouling

Author Topic: Dead fish fouling  (Read 4856 times) 12 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Dead fish fouling
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
One of my new Endlers has disappeared and I'm sure he died as I saw him struggling just before he went missing and he spiralled down into the tank somewhere near the large ornament and plants.
He isn't visible and the only way I could check would be to lift out the ornament and remove plants.
He hasn't been seen since the afternoon they went in.

My question is, as it looks like I have to leave him, his body will foul my water.
How high is the ammonia likely to go with one tiny fish in a 22 litre tank.

I have checked the water every day since they went in and the parameters are
AMMONIA   0
NITRITE     0
NITRATE    around 25
GH             21
KH             10 - 15
PH              7.6
CHL            0

On the basis that I'm sure there is a dead fish in there, should I change some of the water, even though I have good parameters.

PS one of the other fish is constantly at the top and seems lethargic compared to the others

I have the filter and small pump going so it's not a lack of oxygen

****** fish! Certainly not a relaxing hobby at the moment !!

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Dead fish fouling
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »
I really would do all you can to try to locate the dead fish and remove it, even if this does mean removing the ornament and plants. Be careful when replacing the ornament, though, to ensure that there are no live fish swimming around that may get trapped in the process! I would combine this with a water change - even a 10% water change would be helpful generally and can revitalise a lethargic fish.

To save you hunting to no avail in the tank, though, it might also be worth checking externally around the tank area first - some fish can jump out through gaps that you'd never imagine possible.

Good luck!

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
I would just keep monitoring the ammonia. If it doesn't rise, there is no problem and you may cause more trouble by fiddling around. One tiny fish won't produce that much and your filter will probably cope. It may have been eaten afterwards if it died.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
Thank you both.
They are unlikely to have jumped out as before we got any fish, and having research that Endlers are jumpers, I made a mesh screen that goes completely over the stupid glass top.
Whoever designed this tank needs a good talking to.  There is a good gap all round, plus a corner cut away, plus a half circle in the glass. 
The clips holding the glass mean in effect that there is a large gap, so the easiest thing was a mesh cover. Very annoying.
fcmf, I did consider your choice before I posted the question, but because of the way I have done the plants it would mean probably that I would have to virtually empty the tank to get everything apart.
I did it all in such a way that there is a small raised garden at the front (made from a small clear food container about 2 1/2" deep) which leaves a good gap behind going down to the bottom, then there is the ornament which has holes in it and dislodging that means that I have to dislodge all the plants that I have attached to shell and rock.
Sounds like it's a massive layout but it isn't. It's all small scale but I planned it very carefully to give the fish a bit of everything without using much more of my water volume.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
I agree with Richard.
Endlers are tiny fish so won't make much ammonia, and your plants will help remove any before it becomes a problem for the rest of the fish.
And having had endlers myself, they are very likely to eat a dead fish (most fish will).

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »
That's a relief, thank you

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:01 PM »
Great - glad you've got better advice from more experienced fishkeepers than me before you started having to undo all your hard work. (Wow - I'm learning so much on this forum, and it's also a useful reminder that perhaps I have a tendency to fiddle too much with my tank eg some of the tetras always seem traumatised after water changes, so I'll rein myself in a bit.)

Given that you've put so much effort into your tank set-up since you got it, it would be lovely to see a photo of it some time, as it sounds like you've been really creative with what you've done to your small tank while you've been waiting for it to cycle.

Hope the endlers are settling in a bit better as the weekend progresses.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
If a big fish disappears and the tank doesn't have much in the way of live plants (which will use a lot of ammonia made by decomposing fish and are hard to move to search) then by all means look for it. It is quite easy to do in my tanks as all my plants are the kind you attach to decor so I just have to lift the bits of wood, plastic dead logs etc to look underneath.
And yes, do be careful when replacing an ornament, I once found half a pygmy cory stuck to the bottom of a twisted root ornament........

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »
Watched another of the fish doing the "spiralling" then sinking bit as did granddaughter.
It was quite distressing really.
When we found him he was upside down in a plant and looked very dead.
I managed to net him out and put him in the hospital tank but unfortunately he didn't revive.
We had gone from watching the five swimming around , although two were always at the top, to this one suddenly struggling.
Again Checked the water and the parameters were as they were this morning ie no ammonia, no nitrite and .25 ish of nitrate.
I have posted a question under plants because that is the only thing I can think I may have done wrong.

fcmf, don't worry about it.  If the tank was like Sue's and everything attached or moveable I wouldn't have hesitated to look for the lost one.

By the time the grandchildren left (they are teenagers so took it in their stride) I was so fed up that I turned the light off in an effort to let the other fish rest.  By that time we could only see three of them. !!

I have messaged MA where I bought them on Friday. Perhaps with hindsight Friday 13th wasn't a good day to be buying livestock!!

It is Sunday so haven't expected a reply yet.

MA made such a point on Friday of saying what hardy little fish Endlers are. Ya think!!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
Hi sanjo,

Just a quick word of comfort really to say don't get disheartened by the deaths of your new fish. It is common to lose a few, sometimes the stress of moving can be too much for them and also if any of the fish shops water parameters were significantly different to yours, it could be a strain on their little bodies to acclimate. 

I visited an MA the other week and their filtration was so magnificent that the water really was sparkling clean and  the smaller fish were struggling against the flow. I do wonder if coming from such efficient filtration to a standard tank might have a bit of a negative effect on them!!!

Out of the last five fish I bought, three died and I returned the other two as they were ill, so it is a case of sturdyness of the fish sometimes and not laways something you've done wrong.  :)

Might be worth sticking your siphon in the area you saw the fish spiral into and see if you can suck him out if you want confirmation of his demise but being so small he will be consumed quite quickly by the others I would think.

Finger crossed for your remaining fishies!!  :fishy1:

FC76

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Thanks for the supporting words Fishcake.
I thought cycling the tank properly meant that I would be up and away.

MA are talked of so highly that I just feel it must be something I'm doing or have done.
We started with 6 and appear to be down to three now unless one of the little darlings is just hiding.

It's the expense too. £11 for 5 tiny fish, especially if they have to be replaced. We had though that we would be spending another £11 to complete the tank instead it's to replace what we've had
The other half is getting a bit cheesed off to tell you the truth.
In a tank we never actually asked for but was a gift.  :'(

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
I feel your dismay, i really do!!

I started fish keeping a year ago as, would you believe, a nice relaxing hobby(!!!!) after i was diagnosed with CFS.

Well, one year on i have lost about ten fish, one of whom was a betta and cost me £10!!!! I've battled at least four fishy diseases and have spent somewhere in the region of £700  :yikes: and also have a rather cheesed off husband!!!

It's not as simple as you think, is it!!!

::)

FC76

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »
It certainly isn't. I have another dead one this morning and one missing. So of the original 6 on Friday 13th, we are down to 2.
They did feed this morning but their fins appear clamped, whether through nervousness because the numbers are dropping or because of some unknown reason.
It's a pain

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dead fish fouling"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 10:51:04 AM
by Cod_only_knows
28 Replies
Last post March 05, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
by Fiona
30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 01:56:09 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 04:50:38 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2023, 05:37:02 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: