Damage To Fin

Author Topic: Damage to fin  (Read 2120 times) 2 replies

Offline Brianc

• Tropical Fish Forum User
Damage to fin
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:21:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi forum, this is my first posting since joining you all. Thanks for all your advice on adding salt to tropical tanks. Didn't work for me so I have just done a complete water change today. I would like sone advice. Whilst netting the fish into another prepared tank one of my mollys freaked and I think she has damaged her fin. Will this heal or would it be kinder to use euthanasia on her. I would appreciate advice. Sugarcane3

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Damage to fin
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:58:03 AM »
Damaged fins will repair by themselves, the fish can be at increased risk of infection at this time but good tank maintenance is more than enough to prevent any issues.  Certainly no need to euthanize  :yikes:

I had a harequin which managed to get into my filter somehow which had extremely damaged fins, a few weeks later and you couldn't tell it apart from the others  :)

If you'd like to post a picture I can take a look for you and advise further but please don't give up on him her yet!!!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Damage to fin
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
Hi Brian.  :wave:

I completely agree with Matt.
One of my female tiger barbs had her tail bitten during frisky times with one of the dominant males, then had her fins nipped by some of the others. I have moved her into a quarantine tank to avoid any more nipping and her tail & fins are already starting to grow back.  :)

Good maintenance and water paramenters will ensure that there is a low risk of infection during healing. As will keeping a close eye on her to monitor the healing process, to watch for any chance in behaviour or infection. No reason why this shouldn't all end well though.

Pics are always useful.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Damage to fin"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 12:44:48 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 03:33:04 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: