Author Topic: CPD thin and strange behavior  (Read 13274 times) 33 replies

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
  • Blue Rams - Never Again...
CPD thin and strange behavior
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:28:52 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,
I have had this particular CPD for a few weeks now. It was always a bit thin but it seems to just be getting thinner as it grows. It's fins are also never extended, I wouldn't say they are clamped. Just not fully extended...

Also, it seems to hang out at the surface and it's gills look like they are working overtime while it sits at a strange angle (slightly tilted with its head towards the surface).

Is this a disease or something? or just genetic? Have a look at the picture:

I do have 4 other white cloud mountain minnows which do chase it sometimes bit I don't see any injuries or fin nipping although the CPD's don't come to the surface for food like the WCMM. There is one other CPD in a tank, a relatively new Juvenile which seems to be doing well. I am planning on getting more, but as most of them die when I get them I am wondering whether to not bother with this species?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: CPD thin and strange behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:45:08 AM »
I don't think there's a problem with the breed, I know of a few people that keep them locally without problems.

I have six in my main tank and six in quarantine and mine seem fine so far.

As you're experiencing high mortality I wonder if the breeder your stock comes from isn't the best.
Unless new breed stock is introduced occasionally interbreeding will weaken the species.

Maybe, if you want to continue with the species, find another supplier?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
Pic is very good and therefore very helpful, so well done for that. I would say that that does look like some form of disease although don't have the expertise to know what. The gill area looks inflamed and underside looks emaciated as far as the pectoral fins while the caudal fin in particular looks clamped (although I'm not familiar with CPDs). If that were my fish, I'd be inclined to try some form of treatment, but I'd wait until someone with more expertise such as Sue offers more specific advice.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
I'm not 100% sure it is a disease. The gills could be looking red because the body immediately behind them is so shrunken that the gills are more exposed than usual.
When I got my albino cherry barbs, a lot of the fish in the tank were deformed a bit like that. I put it down to them being very inbred to develop the albino line - and the breeders using any fish to breed from not just the healthiest ones.
I agree with Extreme, if you want to get more use a different shop. And not just a different branch of the same shop as they will all use the same supplier.

If it is a disease, you could try treating it if you have a quarantine tank, or even just a tub. eSHa 2000 is the best med for when you don't know what is actually wrong.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I didn't expect it to be a disease as it has been like this for a while, if not since I bought it.
The shop this one was bought from does seem to have a poor supplier as other fish I get from their are often ill or deformed. I have recently switched to a newer supplier (Maidenhead Aquatics) which seem to be a much better source of fish.

I have just tried putting a small flake of food next to the 'ill' fish (which is now floating just below the surface) and it completely ignored it... So I am unsure what is going on...

The other CPD I currently have is from the new supplier and looks much healthier and swims around a lot. I did get 3 from the new supplier but one died soon after transport (I assume from stress) And another has vanished meritoriously. Whether it died under some plants or the minnows which seem to love chasing the smaller fish about got a bit too excited I am unsure...

Looking to the future, I have been telling myself I will get a pair of Bolivian rams soon, but never felt it was the right time. Now that my tank seems to have settled I am considering getting some more fish.

I am looking at getting some more CPD from the new supplier to see if, with higher numbers, the Survival rate will increase. I am also considering some otocinclus as I now have a fairly substantial growth of algea on plant leaves and stones, would they clean it up? And finally, a pair of rams.

I am unsure which to get first and what order to put them in....

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
If you want more cpds, get them next. Then the rams. Then the otos. Don't forget you'll need a few otos as they are shoaling fish.
Rams aren't among the worst territorial fish but it is always worth getting mid water shoaling fish before any territorial fish so they regard the other fish as part of the scenery rather than invaders in their territory.
Otos do need a mature tank which is why I would leave them till last. When you get them, try to buy fish that have been in the shop a couple of weeks so the weak ones will already have died, and choose individuals with rounded bellies as they are eating well.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
I am unsure which to get first and what order to put them in....

I'm becoming convinced that shoaling fish should be kept in larger shoals than the minimum recommended.

My Cardinals are in a shoal of twelve now and I've never seen a shoal looking as fine, bold in nature and bold in color.

My CPDs, in the main tank, are nicely coloured too and growing in confidence. The six in the QT tank are pale and shy but, I'm convinced, all twelve will flourish when they're in a combined shoal.

I'm rambling, so I'm not sure what my point is now though ... lol ... Perhaps I'm trying to convince you to build up your shoal of CPD's, before you add any other species, to give them more confidence.  :isay:

FWIW I'm considering getting some Otto's in future.  :cheers:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
I agree. Apart from a couple of species in less than perfect numbers due to them being the last ones left, I have more than the recommended numbers of shoaling fish.

(Well, I would have more than 4 habrosus cories if I could find somewhere that had them  :-\ )

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
Ok, so I am planning on adding more CPD's this weekend. I can buy them in 3's so should I just add three, six, nine?

Thanks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
You need to have at least six. Since you have just one and can buy them in threes, get six. Or nine  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:59:55 PM »
You need to have at least six. Since you have just one and can buy them in threes, get six. Or nine  ;)

Or twelve ... Oh no then you'll have thirteen! Get 15 then!  ;) :rotfl:

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
I am very tempted to get 9 but I am worried either the shop wont actually have 9 left, or I will overstock on them...
My tank is 98L and has 4 cory's, 4 minnows and that other CPD in it. With plans for a pair of rams...
Would 10 CPD's be too many? The tank is pretty well planted so the CPD's will have a place to hide...

I am thinking of pulling out the front, middle plants (Lighter green) as they have grown VERY fast and are actually spawns of the two original ones I had which are planted either side... they have taken over the floor of the tank really...

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »
Being small and torpedo shaped they add little to the bioload. 10 instead of 7 will be fine.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
That's a lovely looking tank.  :cheers:

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 11:02:31 PM »
Good photos nice tank, I can even see your WCMMs, whenever I try to take a tank view I just get blurs where the fish are.

I have similar plants at the front of my tank and I am always removing plantlets which are attached by runners to the parent plant.  Otherwise they would take over the front of the tank and the cories would have nowhere to dig.

Anne

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »
Hi again, Will probably pull out the offspring of those plants and plant them into another tank.

As for the 'ill' CPD, it is now refusing to eat flakes, haven't tried anything else but I dont think the type of food is an issue.

I don't know if I can do anything to help it? it is just hovering in one spot just under the surface still...
I think it might end up starving itself...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 07:25:54 AM »
Have you tried live food? Daphnia might be worth trying?

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:51 AM »
I will try some Frozen 'live' food tonight, hopefully that will work...

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »
Tried frozen food, still ignores it...

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »
If a fish ignores frozen live food, it is not good. I'm afraid you'll have to prepare yourself that the fish won't make it  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "CPD thin and strange behavior "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2013, 03:43:00 PM
by Mervyn
1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 09:30:54 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 11:44:33 AM
by jenpink
3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2014, 09:47:15 PM
by jesnon
10 Replies
Last post November 01, 2014, 04:51:08 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2017, 09:46:05 PM
by MarquisMirage
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: