Faded, Shy Endler

Author Topic: Faded, shy Endler  (Read 3934 times) 3 replies

Offline selhurst sound

• Fish Fry
Faded, shy Endler
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all.  First time poster here!  After some advice with regards to a sorry-looking Endler in my tank.

The last couple of days he's been either hanging around on the bottom of the tank or sitting in the 0.5cm of water on top of the filter!  He doesn't appear to have any visual signs of anything wrong with him other them seeming a bit faded compared with the other Endlers in the tank.  He also hasn't shown much of an appetite in the last 48 hours.

About a week ago I lost a male guppy who seemed to endure similar symptoms.

I have a 150L Fluval tank, just over 6 months old.  Water readings today (API liquid test) were:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 (my tap water is also just below 40)
pH 7.4-7.6

I know the Nitrate is a bit on the high side but I'm sure I read somewhere that this level should be ok (can't remember where I saw it though!)

I do a weekly 25% water change & gravel vac.  There are also live plants - I'd probably call it 'medium-planted'.

Other tank inhabitants:

5 x Endlers
5 x Male Guppies
3 x Salt & Pepper Corys
3 x Platys
1 x Dwarf Gourami
1 x Ruby Shark
2 x Assassin Snails
5 x Amano Shrimp

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's wrong with the little guy, and a tad concerned that this has followed quickly after the loss of the Guppy.  The other half is convinced the entire tank is going down one by one!

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Guppy (male) (4) - Platy (3) - Endler's Livebearer (3) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Kribensis (2) - Bolivian Ram (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Faded, shy Endler
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »
I can't help you with your specific problem, but this is a good 'guppy health' web-site and what applies to guppies should apply to endlers.

http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Problems.html

Good general fish health site:

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/behavioral_disorders.html

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »
Do you know if your tapwater is soft or hard? Endlers do better in hard water - though having said that I have softish water and mine are thriving.
Other than that, it could just be a sickly fish. Guppies do tend to be delicate these days, they are more likely to get sick than endlers normally.
All I can suggest is keeping an eye on the others for now, and if more get sick, think about treating then.

Your nitrate isn't bad. With the exception of a few nitrate sensitive species, most fish only suffer when it's in the 100s. Since you have a tap nitrate of almost 40, you won't be able to get it lower without using RO water or having the tank planted like a jungle. Your aim should be to do enough water changes to keep it at or below your tap reading plus 20 just befroe a water change (when nitrate is at its highest)

Offline selhurst sound

• Fish Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
Thanks Colin, those sites look really useful - will certainly bookmark but still quite can't fit this case into one specific condition.

Sue - I'm in a hard water area.  Does feel a bit like a 'one of those things' case.  Probably best just to monitor and see what happens.  Have a feeling the current patient is not long for this world though  :-\

Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Guppy (male) (4) - Platy (3) - Endler's Livebearer (3) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Kribensis (2) - Bolivian Ram (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Faded, shy Endler"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 03:57:17 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 12:36:27 PM
by DutchyHolland
58 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 04:31:09 PM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: