Author Topic: Bloated Pygmy Cory  (Read 8616 times) 20 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Bloated Pygmy Cory
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I have a bloated Pygmy Cory . He also has a bit of his tail missing . He has had five days of treatment using waterlife for fin rott . The bloating continued I have put frozen daphnia in , in the hopes this would help .
Nothing has worked . Could i try an Epsom salt dip ? If so what are the quantities ?
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Bloated Pygmy Cory
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »
A few of have had problems with pygmy cories over the last few years, unfortunately.

An epsom salt bath is worth a try. You need plain epsom salts, not the kind with perfume.

1 teaspoonful per gallon of tank temp dechlorinated water - that's 1 x 5ml spoonful per 3.75 litres. Dissolve completely before putting the fish in it. Leave the fish in for up to 30 mins, twice a day. If the fish starts to look distressed, take it out of the bath immediately.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »
Hi
I've had these corys for about 15 months , I don't know how long they normally live for ? This is the first one who's shown signs of illness .
A

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
That's longer than some of mine have lasted  :-\ I do wonder if they are becoming inbred these days.

Try the epsom salts. Even if that doesn't work, you will have tried your best for the cory.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
Arnt cories extra sensitive to salt?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Yes, but a short bath should be OK. That's why you need to keep an eye on the fish while it is in the bath.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
I've been told by another site to leave him in it for days that's not right is it ??
A

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »
I would say not for for corys...  The logic stands that the longer the better, but the fish has to be able to cope with this.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
There are two ways to use epsom salts. One is to use a lower concentration in the tank itself, the other is to use at a higher concentration as a bath for a short duration.

I prefer the short duration baths, and certainly with soft water fish like cories. Hard water fish like livebearers or Rift Lake cichlids could tolerate having it added to the tank much better.

The idea behind epsom salts is that they draw fluid out of the fish's body. The higher concentration will do this more effectively, but then the fluid could well build up again between baths.
And if the fluid build up is caused by an infection of some kind (bacterial or viral) then epsom salts won't help unless the underlying infection is identified and cured.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
Dear Sue
I had treated the tank with myxazin . This bloating  has been very gradual . I have a new betta who bit his tail straight away after being added to the tank . So to prevent fin rott I treated the tank as at the same time I noticed a small bit of the corys tail missing !

It's the same Cory who is now bloated . The betta tail is growing back nicely but the Cory doesn't look great . I bought a hospital tank set it up and the new heater I bought off e bay wouldn't heat up above 23 degrees ! So I've had to abandon the tank and leave him in the main tank , and return the heater !!!
Ally

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:13:25 AM »
That heater sounds like the new one I got for my betta's tank  :(

I wonder if some sort of infection got in through the damaged tail. It is difficult to diagnose an infection and know which medication to use.
All you can do really is keep the tank water extra clean (more water changes than usual) and hope for the best.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Bloated Pygmy Cory still alive !
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
Hi
He's still alive I've fed frozen daphnia today which the corys seem to like. I bought prime today as I've got a slight nitrite spike . Can someone help me with doses . I have a 22 litre and the dose says 5 ml to every 200 litres of water . I normally do either 5.5 litre , or 10 litre water changes . How much would I need to add to both these. Is it ok to change to prime even though I have a different brand in the tank ?

Allison

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
For a 5.5 litre water change, you need 0.1375 ml Prime
For a 10 litre water change, you need 0.25 ml.

You will need a 1 ml syringe graduated into hundredths to measure those volumes. A babies' medicine dosing syringe is ideal, you can get them from a chemist. Be sure to ask for a babies medicine syringe or they'll want to know why you want a syringe - or at least I was asked that when I asked for just a syringe  :)

Yes, you can use Prime at the next water change, it is medicines that should not be mixed. You will just gradually replace all the old dechlorinator with Prime.
I know that Seachem refuse to say what is in Prime, but the chances are it contains the same chemical as your old dechlorinator to remove ammonia and the same chemical to bind metals. it mat contain a different 'slime coat promoter' and will also contain extra things that detoxify nitrite.
And don't forget that the detoxification of both ammonia and nitrite lasts only about 36 hours, and they will still register in the test and you will still need to do water changes to replenish the Prime.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi sue
I have this syringe so I think I would use for ten litres the 0.2 and a half measure ?
Is this the one you mean ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
That looks like the same syringe I have  :) Yes, for a 10 litre water change, half way between the 0.2 and 0.3 marks.

With a 22 litre tank you should be changing about 11 litre a week (50%) in normal circumstances but 10 litres is close enough. With a sick fish, you need to do that size water change more often - and if there is nitrite, every day. Prime will protect the fish till the next water change.

Do you know what happened for that nitrite to appear?

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi sue
I'm not certain what caused the spike but I have been trying to reseed a new sponge so I can take out the old one . So I cut a quarter off to go into the hospital tank . Thus allow d me to then be able to fit a new sponge on top of the other one,  that's only been in for a week. Or the ceramic beads in the cartridge were looking filthy cleaning them in The tank water wasn't doing a good job so I did it under  a running tap . I know I shouldn't but as I had two huge sponges In There and another carbon cartridge I thought it was safe. I also removed bogwood as it was smelling .
I've since added spiderwood also don't know if that's effected anything.
It's says to change the carbon 5-6 weeks I've had it in three weeks to remove medicine is that ok ? Can. Leave it in for 5 weeks .
What water percentage should I change daily while I have sick fish and nitrite issues. The nitrite isn't high it was only very slightly registering .

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
 Hi Sue
I normally do a 5.5 litre change midweek and a 10 litre change at the weekend . I do ten litre because that the size of the bucket lol

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »
What water percentage should I change daily while I have sick fish and nitrite issues.
Hi Ally,
Sue suggested doing 10-11 litre water changes every day while there are sick fish and nitrite issues, and I'd agree that this seems wise.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 09:37:11 PM »
Mature filters should be OK washed under the tap. It's immature filters that can be harmed as the biofilm hasn't grown properly yet. Once it is fully established it does a good job of protecting the bacteria. We usually say to wash it in tank water just in case - and because we don't know just how mature any members' filter are.

If it is just a mini cycle, it should be over very soon, they typically last only a few days. Just do daily water changes till there is no trace of any nitrite.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Sue posted at the same time...

It's likely that washing the ceramic beads in tap water is what did it. However much biomedia you have in a tank , you can only grow enough bacteria to support the fish load in the tank and no more. So removing some and washing it in chlorinated water will kill as much bacteria as the percentage of surface area removed. 

As a result, you'll be in a mini cycle so I also think the water change regime Sue has suggested is sensible.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bloated Pygmy Cory "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 11:26:38 AM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 07:02:28 PM
by fcmf
25 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2015, 08:04:56 PM
by Cod_only_knows
8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 06:07:43 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
by apache6467
1 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 09:25:37 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: