Author Topic: Another Pygmy Cory problem  (Read 4480 times) 9 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Another Pygmy Cory problem
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've just found my last three Pygmy Corys dead. :( (Water parameters all fine and all the other fish seem to be perfectly healthy)

TBH I was expecting it after having three die in the space of a fortnight about two weeks ago, although they'd all seemed perfectly happy for three months.

I'm disappointed as they were fantastic little fish but I'm really not sure whether or not to try again with this species or give up and find a different fish to keep in their place.

I had planned on getting 12 in total once I've installed my external filter.

The thing is, I think a few people here have had difficulty with this particular species, so I'm wondering if the breed is becoming inherently weak through over-breeding.
Or perhaps we've been unlucky and they can be kept successfully if you get a good batch.

Thanks for the thread title idea fcmf

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Another Pygmy Cory problem
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
I can only say that I too had problems with pygmy cories last year but so far this year the more recent purchases have been fine (except the one that got stuck in the siphon tube during a water change but that was my fault not something wrong with the fish  :-[ ).

I don't know what to suggest other than if you want them, try again from a different shop - and not just another branch of the same shop if you got them from a chain.

If you did go for something else, what would you go for?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
I'm not  sure what I'd go for instead. TBH I'm having a hard time thinking of dropping the breed altogether as they offer a lot to a community tank, and I did take care choosing a subsrrate that suits them.

Someone on my local Facebook group has a load, that won't stop breeding apparently, so I might discuss taking some off his hands ...

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
Sorry to hear that. How are the Stiphodons doing? Mine is a little territorial now he's settled in the tank. My Pseudomugil aren't allowed near any algae wafers I drop in the tank. He can't stop my Devil Snail though!!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that. How are the Stiphodons doing? Mine is a little territorial now he's settled in the tank. My Pseudomugil aren't allowed near any algae wafers I drop in the tank. He can't stop my Devil Snail though!!

Well the Stiphodons are still in their QT tank - they have eaten wafer but they're not voracious eaters yet

The first week they spent most of the time hiding away underneath the half-pot and rocks in the corner.

This week, since Saturday, they have all been spending more time swimming around, up the sides of the tank and so on and so I've managed to get a far better look at them.

Although, as they're not in a lit tank so I still can't be sure, one is far darker than the others who are both very pale. I'm hoping this means I have a male and two females.

I'll move them into the main tank one of the days this coming weekend. Looking forward to it.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
That would be great. Paleness can be a sign of stress though, so keep an eye. Females usually have different patterning to males.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
Good grief - I thought I was reading my own thread as your story is so similar to mine was, so I empathise entirely.

Re Sue's point, I noticed pygmy cories in a couple of shops lately and there was quite a difference in terms of colouring and activity levels, so definitely worth considering, or taking some from the local FB user.  If you do go down that route, though, then I'd go for a minimum of 12 - it would be really interesting to see if increased numbers make a difference at all. 

One of my numerous theories and reflections on the pygmy cories situation was whether a slightly bigger cory, similar sized to the other fish, might do better - would panda cories be of interest to you as an alternative option?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »
I am keen on the Pygmys and find their small stature particularly appealing. If I do get them again I'd buy 12, although probably 2 shoals of 6 a few weeks apart.

I think, if I decided not to get Pygmy Cories again I'd be looking at Otos, as I had decided on them before the Stiphodons became available.

Thanks for the comments.

It's useful talking options over and getting other Fishkeepers' opinions. I'm so glad I found this place.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 07:52:17 AM »
Agree that there is something about their stature - and behaviour/activity - that is particularly appealing. At the weekend, I found some lovely video footage of mine from Feb - all together and it was very endearing to watch.

I agree - great site to find and swap ideas with a small, friendly community.  :cheers:

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
I love this place too, but it makes me want to buy all manner of fish, inverts and even plants! If it wasn't for my wife I'd be drowning in tanks!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Another Pygmy Cory problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 11:26:38 AM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 07:02:28 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
by Extreme_One
25 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 06:07:43 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
by apache6467
20 Replies
Last post October 23, 2017, 12:08:14 PM
by Ally2

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: