Author Topic: Another fish poo thread!!  (Read 4307 times) 4 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Another fish poo thread!!
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

I got my first fish yesterday!!!! 

Two platies. A male and female (I think!). They were very stressed yesterday and spent the first hour with one rushing around and looking for a way out and the other floating just below the surface and keeping very still. I checked in my fishlopedia and decided they were normal stress reactions as their breathing rate was through the roof!!  By the evening they had chilled out and were investigating the tank and the ornaments etc.

This morning they were both happy enough. Got a bit stressed when I put the aquarium lights on but calmed down again after about forty minutes.

Neither of them were in the slightest bit interested in the two flakes I dropped in but then the female had a nibble a bit later and they have all gone now.

My main observations that concern me are that they have both passed lots of poo. Some of it brown, some of it red and some of it white. At first I thought the red poos could be worms but they are not moving and I remember the shop fed orangey red food. Do you think I should be concerned or give them a bit longer to settle before I worry?

The other thing I have seen is the male keeps going into the corner of the tank and shimmying. He chooses the same corner every time and it is where the water flow from the filter is strongest, he does seem to like either 'riding' the current or swimming against it!!!

One thing I will mention: my nitrite levels were a fraction higher than the shops - mine were 1mg/l the shops were 0. I've tested today and mine are still 1mg/l.

Could I just have some opinions as to whether I should be concerned about either of these things please??

many thanks,

FC

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Another fish poo thread!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
Fish poo is usually the colour of the food they've been fed. If the shop was using orangey red food, the poo while that food was passing out of their system would be red. If you feed vegetables like peas, their poo will be green. The poo that might be cause for concern is white stringy poo, though I've never been absolutely sure what stringy poo means. That can be caused by internal infections or parasites but is often accompanied by the fish looking skinny. While they are new I would wait till they've settled in before worrying.
And platies do poo a lot!

The behaviour you have seen is common in newly purchased fish. They have been though a lot, from being in the shop tank and gawked at and had a fish net put in the tank every so often; being caught in a net themselves; then put into a new, unfamiliar tank with different water than they are used to. Some fish get over the stress quickly, others take longer. And it is common for fish to not realise that your food is food if the shop fed something different.

But, your nitrite reading does give cause for concern. What are you using to test with, strips or a liquid tester? And do you have an ammonia reading? I remember you said you were doing a fishless cycle - did that finish OK with 3ppm ammonia dropping to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours?
Strips do tend to be less accurate than liquid testers, and an ammonia reading would help.

Because I don't know what your ammonia reading is I will recommend doing a water change. The nitrite level needs to be below 0.25, so with a reading of 1.0, you need to change at least three quarters of the water in the tank. With that amount of water, you need to get the temperature of the new water the same as the tank or the temp difference can shock the fish - comparing the temps with your hand is close enough. And don't forget to dechlorinate the new water.

Incidentally, you really could do with another female. Males harass females constantly and it is recommended to have at least two females for every male to spread out the harassment. But not yet, not until your readings for ammonia and nitrite stay at zero.

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
Congratulations on your new fishies!
Sue's right.....platies do poo a lot....an awful lot :) She's also right about your nitrite readings..something amiss there. Did you have that reading before you put your fish in? Anyway, don't get too worried, you'll sort it out with Sue's guidance, but like she said, first thing to do is a BIG water change....and keeping doing them until you get the nitrite reading right.

One more thing, it will be interesting to see how long it is before your 2 platies turn in to 20 ;D ;D ;D They're frisky little devils ;)

Good luck with your new residents though :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Hi,

I followed your advice Sue and yesterday I did a 50% water change.  The fish thought this was fab!!! George (my male) was so impressed that he has decided today that he would like to mate and poor old Peppa (my female) is being somewhat harassed!!!  I have given her a hidey place but she is not too sure of it, although George has just found it and has had a little look!!

Anyway, did a nitrite test today and still reading 1mg/l!!!!    Not sure what to do to bring it down that last little bit.  I am going out shortly so will get some Ammonia tests while I'm out (incidentally, I was told that I didn't need to do Ammonia tests as if my nitrite was low/zero I could assume my Ammonia was too) is there anything else I can do???

I would like to get another female to take the heat off Peppa a bit but as you say Sue, not until my water is sorted.  My levels did peak about two weeks in to my fishless cycle but then they got stuck at 1mg/l and were like this for another 2 weeks. I decided to risk it and put fish in to see if this finished the cycle, which I'm sure is going to get a lot of gasps of horror and to be honest I am sorry that I  did not wait but the fish do seem very happy and hungry and I'm assuming they wouldn't want to mate if they were not happy?!

Anyway must go!!  Will check in later for suggestions.

FC

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »

incidentally, I was told that I didn't need to do Ammonia tests as if my nitrite was low/zero I could assume my Ammonia was too

You can have one, the other or both high.

Ammonia gets high first, and nitrite is zero. Then ammonia drops slowly while nitrite increases so you have both until ammonia reaches zero; then nitrite also falls till both are zero.
Unless you also test for ammonia you can't know just where you are in that process.

The fact that you have nitrite means that you do have some ammonia eating bacteria, but you can't know if you have enough of them without a tester - they do take a while to grow. The fish are constantly making ammonia, which is turning into nitrite so that too is constantly being made. You will have to do water changes until you have zero readings for both ammonia and nitrite.

Ideally, you would do a water change and test after half an hour - this is to allow the new and old water to mix thoroughly. The readings should be lower than before the water change. But they will go back up again so you need to test every day, morning and evening being better, and do a water change every time you see a reading above 0.25. This might mean daily or even twice daily water changes.

Platies, like most common livebearers, have one-track minds. A male would probably try to mate on the point of death.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Another fish poo thread!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 10:57:03 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
192 Replies
Last post September 03, 2016, 11:59:36 AM
by Sue
24 Replies
Last post May 23, 2016, 10:45:57 AM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 12:01:59 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:17:13 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: