Author Topic: Accidental over feed.  (Read 4516 times) 7 replies

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Accidental over feed.
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Good morning all. :wave:

I gave my Tetra's a change for their breakfast yesterday, granule's from the pepper pot feeder.
Trouble is I opened the wrong side and emptied half the pot into the tank ending up with a mound of food on the bottom. :rotfl: :vcross:

The tank was due for its weekly 20% water change anyway so I did that yesterday washing the ornament's and cleaning filters etc. Getting most of the excess food out. C:-)

However the tank water is now milky foggy due to the excessive food. The neon's having to swim around with their fog lights on in the low bisavility. :fishy1:

Question is, do I change some water again or leave the fog to disperse. :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Accidental over feed.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
It could be that all that organic matter you dropped in the tank has caused a bacterial bloom. These bacteria which live in the water column rather than in the biofilm multiply very quickly and we see them as the cloudiness. They feed on organic matter and water changes rarely solve the problem because you can't keep up with the speed they multiply. You have to wait till they've used all their food and die off.
Bacterial blooms usually occur in new tanks where the organic matter is plasticiser in the new plastic eg filter casing so you can't remove it and have to wait it out. But your organic matter is the solid food. Doing a water change was the right thing to do, but I would also do a daily water change for several days and give the gravel a good clean each time to get as much of the food out as possible. Less food for the bacteria means they die sooner. And keep a check on your ammonia and nitrite levels as any food caught in the gravel will decompose to make ammonia.
The only problem the fish might have, besides as potential ammonia/nitrite spike, is lack of oxygen as these bacteria will use a lot. Make sure the filter is rippling the surface, or even move it up slighlty so the water falls back in the tank - but not so high as to damage the filter.

And be careful next time  ;)

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
Thank you Sue.

I wasn't sure whether to many water changes would stress the fish to much, so I will take your advice.

BTW I have not had the light on in the tank for some time now which seems to have all but dispersed the dreaded green algae.

Many thanks.

Offline gummy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »
My best advise is to put some tape over the flap on your food so you dont open the wrong end, :rotfl:

i`ve done the same thing twice now when feeding, till my brain kicked in :isay:

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »
This is one reason I measure the food into my hand first. I am so clumsy I'd probably drop the whole tub in  ;D

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35:19 AM »
i bought some  small sealing tupper ware tubs and i tend to empty the food into the tub and store it there as its far easier to take a pinch of food from the tub than it is to try to get the right amount out from a shake of the packet or trying to squeze your fingers into a small tub or packet.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »
For most of my fish I use New Life Spectrum food which comes in nice fat screw top pots rather than those tall thin tubs. The betta's food is Hikari which came in a blister pack, but I kept the Atisons pot and transfered the Hikari in there.

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
Normal service seems to have been resumed as soon as possible with the water clear again and the Tetra's are happy. Strangely enough they didn't seem to like the granule's much any way, after being carpet bombed with it They prefer the flaky type you shred into your hands.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Accidental over feed."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 01:55:31 PM
by dbaggie
0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 04:23:21 PM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 09:22:11 PM
by Ally2
4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 07:45:24 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2019, 12:56:07 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 01:38:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: