A Sad Little Green Tiger Barb

Author Topic: A sad little Green Tiger Barb  (Read 20277 times) 55 replies

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
Re: A sad little Green Tiger Barb
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Argh!!!!! White spots on the guppy, that'll be the problem!!!  I'm on my way to the LFS now to get some treatment!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
This image has 5 and 6 the wrong way round I'm afraid.  The fins nearest the gills are the pectoral fins, the fins a little further back are the Pelvic or Ventral fins.

Hiya Steve ... so it is. I didn't look at those bits, I was concentrating on the naughty bits. You know what those sex-ed lessons were like! ;D ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
Argh!!!!! White spots on the guppy, that'll be the problem!!!  I'm on my way to the LFS now to get some treatment!!

That could well be making the fish off-colour.

Because of the nature of the whitespot parasite you'll need to follow the instructions on the bottle to the letter. The parasite has three stages to its lifecycle and it can only be killed in one of them. The first stage is attached to the fish where it eats the fish's tissues - this is what we see as the spots. They have a coating round them so the medication can't get to them. When they've eaten enough, they fall off - stage 2. They sit on the bottom of the tank inside the coating and multiply - and again, the med can't get to them. Stage 3 is when the cysts split open and the tiny parasites go looking for a fish to infect. This free swimming stage is the only one where it can be killed. When a tank has whitespot there will be parasites in all three stages, and there must be some med still in the water when every last one gets to stage 3.
Turning the heater up to ~30oC will make the parasite go through its lifecycle faster so it will be killed faster

That nice new carbon you've just bought - have you put it in the tank yet? I ask because it will remove the medication so if you've put some in, you'll need to take it back out before treating. If you haven't used it yet save it till the whitespot has gone and use it to remove the medication.
What exactly do you have in your filter? I assume you have carbon as you've just bought more, but what else is in there? Sponge? Ceramics?

The only problem you may have is if you find ammonia when you test as you will need to do water changes. If there is ammonia, you'll need to do as big a water change as necessary to dilute it to virtually zero - certainly to well below 0.25. And the same for nitrite if you get a reading for that.
The way to do the water changes while also treating for whitespot:
  • do a big water change and gravel clean before adding the first dose. That will remove a lot of the cysts (stage 2) off the bottom of the tank.
  • most whitespot med are dosed on certain days with gaps between. If it's a dosing day, do the water change then add the full dose
  • if it's not a dosing day, do a water change and add the amount of medication for the volume of new water only

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »
I've had a carbon filter in since the beginning, I have just bought some more filter though. It's blue this time, whatever that is.  I've cut the carbon filter in half and replaced it with the blue so it's 50/50 now, will that work or will I need to replace the whole lot?

The whitespot med I've bought is eSHa EXIT Whitespot treatment, it's to be added over three days. Reading the info leaflet it tells me to add 6-7 drops on day one and then 3 drops on days two and three. It says do a water change prior to adding the med, which I did a couple of days ago so I've not done one again. The info leaflet says you should see an improvement after 1-2 days. The LFS said it should be gone after 9-14 days.

Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
So your filter just had carbon  :o

What make is it, I'll see if I can find the manual.
I despair of some filters being made nowadays. I just can't understand why they have media that has to be replaced, throwing away all the bacteria every time. Such filters can never be cycled without some drastic changes to the media.

Make sure you turn the temperature up as well as adding the medicaition. Sometimes the dosing regime is too short if you leave the temp at 25-ish. It needs to be around 30 to speed up the whitespot's lifecycle. As it's only temporary the fish will be OK. But make sure the filter outflow is rippling the surface well. The warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold, and in addition, some meds remove oxygen so you need to make sure plenty is getting into the water.
The problem with whitespot is that even though it has gone from the fish, it won't all be dead yet. Keep on treating even if there are no spots left on the fish.

If you see ammonia or nitrite when you test (which you should be doing twice a day) you'll have to do a water change to get them down well below 0.25. Do it just before you add the med.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
My filter is  : Hidom Submersible Internal Aquarium Filter & Spray Bar Marine Tropical Fish Tank

It comes with a single filter which is the carbon filter which I would describe as being about the size of a fun size mars bar! I have the spray bar quite high up so it drops the water with some force causing a lot of bubbles right down at the bottom of the tank and hopefully leaving the water well oxygenated......when my fish were healthy they used to line up to swim through the bubbles!  I now have a mix of filter sponge inside the filter, which I am hoping will improve the filtration.

The first stage of med has gone in, I'm glad to hear is only temporary as the platy is starting to slow down a bit now. Hopefully I've caught it in the nick of time and it'll clear up.

I've put the temperature up to 28 but I'll put it up some more.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
Well in the time it's taken me to the write the last post we've had a fatality!!! My little ASBO guppy has been found at the bottom of the tank upside down. I tried moving him about in the net a little but he's definitely a goner!! (I hope so anyway cos he's down the toilet now)

Fingers crossed for the platy now, hope he makes it through the next few days.

I've got to break the news to my three year old daughter in the morning!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
Sorry to hear about your guppy.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »
Sorry to hear about the guppy. It sounds as though there were more problems than just the whitespot. A lot of experienced fishkeepers will not keep guppies because of them dying, an all too common problem nowadays. Yours could well have been one of these weaker fish.

If one fish had whitespot, the whole tank is infected so you need to continue the treatment. The half of the old carbon filter still in the filter, in theory, will remove the med but in pratice if it's been there more than a couple of weeks it should be 'full' and not remove any med.
Because all you have in the filter is half the old carbon filter and half a new sponge, you need to be very careful about what you do next. The remains of the carbon media will contain half the bacteria you had. But you now only have half the fish you had, so that should be enough bacteria. Don't touch the remaining part of the carbon media. You need to wait until you've grown some bacteria in the new sponge before you touch the carbon. That will take at least 4 weeks, maybe six.
Leave the filter alone (apart from a light clean in old tank water that you take out during a water change). In a couple of months, take out the last bit of carbon media and put more sponge in its place. Then you'll have just 2 bits of sponge, which is good.
Forget what I said about using some new carbon to get rid of the med when the treatment is over - that's only for when you have some other mature media in the filter which you don't have. You can remove the med by doing more water changes - you'll be doing those anyway if you find any ammonia or nitrite in the water.

I've googled your filter but the manufacturer's website doesn't appear to have the manuals. (Some do have manuals available as downloads, which is very useful for someone like me to find out about other people's filters  ;D  )

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »
Well the platy has certainly plucked up this morning. I'm not sure whether its because of the ASBO guppy going or the whitespot treatment taking effect, or maybe it's because of the increase in temperature. Last night and early this morning he was very quite but now he's more like an annoying child with ADHD whose eaten one too many E numbers!!!

No signs of whitespot on him, I've got two more days of meds to add to the tank and then I was going to leave it until the middle of next week before I do a water change again.  Does this sound about right?

Thanks for the info about the carbon filter.  Should I eventually leave carbon out altogether and only use it when/if I need to clear meds out of the water in the future? I'll obviously leave it there for the time being as you mentioned Sue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
Good to hear about the platy.

You don't actually need carbon in a filter full time. I haven't used any for years, not since I discovered I don't need it. So once the new bit of sponge has grown some bacteria, in a couple of months replace the last bit of carbon with more sponge. Sponge only needs changing when it literally falls apart.
I have a very small cheap filter that spends most of its time in the cupboard. I put a bag of carbon in it if I ever need to use it rather than try to squash the carbon in my main filter  :D

Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite now that you've taken half the old filter media out. If you see either of them, do a water change. If you don't, yes leave it till the middle of next week. Once you are sure the whitespot is gone (no sign of spots on the platy for a week) then do a big water change - at least 50%, then daily 20% water changes for a week. That will remove the vast majority of the med. Then go back to weekly maintenance water changes. Don't forget to turn the heater back down as well  ;D

Something I should have mentioned before - don't replace the guppy just yet. Wait until you are absolutely sure the whitespot is gone and you've done the water changes to remove the med. The things involved with getting new fish (catching them in the shop tank, being in a bag, being put into different water etc) are stressful enough for a fish without being put into water with medication in and that's a lot warmer than it's used to.

Offline water watcher

• Fishy Member
  • Do we look after fish, or the water they're in?
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
This may be hi-jacking a little bit but it is sort of relevant.

I use 2 internal filters in every tank. This is a redundancy feature as i have had issues in the past with pumps breaking, or needing to add carbon etc. The 2 pumps always over-size so if i want to i can have additional fish. It also means i can add carbon to one filter if i need to take meds out or change the sponge in one filter with little effect to the tank.

Plus if i ever get a new tank i can take the sponge out of a filter and add it to the new system, it makes cycling easier.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »
Water levels checked again all seems ok.  Ammonia is at 0, nitrate is 25, nitrite is 0 and all the others are as before.

Platy is doing ok, no white spots. I've added the last dosage of meds today, so i'll give it until next week then I'll do a water change/clean. I've also put the new carbon I bought into a spare filter I have. Should I use this filter to help remove the rest of the meds after I do a water change next week?

Eventually I shall just use bio-filter as the normal filter and then my spare filter with the carbon to remove any impurities I may have to add in the future.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
That all sounds good. The 25ppm Nitrate.... is that from your tap water? I know that in my area (South Bucks) then Thames Water kindly supplies us with water at 25ppm Nitrates. It might be worth testing your tap water then you know what's being added by your tank. Just a thought.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
Good stuff. Sorry to hear about your guppy.

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
Yes it's the tap water. I've checked that before.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "A sad little Green Tiger Barb"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
28 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
by Sanjo
6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post December 04, 2022, 09:45:56 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: