Author Topic: (another) poorly platy  (Read 5793 times) 8 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
(another) poorly platy
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks
Just wondering if anyone has any advice about my poor platy, Mickey.
She has suddenly gone very skinny and seems to be really working hard to stay afloat. As soon as she slows down she starts to sink to the bottom. She has started to hide away in the plants, and only really comes out to feed. She always makes a big effort to get to the surface for food, though and seems very hungry.
I have started treating the tank with melafix but not sure if this is a good idea or not. I don't think she's old - I've only had her for about 3 months. Water tests coming back OK and all other fish seem fine so far.

I thought about taking her out and feeding her separately, but I think that would stress her even more - she's always been more sensitive than the other platies. Can't see any sign of worms, and she seems to be pooing!

Any thoughts would be welcome! Thanks

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: (another) poorly platy
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
It could be swim bladder problems. Do you feed your platy with vegitables at least once a week. Blanched and skinned peas are a favourite of my platy. Keeps him 'regular' and avoids constricting the swim bladder (so I'm told).

Poo watch time..... is it white stringy poo? 'cos that's bad!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
Aaagh!.....'Poo Watch' is back :yikes:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
I have never tried the veggies. I will give it a go. No white stringy poo observed! Today she is swimming around and looks a bit better, but her sides are almost caved in compared to the other two platies I have.

Don't worry Resa, I'm not going to make this into another poo thread. Although having said that, I'm not sure there are enough mentions of different poo types on the site yet, so maybe...  ;) ;)

Offline Resa

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:17:28 AM »
Hi Lou :wave:

I suppose I shouldn't really moan about 'poo threads', as I have got a brilliant book all about poo, pellets and pee! :sick: It shows you different tracks and all sorts made by different animals. I got it to find out what was going through our garden...it's really fascinating :D

This morning I found some boar poo in the garden, presumably from the one that came tearing down our drive a couple of nights ago. He ran across in front of our friends car when they visited last week and I guess he's probably part of the family group that we have seen now and then.

I  have to say though, on the subject of boar poo,  that it's a whole lot bigger than platy poo....you wouldn't want it in your tank :rotfl:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Thanks everyone (esp. Resa for the informative article about boar poo). Mickey is still hanging on in there but getting very skinny indeed. Minnie (the bigger female) is now bullying Mickey constantly. Do you think this is because she's ill or why she's ill? I never noticed it before but Minnie is really going for her quite mercilessly.

I have two females and one male. The male seems completely disinterested in the females and vice versa. He is blue and they are orange - perhaps he doesn't like redheads?? - is it usual for the females to fight over the male?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
Females don't usually fight each other, though there is always the possibility of a rogue fish.
However, healthy fish will pick on a sick fish, especially shoaling fish (though platies aren't shoaling fish). Sick fish are more easily picked off and attract predators. The other fish don't want to attract the attentions of a predator so will kill a sick member of the shoal so a predator doesn't see it.

If the fish is not eating, that would account for the skinniness; but if she is eating and is still skinny it suggests internal parasites.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »
Hi lou,

I had a similar problem with one of my platys, pedro. He became very skinny, almost concave and had trouble swimming in a straight line. i treated all my platys for internal parasites and for gill flukes but unfortunately pedro didn't survive and i never did find out what was wrong with him.

If you have room could you separate her? Might be worth treating with a broad range treatment like esha 2000. Sue could probably advise better on this.

I hope shes ok.

FC76

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Amazingly Mickey is still alive! I treated the tank with Melafix for a few days so I don't know if that made any difference. She is still skinny and shy but seems to be spending less time at the bottom of the tank and Minnie is leaving her alone too. So we will see... :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "(another) poorly platy"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 02:26:57 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 11:04:41 AM
by Loubaa
5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 02:01:00 PM
by Alex_N
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
by fish-friends
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: