Which Are The Best Fish Foods?

Author Topic: Which are the best fish foods?  (Read 11298 times) 5 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Which are the best fish foods?
« on: January 23, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

Following my oily scum post I have been looking into new foods to try and just wondered what everyone else uses.

My current foods are: aquarium munster Dr Bassleer biofish food excel flake, Acti actimin complete flake food, PAH love fish tropical and catfish pellets and Tetra Pleco multi wafers. The flake foods are fed more often than the pellets or wafers and i feed frozen bloodworm occasionally too.

Many thanks,

FC76

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Which are the best fish foods?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »
Hi,

The staple food I've been using for my x-ray tetras and pygmy cories is AquaCare Tropical Flakes. The tetras seem keen on Hikari micro pellets too, possibly because they're reddish and easily seen on the water surface; Hikari micro wafers look very like these pellets rather than wafers, and are an alternative to the micro pellets, eaten and enjoyed mainly by the tetras.

More recently, I've bought Hikari tropical mini algae wafers (very popular among the cories), and Tetra FreshDelica daphnia as a treat (popular with both the tetras and cories). I also bought some New Life Spectrum small fish formula as I thought that the cories weren't getting a chance to try the micro pellets or micro wafers due to the tetras getting in first, and/or that these foods were too big for their tiny mouths, but the tetras seem to get there first with this small fish formula - hopefully this will change with the helpful suggestions you and others have given for a more equitable distribution of food in the tank.

This may sound like a large variety of food - a bit too much online shopping one day - but I'm not overfeeding them.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »
My main dry food is New Life Spectrum flakes and NLS pellets. I also have Hikari shrimp cuisine for the cherry shrimps and Hikari betta pellets for my betta. In the freezer I have blood worm, brine shrimp and cyclops. And peas.

I would prefer Atisons betta food but couldn't get any last time I needed a pack.
I have pygmy cories in my 50 litre tank so I grind the sinking pellets up smaller for them. I also grind the shrimp food so the baby shrimp can manage it. Of course the fish also eat the shrimp food and the shrimps eat the fish food.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
I'm using a variety of stuff:

Fish Science mini algae wafers
Hikari micro pellets
New Era Tropical Flake
Cheap 'Poundshop' flake
and a selection of foods from a 'tester' pack bought from cheap-fish-food.co.uk

I use one of those little pill crusher do-dahs to crunch up the little pellets, the Hikari stuff doesn't need this though. Some micro pellets (supposedly 'floaters') that I got on ebay really need crunching up for little mouths.

Everybody seems to like the New Era flakes. I tend to break them up in to tiny bits in a little plastic cup thingy, dip it in the tank, swish it around and then empty it in.

Offline bferg4

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »
Aquarian tropical flake food, have frozen brineshimp and bloodworms.

catfish sinkers, make is Underworld I think.

Hikari first bites (baby Kribs) and Hikari Betta pellets.

Will occasionally get some live food but rarely.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »
My basic food is "Wilko Fishy Feast Tropical Flakes" from any Wilkinson store, 100 grams for £3. I've always used it and the fish seem to enjoy it and thrive, so why pay far more for an expensive branded food?

I also bulk buy from EBay, freeze dried food (tubifex, brine shrimp, bloodworm),algae wafers, mini granules and sinking pellets. All of these are a fraction of the cost of what I would pay locally and together provide a good variety for the different fish, supplemented by occasional live or frozen food.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which are the best fish foods?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 06:20:07 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 04:34:38 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 06:40:06 PM
by MarquisMirage
2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 09:22:11 PM
by Ally2
6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 09:17:55 AM
by jaypeecee
9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2020, 07:20:42 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: