To Crush Or Not To Crush That Is The Question.

Author Topic: To crush or not to crush that is the question.  (Read 15009 times) 11 replies

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
To crush or not to crush that is the question.
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:39:27 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, well it is Shakespeare's week ;D I feed my fish (see creator list) a mixture of a couple of the following, TetraPro colour crisps, AquaCare pro-colour granules, API flake and JMC catfish pellets. I put the mix into an old coffee measuring spoon and crush them into a fine powder/dust before tipping the lot into the tank. Am I doing right in crushing the food or should I just put it in as it comes from the tub. I'm a bit concerned that if I put it in straight from the tubs some of the fish might choke on the larger pieces. As you can see from my list the smallest fish are the Pygmy Corydoras and the largest at the moment are the Rosy Tetras, one of which is probably about full size. I also feed frozen food (thawed of course) but they go in as is.
Almost forgot to ask, I have reduced the flow on my Fluval 206 to about 70% as the flow seemed a bit fierce, will this affect the efficiency of the filter to any degree and if so by how much, I'm at about 75% stocking according to the creator.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Black Widow Tetra (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Diamond Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: To crush or not to crush that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »
Just roughly crush the flakes in to a variety of sizes - you'll be fine.

If the nitrates are going up rapidly then you'll need more flow through the filter to process them. You only need a two to three times per hour turn-over of your tank water so I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you're doing your weekly water changes. Just test your water parameters before each change so you know what's going on.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
I crush food to the size the smallest occupant of the tank can eat. I crush it smaller for the 50 litre than the 180 litre, you'll see the fish listed in my signature. It doesn't need to be powdered except for fry.

The downside to feeding whole flakes or pellets is the greediest/fastest fish eat all the food before the slower/shyer fish get to it. With more particles (ie crushed) the fast ones can't catch all of it before the slow ones get a chance.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
I crush the flakes as well. Just roughly, rather than all of it into a powder, but everyone seems to be able to get some.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
I've got threadfins which have very small gullets and can only eat very small particles of food. So I flake some of mine into smaller particles, that goes in the opposite side of the tank just after I add the bigger food for the greedier faster feeders. That said I have to say I'm a bit concerned about 2 of my females which are looking a bit skinny.

I break up soft catfish pellets into various sizes for the different tanks. My pygmy cories have just started to eat that at feeding time.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
I find that simply picking up a pinch of flake is enough to break some down into smaller pieces.
If you can drop the food straight in front of the filter outlet, especially if you have a spray bar, it will be very quickly distributed around the tank, giving everyone a chance to get some.
Some fish have a surprisingly big mouth for their size, I'm often amazed how a Harlequin can make a big piece of flake disappear instantly!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
I was amazed when I first got my tiger barbs and I saw one of the tiger them suck in a flake which I swear was bigger than its head. I have to use the spray bar to distribute the food in that tank as the dominant ones feed very quickly at the surface.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
And another one who drops it in the filter outflow  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
The glowlights suck in huge flakes, I'm often surprised they don't choke. Because my outlet is positioned diagonally the food does get dispersed across the tank, so maybe I'm cosseting my threadfins a bit  :-[

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 09:49:12 PM »
For flakes, I just take a pinch and rub it between my fingers and the finer flakes drop into the water.

I feed the cories on micro pellets which I don't break up to discourage the glowlight danios from eating them as well as all the flake fish food.  The V Platies eat both, so do the WCMMs, thinking about it the cories do as well. I am beginning to feel a bit sorry for the glowlight danios but they are crazy for food and even manage to make the Platies look like picky eaters in comparison.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »
I have seen micro flakes available in some LFS, not tried them though...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
Some of my fish (namely, the two female tetras) will eat anything regardless of size and will forage at the bottom for any leftovers. Others (namely, the two smallest harlequins) are very fussy and won't eat anything either too large or too small. For that reason, I tend to cut the flakes with the straight edge of a tiny square-shaped, plastic spoon like the ones that come with cinema ice-cream tubs.

Another advantage of cutting food is that, for fish that are prone to bloating (and at least some of my pygmy cories had this problem) or buoyancy/swimbladder problems (by virtue of their rounded abdomens eg fancy goldfish whose intestines seem to press on their swimbladder), then it means that at least the likelihood of a disproportionately large piece of flake causing an internal blockage is reduced.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "To crush or not to crush that is the question."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 05:56:58 PM
by Mervyn
2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 05:11:40 PM
by Mervyn
4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 12:11:01 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 07:57:01 PM
by Sue
43 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2014, 07:23:49 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 11:08:41 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: