See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

To Blanch Or Not To Blanch?.....

Author Topic: To blanch or not to blanch?.....  (Read 412 times)

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
To blanch or not to blanch?.....
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi just a quick question, we have some fresh courgette, and I was wondering should it be blanched before feeding to our tropical fish?

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Re: To blanch or not to blanch?.....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
Not too sure but most people reccomned to and then adding a lead weight, spoon or childrens  fork (not sharp) to make the veggies sink

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
Raw courgette is quite hard, so I'd recommend blanching it, even if just to soften it a little and thereby make it more palatable. My tropical fish don't seem to recognise courgette as food; however, garlic seems to entice fish towards food, so, if I were you, I'd blanch it and then insert some crushed garlic into it to "teach" them to recognise the courgette as food.
 :fishy1:

Offline hampalong

• Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
I would never blanch any veg to feed to fish. As veg softens and breaks down naturally it releases different compounds at different stages, which means it tastes different at different stages, and fish usually have a preference as to when they eat it. I've had a few fish that wait till it's soft but most prefer to start on it unblanched, ime.

If it's Plecs you're feeding, most of them eat at least a little bit of wood, so they can easily manage unblanched veg.

:)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
Freezing it also softens it.
Because we don't eat courgette (husband refuses to eat it  ::) ) when I fed it to the fish I would slice a whole courgette and freeze it on a tray, then bag it once it was frozen. I left a slice on a plate till it was thawed, skewered it on a teaspoon and put it in the tank.

However, I don't know if that does the same to the courgette in chemical terms as blanching it  ???

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today (see below)

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a one off Donation or a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Starting from less than 2p per day; your subscription will help fund new articles, pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?
Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: