See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Tetra Weekend Food

Author Topic: Tetra Weekend Food  (Read 770 times)

Offline ID2

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Tetra Weekend Food
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

Iím going away for a week and Iíve got some Tetra Weekend food sticks for the fish.

It says on the box for my size tank:

Number of Fish
8-18

Days of Absence
2-3 days = 1 stick
4-6 days = 2 sticks

I have less than 8 fish (only 2 platies) but Iím out of the house for 6 whole days....so should I go with 1 stick or 2 do you think?

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: Tetra Weekend Food
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »
From what little I've heard about those food sticks, I'd be inclined to think of some other plan...  They have a pretty poor reputation... 

Offline ID2

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:21:42 PM »
Really?! Oh dear. Why such a poor reputation?

I have nobody to feed them while Iím away.

Any other suggestions?  :-\

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Super Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 04:59:29 AM »
Leave them, they'll be fine. Feed them up before you go if you want to, and give them a big water change.

Much as I have always loved the Tetra food range and still consider it the best, ALL so called holiday/vacation foods... all foods left in the tank while you're not there, are a huge no-no. Fish invariably don't like them and they just rot and pollute the tank. Your fish will be perfectly fine for a week or two, in fact they'll probably look better when you get back.

:)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:45:21 AM »
I have previously left my gang without food when going away, and they've been fine.
I was very nervous to start with, so just started with weekends away, then increased the time to long weekends, and as everyone was fine I felt more and more comfortable, so continued to increase the time away.
Earlier this year I went on a longer holiday, and managed to get a friend to call over every 3rd day to feed them, but as a general rule I leave them as they are.
 :)

Offline ID2

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
Ah ok then, thatís the plan. Thanks for the advice  :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
From what little I've heard about those food sticks, I'd be inclined to think of some other plan...  They have a pretty poor reputation... 
Just to clarify, @ID2, that it's not that particular brand that's a problem - in fact, I think they're one of the better ones, but generally they do have a reputation for fouling the water as Hampalong describes. (Having said that, I put one in for my goldfish many years ago, hidden behind some decor, but he found it, went into a frenzied attack of it, and consumed it in its entirety within 45mins before I'd even left for the airport.)

I use a Fishmate auto-feeder which is an alternative option [do a search on here for auto-feeders and you'll see various discussions of them] but they're not entirely fool-proof eg food can get clogged up in these devices, especially with the small number of fish you'd be feeding, and they don't always work with modern-day tank lids/hoods and potentially result in a gap from which fish might leap out.

I find an auto-feeder more reliable than humans, though - I've had folk not keeping their promises of calling in or folk panicking because decor has fallen over / they think the fish isn't well, etc, and I can see how a series of idiosyncrasies with the tank could cause a range of problems (eg opening the tank can sometimes knock the filter off the tank wall, but a person unfamiliar with the tank might not realise the need to take care that no tank inhabitants dart behind the filter as it's being re-attached), etc.

In a nutshell, therefore, leave them as they are. If you have a habit of pulling out all plugs before you leave, though, remember to keep everything connected with the tank switched on - think of the filter as the life-support machine of the tank.

Offline ID2

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
Thank you fcmf  :)

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.
See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tetra Weekend Food"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 02:18:34 PM
by Kirstos
1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 01:34:25 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 12:48:15 PM
by Diz1
1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2015, 03:51:21 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 10:37:05 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2016, 05:22:34 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 04:21:42 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: