Author Topic: Repashy Foods  (Read 6454 times) 9 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Repashy Foods
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks,

I thought I'd start a thread specifically about Repashy fish foods. I've heard so many good things from people so I decided to take the plunge. My first pot of Soilent Green arrived yesterday. I will start to feed it to my fish as of today. Two members of the Bracknell Aquarist Society (of which I'm a member) were recently singing the praises of these foods. Both these guys are very experienced fishkeepers.

Practical Fishkeeping looked at two of the products from Repashy Foods and here's what they had to say:

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/gear/review-repashy-soilent-green-and-bottom-scratcher-fish-foods/

And here's the Repashy website:

https://www.repashy.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

I am aware that at least one of our current members (@Littlefish) uses/has used these foods for her large family of fish.

I will keep you all updated about Soilent Green and any other Repashy products that I purchase.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Repashy Foods
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »
I concur - great idea.

I'm aware of someone, likely now a member of that same aquarist society in fact, who has said she uses it to good effect for goldfish with swimbladder problems although it's not tailored specifically towards goldfish nutritional requirements.

I look forward to reading how your different species of fish get on with the various products.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'd suggest Morning Wood for a sailfin pleco. I've used it for my bristlenose plecs and it's good for those that graze wood.
I've used quite a few Repashy products and they seem to be very popular with my gang. The soilent green, bottom scratcher and morning wood have been used in several tank, including the river tank.
I've recently used the grub pie for my axolotls too. Although it is much easier to feed them worms, I feel the occasional strip of grub pie and some axolotl pellets probably helps to ensure a slightly more varied diet.  :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
I'd suggest Morning Wood for a sailfin pleco. I've used it for my bristlenose plecs and it's good for those that graze wood.
I've used quite a few Repashy products and they seem to be very popular with my gang. The soilent green, bottom scratcher and morning wood have been used in several tank, including the river tank.
I've recently used the grub pie for my axolotls too. Although it is much easier to feed them worms, I feel the occasional strip of grub pie and some axolotl pellets probably helps to ensure a slightly more varied diet.  :)

Hi @Littlefish

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

Looks like I should try Morning Wood for my Bristlenose Plecs.

I put some Soilent Green in a couple of my tanks this evening. Various fish - Cardinal Tetras, SAE, Pygmy Corydoras and Bristlenose Plecs - none of them appear to be taking much interest in this food. But, in the second tank, Cherry Shrimps have shown interest. With which fish have you successfully used Soilent Green?

TIA.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
Sometimes it can take a few attempts before something new is recognised as food.
Previously I had grown algae on wood and rocks in few small tanks on a sunny windowsill, so a lot of my gang were used to recognising "green stuff coating some decor" as edible. I introduced the Repashy foods by spreading it on rocks or wood while runny, and then letting it cool. Pop that in the tank, stand back, watch them ignore it for up to an hour before one of the brave fish gives it a go, then let the chaos commence.

There is a knack to getting the food onto wood. I use driftwood which has to be soaked so it will sink, but the food doesn't stick to wet wood, so it needs to be wiped, then I use a hairdryer to partially dry one side of wood, before spreading on the food and letting it cool. If the food doesn't stick it just floats off in pieces when it goes into the tank. Sometimes it's easier to use slightly rough rocks.

I don't know if my gang are all just a bunch of piggies when it comes to food, or if it's a safety in numbers thing, or they're just used to getting food in various guises, but most of them will give anything a go. It is impossible to put algae wafers in any tank without the mid-water swimmers nibbling at them as they sink, and when they reach the floor, and that's if an amano shrimp doesn't pick the wafer up and run off with it (even the big wafers), before the plecs, gobies, loaches & corys even get to them. Last night I watched in fascination as my largest/oldest penguin tetra caught a mini wafer mid-water and swam around with it in her mouth all evening, occasionally spitting it out to chew a mouthful, then catching it again & continuing until the wafer was gone. I've never seen that before, and I promise I put flake in for them just before the wafers for the corys , BN & shrimp.

Certainly in the river tank I've used soilent green, bottom scratcher and morning wood, sometimes mixed depending on how much of each I have. Every single inhabitant in that tank will eat any/all of them off the wood. In the South American tanks the BNs are a bit shy, but as soon as the lights are dimmed they are onto the repashy, sometimes having to chase the tetras off to even be able to get to it.  ::)

Give your gang some time, and try feeding the food to them several times, if a few different ways. If they are used to specific food/wafers, try sticking some on to the repashy food to encourage them to try it.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
I introduced the Repashy foods by spreading it on rocks or wood while runny, and then letting it cool. Pop that in the tank, stand back, watch them ignore it for up to an hour before one of the brave fish gives it a go, then let the chaos commence.

:rotfl:

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Hi Folks,

Time for an update on Soilent Green.

After a couple of days, all the fish that I mentioned - particularly the BNs - now eat this food. OK, here's something interesting. There is a school of thought that wood-grazers obtain their nutrients from the bacterial colony that breaks down the wood. So, this applies to BNs and other plecos, as I understand it. It may even be what Otocinclus are rummaging for. In the biofilm that develops on aquarium surfaces, there is a whole world of what collectively is known as periphyton or Aufwuchs, as known in Germany. There's even a micro-animal known as a Tardigrade, which is an extraordinary ultra-tiny creature. Take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Now, where was I? Oh, yes, Repashy Soilent Green! It's a doddle to make up. I keep it in the fridge and it keeps well. No sign of mould when taken from the fridge. It can develop a few tiny strands of mould in the tank but it rarely gets a chance as it's consumed within a few hours. I cut it into 5mm cubes before adding to the tank. I only wish it could be bought in smaller quantities. I have the smallest jar available (84g). I'll probably end up giving a lot of it away to friends at my local fish club.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »
Glad to hear that your gang have accepted the soilent green.
If you think that there is too much food in the smallest pot, you know what the answer is - get more fish!  :rotfl:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
There is a school of thought that wood-grazers obtain their nutrients from the bacterial colony that breaks down the wood.

It’s not a school of thought but a scientific fact. The only living organisms capable of digesting cellulose and lignin are certain bacteria and a few fungi. Wood/plant/algae-eating fish require bacteria in their digestive system to do this for them. :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 07:20:42 PM »
There is a school of thought that wood-grazers obtain their nutrients from the bacterial colony that breaks down the wood.

It’s not a school of thought but a scientific fact. The only living organisms capable of digesting cellulose and lignin are certain bacteria and a few fungi. Wood/plant/algae-eating fish require bacteria in their digestive system to do this for them. :)

Hi @Hampalong

I was cautious when claiming that it was scientific fact because I am unable to point to the relevant scientific research papers. But, I obtained this information from an ichthyologist that I know. My background isn't in the Life Sciences but what an interesting field it is!

JPC

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Repashy Foods"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 07:52:24 AM
by Richard W
1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 06:20:07 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 04:34:38 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 06:40:06 PM
by MarquisMirage
2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 09:22:11 PM
by Ally2
6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 09:17:55 AM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: