Feeding My New Fish

Author Topic: Feeding my new fish  (Read 5300 times) 6 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Feeding my new fish
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well they've been in the tank a few days now, and small as it is they still don't seem to have found their way around.

In my innocence I thought fish would find the food. Silly me.
My little corries are having a whale of a time, still zooming around the tank and noshing on algae and diatoms.
They will also eat sinking wafer if they find it.
SOME of my WCMM will also eat flake if they see it but the others don't seem to realise it's there, and the poor Glowlight Danios don't seem to feed at all.  I've tried the wafer stuck to the side of the tank (it soon fell off) and I've tried it on the floor, always in the same place. Today I tried crushed flake food  towards the back of the tank  where the filter is because the WCMM were hogging the front and those that were eating the wafer were busy but the Danios still got pushed out of the way, once the WCs saw there was a choice.
One of the WCMM was flaring at all of them this afternoon and tried his best to keep them all away from the wafer, even though he didn't appear to want it himself.
I've tried the courgette, but again only one or two of the WCMM seem interested and the Danios not at all.
I am worried about fouling the tank but when I try to take out the remaining bits of flake they disintegrate so I had to leave bit of it behind.
Sue/NaughtyMoose I saw on one of the threads that you use a container. How does that work please.
Do I push the wet wafer to the base of the container and then lift the whole lot out with my hand?

I've seen the suggestion of putting blood worm in a syringe but because the fish are all over the place I don't see how I can single out the Danios to make sure they get fed.

Will the fish "hoover" up what is left. I've yet to see any of them, with the exception of the corries, feeding from the bottom.

I know it's early days yet but I just so relieved that they are still alive and I want to keep them that way.

Tomorrow we are off to the not so LFS to get some more food frozen food ie Brine Shrimp, Frozen Daphnia?
Sinking mini pellets and a couple of snails.  The snails I hope will in their turn hoover up left over food as well as my dying plants.  That's the plan anyway.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Feeding my new fish
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
It must be Naughty Moose that uses a dish, it's not me.

I must admit that I've only once had problems with fish eating and that was bolivian rams which took a while to realise that what was going in the tank was food. After a while, these supposedly bottom feeders were eating from the surface. I even have a loach that feeds from the surface from time to time.

Something I have read to get fish feeding is to soak their food in garlic juice though I haven't tried it myself. Garlic juice is from cloves that you crush yourself or it is supposed to be available at supermarkets (again, no personal experience)

Frozen live food comes in a variety. I've seen bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp, black mosquito larvae, cyclops and mysis. None of my fish cared very much for black mosquito larvae and cyclops is very small - I use that in the tank with pygmy cories and Sundadanios both of which are very small - the shrimps in the same tank also eat it. If your fish are still young, they may be too small for bloodworm, though you can shave slivers off the cube which does chop the worms up. Mysis is like largish brine shrimps, I've only just tried that when I bought a mixed pack of 4 types.
Whichever you get you'll need to cut the cube up as they contain a huge amount of food for the size of the cube. Try a quarter the fist time, you can judge from that how much next time. Thaw it in some water before feeding it.
Someone has mentioned cubes of dried tubifex worms that you stick to the glass - my fish never cared for that either but you never know from tank to tank.

I have found that with food like flake, crushing it up small allows everyone to get some; the greedier fish can soon mop up whole flakes but it takes them a while to get round a lot of small bits.

Having said all that, the big tank had bloodworm this evening. The emperor tetras sat in a huddle where they knew the food was going in and demolished it all in a split second. Talk about a feeding frenzy, you'd thing they hadn't been fed for weeks. Luckily I also put in some cyclops left from the other tank for the small fish.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »
Thanks Sue
Perhaps I misunderstood about the feeding dish, not sleeping very well as have horrendous night cramps. Such is old age!!

I've got my (not so) little list so will have a look at what's available.  I'm just getting a bit concerned about leaving uneaten food in the tank when it's virtually impossible to get back out. 
I managed to siphon some of the broken up wafer but not all.
Perhaps a snail or two will help out.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:42:33 PM »
I've found that it takes the little so-and-so's a while to work out that all these floaty bits zooming round the tank or wafers sinking to the bottom are edible. Once they work out what's what they will eat you out of house and home given the chance.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
Hope so Steve.
Rang my not so LFS just to check they had snails and it's just as well I did as they are no longer in business! OOPS! However, in searching the web for their phone number I came across another shop which we have driven past for many many years and which we both assumed was Koi Carp only and the web said they did Tropical fish.  It was nowhere near as far away so that pleased the other half.

When we got there it didn't look too salubrious but we went in anyway.  It's a bit shabby and we did see a couple of albino corys munching on a dead body but no noticeable planaria or other dead fish and water looked clean. 
He doesn't do snails unfortunately as he says he has trouble keeping them alive.

I did manage to get 250ml of Seachem Prime at £3 cheaper than Amazon plus two lots of frozen fish food.
Daphnia and Brine shrimp.
I did originally take a different one which he thought was also shrimp but he couldn't remember which was the smaller one.
Got to the car and then remembered the sinking pellets so went back. 
He was actually looking up what I bought compared to brine on the internet and told me he'd sold me the wrong one as brine shrimp were smaller so he let me swap it.

Very nice man and he kept my other half talking about wild birds for a long time so it was nice to browse.

He also had pretty cheap Mopani wood and some lovely rocks.

Best of all though. I was digging through the suction cups as I needed some for the heater that came with the secondhand tank (another thing that was missing! ) and I came across the suction fitment for the obsolete Fluvel that came with the tank and which was also missing, so very pleased.

He sells the sponges for the Fluvel but advised me not to buy them but to get sheets from him and cut them to size as he said that's what he does.

He had some WCMM and I asked if he knew the sex because I think I might only have one female in this batch and he said he wouldn't have a clue so at least he was honest about it.

Got home and chopped off a piece of the daphnia, soaked it in tank water and dropped it in. Yay, my Glowlight Danios have been fed. They went mad for it as did the WCMM.

I can now relax.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »
Most fish go mad for live/frozen live food  :) Don't feed too often though as it isn't as nutritious as flakes/pellets. I know that's what they eat in the wild but they get more variety than the odd couple of types we feed them in a tank.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
Oh I won't Sue.
I was just worried about the Danios not having been fed and now I can relax.
Don't know why I'm fretting about it now. It's while I'm away I should be worrying.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Feeding my new fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 12:43:47 PM
by Helen
2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 04:17:30 PM
by suep
22 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 05:15:47 PM
by DutchyHolland
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 11:31:29 AM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2019, 12:39:23 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: