Feeding Frank The Betta And Indian Glassfish.

Author Topic: Feeding Frank the Betta and Indian Glassfish.  (Read 5057 times) 6 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Feeding Frank the Betta and Indian Glassfish.
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm having some issues feeding Frank so I thought I'd ask you lovely folks as I know some of you have bettas yourself and I want to ask about my glassfish

I know the way to calculate food for a fish is generally about the size of the fishes eye and I was wondering if I could get some guidance to refine this a bit. I read 4-5 bloodworms or 3-4 brine shrimps or the equivalent, twice a day is sufficient for an adult betta male. The thing is I'm not sure this is enough for Frank and I don't want to overfeed him. As soon as I walk into the kitchen he zooms to the front of the tank and then his perch on top of the thermometer and he kind of carries on doing this all the time he can see me. Is this begging him being hungry or just him being greedy?

Now the problem of the glassfish...these guys have absolutely massive eyes so should we feed them the equivalent size in food or is there another way to work it out? I used to feed them small amounts at a time until they lost interest but my son moved their tank into his room and he's taking over feeding them and he thinks I was making too much fuss of them, so he thaws a 1/4 cube of bloodworms and brine shrimps and chucks it in and lets them get on with it. Is this how it should be done?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Feeding Frank the Betta and Indian Glassfish.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »
Bettas are pigs when it comes to food. They will beg for more every time they see you. They are not hungry, they just like to eat. Ignore him. My betta gets 6 Hikari betta pellets once a day and since I got him on 27 April 2013 and he is still alive, he isn't starving to death  :)

The 'one eye per fish' is mainly a guideline to stop newcomers to the hobby overfeeding. Now that you have had fish a while, you'll have a better feel for how much they can eat. Add some food and see how long it takes the fish to eat it all. If it is less than two minutes, give them a bit more. Overfeeding is the main problem so work up from less than they can eat in 2 mins. Overfeeding causes fat fish, uneaten food fouling the water and snail population explosions.

As for the fish in your son's room, I would use a sharp knife to shave a mm thickness off the side of a cube, thaw that and feed it to the fish. If they clear it up in less than 2 mins, shave another bit off. After a couple of times, you (he) will get to know how much to cut off. Warn him if he feeds too much, he'll get lots of snails  ;)
Is he only feeding bloodworm and brine shrimp? He needs to feed a bigger variety of food. Since we can't give them all the different types of live food they would have access to in the wild, he needs to add flake or pellets to their diet.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
We do put in flaked food first but that's mainly for the tetras and the glassfish either ignore it or spit it out with a great deal of disgust. After Dan brought them home I researched them on the internet and most sites have them listed as being carnivores which is why I feed them the diet they have now.  I buy 4 different types of frozen live food that include bloodworms (they love them) brine shrimps (which they quite like) mysis (which they love) and daphnia (which they don't unless its live) I also buy live daphnia once a fortnight as a treat for them added over several days. They do sometimes nibble at the algae pellet I put in for the Ottos but not often. Is that a sufficiently varied diet? I have been mulling over getting some vitamin drops

And thankee for the Betta advice, I shall ignore our little beggar and aim for him to have a gently rounded belly :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:15:20 PM »
Hmmm, I see the problem. It is usually possible to get fish to eat prepared food, but not always. And it involves not giving them the food they prefer until they give in.
You could try a prepared food with a high meat content. Some of the pellets designed for cichlids might work, though a lot of them are sinking pellets.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
Thanks Sue, I'll have a browse on amazon and see what they have.  I've got Aquarian Advanced nutrition flaked food and it does contain fish but it doesn't show the percentage. Could I starve them for a few days maybe and see if they'll take dried flaked food then? I usually fast them for 1 day a week but I could try a few days, it would make life a lot easier if they did eat flaked.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:46:17 PM »
You can starve them for several days with no problem. It is quite acceptable to go on holiday for a week and not feed them.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »
 :yikes: and there was me feeling a bit mean not feeding them 1 day a week  :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Feeding Frank the Betta and Indian Glassfish."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 07:28:25 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
by SteveS
38 Replies
Last post July 15, 2018, 10:30:11 PM
by daveyng
3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 08:03:22 PM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 07:44:36 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 12:37:31 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: