Author Topic: Feeding Dwarf Puffers  (Read 6415 times) 4 replies

Offline SinghRathorTari

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
Feeding Dwarf Puffers
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I recently bought 2 Dwarf Puffers for a small tank in my Office, but I'm finding their feeding difficult.

Of the 2, one is more boisterous while the other is very reserved; often hiding under the filter.

I have tried various frozen foods such as:

Daphnia
These were quite small so neither puffer seemed that keen on them.

Blood worm
The more boisterous puffer seemed to take to these, while the quieter puffer seemed chew bits up and then spit them out, whether any was actually being eaten I'm not sure.

Brine Shrimp
The boisterous puffer would take these (after giving the bit it wanted a good hard stare), while the reserved fish didn't seem interested.

I have been supplementing their feeding with Bladder Snails, which they are both keen on, but, the boisterous puffer always outcompetes the quieter puffer, by crunching most of the snails I add before the other fish even starts looking for them.

Are there any tips on how to get Dwarf Puffers to feed?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Feeding Dwarf Puffers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
I have a group of dwarf puffers - yet another type of adorably odd little fish.  :)
They are currently in a smaller tank as last weekend I stripped down and completely re-worked/replanted their big tank.
I use a feeding pod for mine, and mainly feed them on bloodworms and snails.
I use live food as they seem to have a preference or food that moves, and the feeding pod has small holes that the worms crawl out of. The pod has a sucker and I've attached it more than half way up the front glass.
I have 12 puffers and feeding time(s) are always quite active, with most of them crowding around the pod waiting for worms to crawl out.
I put the worms in the pod using long forceps/tweezers, so sometimes I might dispense some worms mid-water in another part of the tank for the less pushy fish.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »
This is what I use to feed my dwarf puffers
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fish+feeding+cone&sprefix=fish+feeding%2Caps%2C143&crid=2436AO7152CKD
Several will group around the bottom, so if you use something like this perhaps your less dominant one will just use the other side of the pod and be able to feed at the same time as the dominant fish.
Some of my brighter fish have taken to swimming over the top and into the cone to eat.  ::)

Offline SinghRathorTari

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »
Thanks for all the advice;

As an update: I ultimately got the puffers feeding on frozen Blood Worm as previously mentioned, I did so by scattering the defrosted worms around the tank, this did lead to other issues with them chasing each other around the tank (the tank is cylindrical in shape), but they were both eating.

Although since then I have moved them to my community tank on my work desk, and they have settled into there fine, leaving me more room to separate the food.

I was a bit worried the other fish may out compete them for food, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
Great to hear & see that they are doing well.
I had a very funny image in my head of them chasing each other around a cylindrical tank.  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Feeding Dwarf Puffers"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 12:43:47 PM
by Helen
2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 04:17:30 PM
by suep
5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
by SteveS
1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 12:07:22 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
15 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 05:16:04 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 12:28:15 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: