Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Planning tanks (for fun!)
« on: August 21, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Th out it might be nice to start a thread where we can plan a few tanks stocking out for certain circumstances, just as a fun exercise rather than for real! (Littlefish this isn't an excuse for more tanks!)

I set myself the challenge of a coldwater setup to fit on top of an existing cabinet in my home (67cm by 29.5cm). I envisaged this an an open top braceless aquascape style tank (just 5 bits of glass) so that's a consideration too, but the height was trickier to decide on. In the end I went with 0.6 of the tank length as this is the ratio of dimensions the ADA 60p tank uses (famous high end aquascaping tank) and is close to the golden ratio.  This puts the tank height at a nice rounded 40cm.  Giving 75litres of useable tank.

I wanted to include hillstream loach a small schoaling fish with some colour and a feature fish too if possible.  Given the hillstreams are from Asia I also decided to stick to fish from this area. 

I'm not too clear on good stocking numbers for them after some internet research but wanted to keep numbers low to avoid having to do copious amounts of additional algae growing and feeding for them l. I went with 2 in the end... open to any views on this?

Spent a lot of time looking at schoaling fish... white closes never excited me, zebra danios I love but need a longer tank, there's some great fish but none quite with the colour I wanted... Platies too large... finally settled on glowlight tetra. They don't actually feature in our coldwater category but are good down to 18 degrees so fine for a temperate/unheated tank in a heated home.  They have a nice orange glow and the stripes on the side too. Nice schooling behaviour too bulky the looks of it. Perfect. Want a good number 8 to 10.

Then feature fish... barbs seemed the obvious choice and are from the right area. But they need to be in little groups. Not really enough tank space visually for this I didn't feel... too many midwater fish with the glowlights. I then looking into surface dwellers. Not good with the open top though... then found paradise fish. They are quite happy singly and a decent size for a feature fish. Lots of colour and not too active/interact with the hardscape and plants well.

Hence I've landed on the below... thoughts?

I'd got a 480litre per hour pump which would work with the setup if I attached a spare filter sponge on the intake. I could hide this behind planting. Nice and quiet and no need for a heater of course to all equipment hidden (a must for me). And low energy requirements which is good.

My next job is to do more research into coldwater tolerant hardy plants...

Anyone else playing with the community creator like this... feel free to set me a challenge or yourself one and document it here  :cheers:

Offline dwindstr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Planning tanks (for fun!)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Spent a lot of time looking at schoaling fish... white closes never excited me,

"White closes?" what are those?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »

Haha - I think that's @Matt's spellchecker gone into overdrive.  I wonder if he means "white clouds" (white cloud mountain minnows)..?  Personally, I like them a lot - especially the golden ones.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:56:07 PM »
Yes its rare I type anything on the laptop at home nowadays, its rare that I use it for anything... auto correct is a bit problem for me, especially when it comes to names of things!!!

Offline dwindstr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »

Haha - I think that's @Matt's spellchecker gone into overdrive.  I wonder if he means "white clouds" (white cloud mountain minnows)..?  Personally, I like them a lot - especially the golden ones.
Indeed...that's what I decided, since he was referring to cold water fish.  I also love the WCCM's.  I have the long-finned variety, they have beautiful bright red caudal fins, and golden neon areas around the mouths.  When the fry were born all you could see were bright little pinpoint neon eyes swimming around like fireflies in the tank.  It was very cool.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
Got a chance to see white clouds again when I popped into my LFS for some bloodworm... must admit I actually quite liked them!...

They also had black widow tetra down as coldwater... seriously fish recommends them no cooler than 20 degrees...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »
The golden WCMMs are lovely too.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
I've got some WCMM in my temperate river tank, and the colours are lovely when they mature.

@Matt  you know me too well. I've had to avoid playing with the community creator, and getting RO from MA is a real struggle. I'm having to be quite firm with not buying any new fish at the moment.

As for plants, I do find that various anubias and bucephalandra have done very well in my river tank. Even the tallest anubias gracilis (approx. 30cm) is doing well in the strong water flow, and the panda garras love relaxing on the leaves.

Darn it, now I'm thinking about plants instead of fish.  ::)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »
I've just learnt that they don't predate their young which it quite attractive as I've never yet successfully raised fry... I also learnt that I may have the temperatures wrong for hillstream loaches... I wanted the fish to be able to survive comfortably at 16 degrees as I could realistically see the tank temperature dropping no further for my previous experience with a cold water shrimp tank which got to 15 degrees but wasn't lit and was a much smaller volume of water. The loaches are always said to need significantly cooler water than the average community tank (or at least that's what I had in my mind...). Seriously fish recommends lowest of 20 degrees though which surprises me. I thought they would cope with lower?

Back to the drawing board...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 10:49:08 PM »
Ah, my temperate river tank has no heaters, but is relatively warm because of the lights (to encourage algae), so it's generally around 21-22C.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
Back to the hillstream loaches. I have sewellia lineolata, and they are a lovely yellow with dark markings. Yes, they enjoy algae which I often grow on wood in a spare tank. I also feed mine on algae wafers, the Bug Bites pleco formula is popular, and you can't go far wrong with the Repashy foods. Cucumber and the usual veggies are always welcomed by all.  :)

I saw some of the Hong Kong plecs (Beafortia sp.) a while back. They are a similar shape, with slightly different markings, and tend to grow bigger than the S. lineolata.

I'd tend to go for more than two. They are relatively easy to sex, so I'd go for 2 males & 4 females. You wouldn't want to miss out on seeing the males bicker with each other, and show off to the ladies.  ;)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
The tank size has had to drop to 50 litres. I've had to go this small to get within the price range I was working to... unfortunately the custom size is more than I expected. This does mean though that I can repurpose an existing filter I have and achieve 10 times turnover for the loaches.  This also means if I use my 10w nano heater overnight in winter I think I can keep the temperature from dropping too far for the loaches too so they are back on the cards. They are such great little fish I don't want to miss out on them!

@Littlefish presumably you would agree that a pair would be best in this tank size?

It would need to be just them and the glowlights. This does remove the risk of the paradise fish jumping and eating any shrimp. So I can rescue my red cherry shrimp from my 220litre which are basically constantly in hiding due to the dwarf cichlids. I wanted the paradise fish as a geature fish, but have since realised the the hillstreams will perform this function admirably anyways. All good.

It also puts the tank at 30 high by 67 long 26.5 wide and with the high turnover it is starting to feel like a hillstream setup might be a good way to go. It's certainly different from anything I've done before aquascaping-wise. Which is a good thing... a challenge as these layouts don't normally contain lots of plants, and I've got a bit stuck in a rut recently with my scapes all turning out looking the same... updates on the dwarf puffer tank to come later!!  Im going to do some mock ups for a hillstream setup later which i will post here for views and opinions. I'm also going to have a go at designing a manifold filter using existing parts I have and in a way that will mean it is hidden... see https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/the-secret-to-setting-up-a-better-river-aquarium/ if your not familiar with these...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 03:47:54 PM »
That was the article I followed when I built my first river manifold.  :)

You should be able to pick out a male and female, which would work well in the tank. They are a feature fish, though I admit that I'm biased (my entire river tank was set up around them).

Offline dwindstr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 04:00:15 PM »
Wow, that manifold river project is impressive.  Since I've retired I don't have all those tools to do a DIY like that, but I have a neighbor that does.  I would like to do a more modest version of that.  A guy in my LFS told me how he ran a single tube from his powerhead to an outlet on the other side, which created a circulating current across the tank.  Not as sophisticated as your version, but going in that direction.

I was thinking I'd like to do this with my 20 gallon (75L) tank.  It's a long version, so it has less height and more length, for schooling fish.  I have 7 WCCM's and 8 Purple Harlequin rasboras in there.  They seem to love water currents.  Some of this swim under the HOB filter to get that flow.  When I do partial water change, I don't have to worry about being gentle putting the fresh water in.  I just pour it into the tank from the bucket, and the minnows and rasboras come running from all directions to get under the waterfall and have a shower.  It's very funny to watch.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Planning tanks (for fun!)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 10:37:34 PM
by Diz1
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
by brian c
9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 08:44:04 PM
by Bazza2000
33 Replies
Last post December 08, 2020, 09:50:49 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: