See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Restocking A Slightly Acidic, Softer Water Planted Tank

Author Topic: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Helen

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It's difficult to tell, but I think the trend continues. It doesn't help that I had a few days after the slide ran out before I put the new one in.

Edit: I should have said that the trace below shows the last week's readings.

Offline Helen

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
The pH seems to almost directly follows the lighting pattern. The first peak is about lunchtime, just before the lights go out for the siesta. And the tank is in the lounge, so the evening peak is higher because we usually have the lounge lights on (additional background lighting)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
That is what I would expect in a planted tank. The pH drops to its lowest just before light reaches the tank. It increases when the tank lights come on for their first period, then drops as they enter the off period, but not as low as during the night.. When the lights come on for the second time, the pH rises again. Once the tank and room lights go out, the pH drops to its lowest point just before it gets light again next day.
When the tank lights are on, the plants take up CO2 so the pH rises; when all the lights are off, plants do not take up CO2 so the CO2 level in the tank increases and the pH falls.

The only mysterious thing is the very slight increase day on day.

Offline Helen

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that my tank is no more than 20% stocked with fish at the moment. And that the consumption of CO2 during lit hours exceeds it's generation during lights off.

If that is the case, the trend should change as I increase my stock.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
Thanks @Matt for linking to the thread where I was having problems with my pH. It saves me finding it.  :)

@Helen it will be interesting to see if the readings stabilise as you stock your tank further.

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today (see below)

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a one off Donation or a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Starting from less than 2p per day; your subscription will help fund new articles, pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?
Tags: restocking tank 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: