Restocking A Slightly Acidic, Softer Water Planted Tank

Author Topic: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank  (Read 26550 times) 131 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
There is the ability to 'trim' the Seneye readings, but I don't know about calibrating. I don't know how I would start doing that. But, the slides only last about 30 days and then need replacing. It is the slides that contain the pH and ammonia tests. From what I can see (without destructive investigation!) the ammonia and pH are like test strips with an optical reader.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
I'm going to copy the above comment in my post about my Seneye. Then that post can be a comprehensive review of using a Seneye.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
I know that electric pH probes do need calibrating, but I didn't know if Seneyes did. I've just looked on tier website and they say
With a seneye device you should not need to use calibration as the replacement seneye+ slide does this.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Hmmm, whilst this does count technically as a 'single point calibration'...

The slide may be manufactured to a high degree of precision so that it displays accurately the right colour for the right pH which the probe in the Seneye is looking for. But the probe itself may drift with time. Like our eyes get worse with age, the probe will start to read differently over time.

That said this will normally only happen over a very long period of time (not a week!).

The proper way to calibrate a probe is to use solutions of a known e.g. pH and see what the probe reads and adjust it at two points so take a reading with a solution at pH4 and at pH9 for example and ensure the probe reads 4 exactly and 9 exactly so all values inbetween should also read accurately.

Anyway... for the level of accuracy were after in the hobby Seneyes approach is fine... So you can ignore my rant!!

But I'll carry on anyway...  :isay:

We are interested in changes in pH more than the exact pH value.  For example  Seneye will tell you that your pH is changing rapidly as an indicator of something going wrong in the tank. It will also tell you if your fish are compatible by telling you the "reasonably precise" pH level.  If a fish is compatible with a pH range from 6.5 to 8.  And the Seneye says it's 7.3 you know you are good to go. If it says 7.9 you are a risk.  The fish will not suddenly die at 8.1 but it's life may be shortened, however this will aslo be the case at 7.9 just not by as much. As an opposing example, water companies test pH with dual calibrated instruments because they have to deliver water between two defined values. So in the above example if the pH was recorded at 8.1 they could be fined by their regulators... as such they want to be sure it's 8.1 exactly and not 7.99999 meaning they are within their limits.

I feel like I've got my rant out now  :isay:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
 :rotfl:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
Sorry @Matt for laughing at your rant.  :-[

So my last water change was on the 5th November. The peak pH seems to be between 7pm and 10pm and on the 6th was 7.56. This evening the pH was 7.80. So an increase in 0.24 over 17 days. (I'm not entirely sure if I would have picked this up with a liquid test)

I know that I am still "deep cleaning" my tank, so could it be a hangover of neglect?

The other thing that changed at last water change was the addition of more plants. And some algae growth.

Just thinking about it, I think the Seneye does have the ability for multi point calibration. On the page where I can 'trim' the values, it appears to have a sliding scale. Actually, looking at it again, it isn't multi point. The sliding scale is just the GUIs way of displaying the 'trim'.

Out of interest, the 3 things that can be trimmed are temp, pH and NH3.

Could it be the balance of CO2? In that the plants and fish don't produce as much CO2 as the plants use up in the light? Therefore the plants gradually use up the CO2 that was in the tap water. Because I have so many plants, I do have the filter outlet set for minimum surface agitation. Or would all the CO2 off gas in a 24hr period?

I feel some tap water tests coming on...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 07:04:24 AM »
@Helen just to let you know that I have previously tested my tap water over a period of days and there was a difference.
When performing my water tests with the API test kit I would run a tap water "control" to help with colour comparisons. I was concerned with the pH results as the tap water was showing a result of around 7.0, whilst my tanks were showing a pH of 8.0 - 8.4. Without fully understanding the situation I thought it was something that I was doing with the tanks, started to panic, and followed that with multiple water changes on all tanks.
After taking a glass of tap water and testing it over a 3 day period, and discussing results on this forum, I think we came to the conclusion that, as I'm in a hard water area (17GH) the water company probably added CO2 to bring the pH to neutral at the tap. Bearing in mind that a glass doesn't have a large surface area, or water movement, it is likely that water in the tank would lose CO2 at a faster rate.
I think it's useful to be aware of what happens with your own tap water, but I hope that my experiences with mine helps a little.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »
Thanks @Littlefish . Could you link that conversation for me, please?

My tank pH isn't changing much. 0.24 is one colour band on most liquid test kits.

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »
What happens to the pH reading when you start a new slide? Comparing readings from the same time of day, do the new slide readings continue on from the old one, or do they start from a different value?

I'm wondering if the readings 'drift' upwards during the lifetime of a slide.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
It's difficult to tell, but I think the trend continues. It doesn't help that I had a few days after the slide ran out before I put the new one in.

Edit: I should have said that the trace below shows the last week's readings.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
The pH seems to almost directly follows the lighting pattern. The first peak is about lunchtime, just before the lights go out for the siesta. And the tank is in the lounge, so the evening peak is higher because we usually have the lounge lights on (additional background lighting)

Offline Sue

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
That is what I would expect in a planted tank. The pH drops to its lowest just before light reaches the tank. It increases when the tank lights come on for their first period, then drops as they enter the off period, but not as low as during the night.. When the lights come on for the second time, the pH rises again. Once the tank and room lights go out, the pH drops to its lowest point just before it gets light again next day.
When the tank lights are on, the plants take up CO2 so the pH rises; when all the lights are off, plants do not take up CO2 so the CO2 level in the tank increases and the pH falls.

The only mysterious thing is the very slight increase day on day.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that my tank is no more than 20% stocked with fish at the moment. And that the consumption of CO2 during lit hours exceeds it's generation during lights off.

If that is the case, the trend should change as I increase my stock.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
Thanks @Matt for linking to the thread where I was having problems with my pH. It saves me finding it.  :)

@Helen it will be interesting to see if the readings stabilise as you stock your tank further.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:55 PM »
So I'd like to start buying new fish this weekend.  :fishy1:

But I'm a bit worried about the pH of my tank. It is supposed to be neutral to slightly acidic (and all the fish I have chosen are suitable for this), but it is currently 8.1 - 8.2.

I plan to do all the water tests that I have tomorrow (Nitrate, P, K, GH, KH, 6 in 1 test strip that includes pH, nitrate and both hardness).

I suspect that the high pH is due to lack of CO2 (and Kh buffering), because the pH variation with lighting has more or less disappeared. But how do I check this? I have a CO2 kit, but I've not used it for at least a couple years, so I'm not sure how to check it works (properly) and am slightly worried about causing a pH crash if my Kh turns out to be low (which I suspect, but can confirm tomorrow).

I will post test results, and then ask for suggestions, I guess.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
So some test results:

Tank water
pH 7.0 - 7.5
Nitrate 10 (a little higher, but no where near as high as 25, which is the next colour on the chart)
GH 107ppm
KH 72ppm
Phosphate 1mg/l
Potassium 20mg

Rested de-chlorinated water
GH 54ppm
KH 36-54ppm

The fact that the 3 macro nutrients are as high as they are, suggests to me that my plants aren't growing. So something else is the limiting factor. This supports my theory of low CO2.

What is interesting to me is that the hardness in the tank is higher than that of my tap water. I do have a lot of small snail shells in the tank, could these be the source, or do I need to test my rocks?

Offline Sue

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
It could be the snail shells but I would still test the rocks. It is worth knowing everything there is to know about tank decor  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
I agree with Sue.
Fluctuations in mineral content could have a negative impact on your fish if you end up performing larger/less frequent water changes.
Best to investigate & resolve now before you put anything else in the tank.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
Do I test the rocks by dripping kitchen vinegar on them? Or some other way?

Tags: restocking tank 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
by Helen
116 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
112 Replies
Last post December 09, 2018, 08:40:19 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt
24 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:45:45 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: