Restocking A Slightly Acidic, Softer Water Planted Tank

Author Topic: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank  (Read 26991 times) 131 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 11:37:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
10% of tank volume for substrate etc is a bit low for my tank. As I said, I previously measured that I had 170l water in a 240l tank - giving me 70l of substrate etc, compared to the 24l the 10% rule gives. I would suggest that I'm taking out about 2/3 of the substrate.

Hmm, just done the calc and that would be relatively close to the 10% rule. I have a huge block of bogwood that is staying in the tank. But I suspect it is smaller than when I last measured the water volume. (I noticed that it has some interesting knots in the wood that haven't been there before)

I was aiming for a shoal of about 25 harlequin rasboras, but made the mistake of believing the lad in the shop who said that the espeii (labelled copper rasboras)  were just a colour variant.  I want at least one large shoal, because previously my harlies behaved differently when I increased  the numbers and I love watching all the different behaviours.

PS I won't be doing weekly water changes. It is realistic to say they'll be monthly.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 11:46:30 PM »
I wonder if khuli loaches truly are worth their full stocking value... They are very long and thin in comparison to a 'normal' 8cm fish.  What do people think?

I must say though that I would advise reducing the number of loach and rasboras if you are only certain of being able to commit to monthly water changes Helen.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 11:50:19 PM »
Even if it's a heavily planted tank? I previously had to add nitrates at water change to keep my plants happy for macro nutrients. And that can be done without the water change.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »
Hi Helen I am not sure how good they are but if you are lacking calcium. I happen to get these a few days ago for my assassin snails.

It's possible you have heard of them but if not they are called aqualibra mineral blocks. My snails are all over them and my female gourami likes it too.

Maybe worth researching.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »
PS I won't be doing weekly water changes. It is realistic to say they'll be monthly.
Have you done this before, Helen, and succeeded in having your fish reach/live beyond their respective life expectancies? Just intrigued as to how this went for my own learning's sake. I'd be concerned about soft water not having its KH replenished - cf Sue's experience of a PH crash when she had a period of reducing the frequency of her water changes to less than once weekly - and also about what else is going on in the tank that we can't actually measure for with our home-based test kits. For example, I have very soft water, usually low nitrates (<20 although they have crept up a little lately) and plants (albeit not very skilled at keeping them) but wouldn't risk anything less than a weekly water change as I'm aware that there is much more than ammonia/nitrite/nitrates which may impact on fishes' welfare.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
Thanks @Rustle . I'm not sure that's the right format to add calcium to my tank. One of the ways I add nitrates is with calcium nitrate granules. But I'm trying to set my tank up in a way that minimises the need for supplements. Fast growing stem plants have a high calcium requirement, so I've replaced all my fast growing plants with slower growing ones.

I'm also hoping that the need for supplements is a temporary one until my fish stock level is right. I'm not planning to have any fast swimming or shelled inhabitants that would particularly benefit from calcium blocks.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
Hi @fcmf . I've had my fish tank (and been a member of this forum and it's predecessor) for about 8 years. My tank has been through quite a bit, including a short move from one wall in the lounge to the adjacent one. And some serious neglect due to two pregnancies.  My smallest 2 legged pet is 2 next week and I've been rejuvenating my tank since June this year. So my the latest period of neglect was over a year.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT encouraging the sort of zero maintenance regime that my tank had for perhaps 2 years. (Look up Diane Walstead if you are interested in micro environment tanks).

But I am aware that with a young family and a job, my tank won't get the kind of attention that is encouraged. So as I sort my tank out, I'm trying to set it up so that the lack of maintenance doesn't have a detrimental effect on the inhabitants.

I was utterly amazed that my tank did so well with the lack of maintenance. Most of my harlequin rasboras and all my Cardinal tetras seemed to die of old age (I'd had them for 3 years?) . My kuhli loaches are still going strong as is my BN Plec (though I suspect Bertie might have had his growth stunted by the lack of feeding. It was concern that he might starve to death that got me sorting my tank out).

I can only put down the lack of complete failure being down to my tank being so heavily planted, with lots of bogwood and the neglect including feeding. Even now the fish don't get fed every day, so I have to be careful not to overfeed them when I do feed them.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »
Thanks @Matt for your comment on stocking levels Vs water change frequency.

I've been watching my 13 rasboras and thinking about whether my tank will look full with the other fish I'm planning.

I am now thinking that I will restock in a different order and adapt numbers based on how the water conditions change with each addition of fish. I was going to complete my shoals of rasboras  and kuhlis first, then get the new types of fish. What I now plan to do is get half the kuhlis and leave the rest of the rasboras and kuhlis until I've seen how the water conditions balance with all the other fish. If my tank is still behaving as though it is under-stocked, I will look at increasing the kuhlis and /or rasboras to the numbers I mentioned above - keeping an eye on the water parameters.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
Your plan makes a lot of sense Helen.  All the best with it.   :cheers:

It would be nice to hqve regular updates on your readings as I know most of us will want to know how the tank performs with its monthly water changes. 

Weekly water changes are always recommended. I must say that I do sometimes let my tank to two weeks without a change and theres never been any noticeable impact on the plants or fish even when theres been a lot of evaporation in that period.  It's entirely feasible that for those of us fortunate enough to have low nitrate tap water the frequency can be reduced... I only have a 64 litre tank though which probably puts me a greater risk in comparison to yourself.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
What sort of readings would you like to see @Matt? The ammonia is read constantly (by my Seneye) but if I get things right, it will only show variation when I add new fish.

I'm hoping to eventually balance my fish numbers and plants so that the nitrate is constant and doesn't increase or decrease between water changes.

I think it is other chemicals in the water that you are referring to, that might build up between water changes. And I'm not particularly intending to measure those (I'm not sure where I would start with what to test for!)

I guess the pH could give some indication, but that is doing interesting things at the moment. Because my Seneye takes a measurement every hour (I think), it is possible to see the daily variation in pH. And because I have my lights on a 5-4-5 (ish) regime (with a 4hr siesta) there is even more variation in the pH. Constant monitoring gives some really interesting data (if you're a techy geek like me!) See my Seneye post for more details.

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
You should not see an increase in ammonia when adding new fish unless you add a huge number at one go. With a heavily planted tank, the plants should be able to use the extra ammonia output as soon as the fish excrete it.

Plants also help with other chemicals and biochemicals, though the amount they take up depends on the plants species. I live in Teesside where there is a lot of chemical industry, and ICI (before they were forced to sell up) pioneered the use of reed beds to clean the industrial waste water.
All animals excrete a lot of biochemicals, and there are others from the breakdown of the tank waste (fish poo, uneaten food, bits of dead plant). The plants won't be able to remove all of this, and it will build up between water changes.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
Will there anything I can measure to show the effect on my tank of elongating the period between water changes?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
It would be nice to hqve regular updates on your readings as I know most of us will want to know how the tank performs with its monthly water changes.
What a fantastic idea - it would be great to actually see this / a Walstad-type approach happening in practice - so much more meaningful and less "dry" than reading a book on it.

What sort of readings would you like to see @Matt? The ammonia is read constantly (by my Seneye) but if I get things right, it will only show variation when I add new fish.
I'm hoping to eventually balance my fish numbers and plants so that the nitrate is constant and doesn't increase or decrease between water changes.
For me, I'd love to just see the weekly ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings, even if just as some sort of reassurance that "wow, that approach really does work in practice (as far as ammonia/nitrate/nitrite is concerned anyway) and I'm getting to live through / witness it as it occurs". While I know I could never succeed in it myself given my dire plant-keeping skills, and given that it would be typical that an adverse event would occur in my own tank if I delayed a weekly water change by a few days, it would be great to see it working in practice by someone else (who has the confidence to do so based on their previous experience), in "real time" so to speak.  :D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »
@fcmf  just to be clear what I'm doing is NOT the Walstead approach. I do have her book and it is interesting, but I have never managed to actually read it all. It is as close to a chemistry text book as I have tried to read since leaving school and after reading some sections several times and still not understanding it, I accepted that my understanding would never be more than just high level and not detailed enough to implement properly.

I guess when my tank was neglected, it was as close to the Walstead method as I'm ever likely to get (but that wasn't really intentional). What I'm aiming for is very much middle of the ground. I am using the idea of setting up a balance between plants and livestock and I guess a light touch of the principals of the Walstead method to enable my tank maintenance regime to fit around my lifestyle. I am researching plants and fish that would be compatible with that and my water conditions and essentially hoping to create a micro environment. (Not dis-similar to what @Littlefish did with her river tank.)

Oh, and I should add that it's not going to start just yet. I've still got 2/3 of my tank with too much substrate! Because taking out the substrate and replanting requires approximately 2x100l water changes in fairly quick succession, I have to set aside quite a bit chunk of time. Which isn't easily done.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
I'd love to just see the weekly ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings

This is what I was thinking of too :)

@Sue would hardness be affected by less frequent water changes too?

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:32 PM »
Only in one circumstance.

If water evaporates between water changes, the temptation is to top up the water in the tank using tap water. Doing this will slowly increase the hardness because while water evaporates, the minerals that cause hardness don't. With every addition of top up tap water you are adding more minerals to the tank.
Regular topping up should be done with pure water - RO, distilled, rainwater (if it is safe) - though once every blue moon topping up can be done with tap water. Open topped tanks particularly need regular topping up.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
If topping up caused the hardness to increase, would that also affect the pH? My understanding is that those minerals that increase the hardness also act as pH buffers.

Would that explain why over the neglected period, the pH of my tank increased slightly? (Less than 1 unit) And is coming down gradually with the big water changes.

I've not got my new hardness test kit yet (its in the post), but comparing my tap water and my tank water again is one of the things I need to do. My water company declares my tap water as very soft, and I'm sure it used to be only soft.

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
pH, GH and KH are all tied up together. If your tank hadn't been planted I would have expected the pH to drop because nitrate would have built up and nitrate is acidic; and with soft water the KH would have been used up quickly allowing the pH to fall.
But you did have plants, and a lot of them, so they would have used the ammonia and no nitrate would have been made. The small amount of KH in your tap water could have been enough to buffer the other acidic things in the tank that the fish excreted.

During the neglected period, did you add anything to the tank, or have any limestone/shells/coral in the tank?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 10:17:55 PM »
I've got quite a lot of bogwood, but that's been in the tank from the beginning. I have added some large grey pebbles. I can't remember when I added them, but it could have been just before the period of neglect. I can't see that they have eroded at all.

I did top up a couple times, though it was between 5-10 litres in total (and probably the lower end of that range). And my tap water doesn't seem to really have many minerals in it.

When I was dosing the plants, I used calcium nitrate, but haven't used that for a long time.

The pH clearly has a daily cycle, but it does gradually increase. I'm only talking about 0.05 - 0.1 unit over maybe 3 weeks and can only see it because of the accuracy of the Seneye.

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
The calcium nitrate would have increase GH - that's mainly calcium with some magnesium and other metals in trace amounts. So if you were not doing many water changes, that calcium you had added would stay there and this would affect the pH.

But I can't explain the current very slow rise in pH over time. pH is likely to change over 24 hours after the water being run, but not in a tank that's been standing for weeks.
I can only suggest you monitor it to the end of the year and see what happens durin g thast time.

Silly question - does the Seneye have to be recalibrated at intervals?

Tags: restocking tank 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
by Helen
116 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
112 Replies
Last post December 09, 2018, 08:40:19 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt
24 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:45:45 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: