Restocking A Slightly Acidic, Softer Water Planted Tank

Author Topic: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank  (Read 26544 times) 131 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
How small do you want to go? If tiny (15 to 20 mm) would be OK, how about Microdevario kubotai These are green fish from Thailand and Myanmar, so they'd fit 'no more red' and Asia. And they like soft water. They are sold as green rasboras or green tetras.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
Thanks @Sue . They look interesting. I will have to do about more research to check that they're not too small to be picked on by my other fish.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »
I saw them a few months ago and again a couple of weeks ago in the LFS. Both lots are much more the size of neon tetras than as small as Sue's experience - and I've read that this size variation is commonplace on quite a few sites. Incidentally, last time round they were described as 'neon yellow rasboras' although actually luminous green https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank/neon-greenyellow-rasbora-. [The term 'green tetra' may be confusing as there are several which might fit that bill - green-coloured tetras https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank/rathbuns-bloodfin-green-fire-tetra and blue-green-coloured tetras http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-simulans.]

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »
Thanks @fcmf for the links. I buy all my fish from my local MA, so it is nice to know that they stock them and also what name they give them.

Presumably there's a big variation in size because there's more than one species that looks the same?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2018, 11:10:57 PM »
I think I need to go and see them in the fish shop.

They do look attractive option, but I am concerned about their size. I think they should be ok with my shoaling fish - the dwarf rainbows seem to be on the limit of size and my harlequin and espeii rasboras are actually recommended by seriously fish as suitable companions. But if i put celestial pearl danios or axelrodi rasboras (both a similar size) into the CC, I get red warnings about them and both kuhlis and kribensis.

I don't think the kuhlis would be a threat because their mouths are actually really small.  And I don't have kribs yet. Also they live in different parts of the tank, as I understand. But one of the attractions of kribensis is to have something a bit different and bigger than the rest of my fish (as a sort of specimen species). So I'm not sure about going smaller than the espeii rasbora.

Apart from tetras not being Asian fish, any thoughts on penguins, Black neons and x-rays ?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:25 AM »
I saw penguin tetra in my LFS last week and was really taken by them, they were tight schoqlers and really beautiful fish  :D. I think they get a bit bigger than xrays/neons though...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
Thank you.

Having found this article I will persevere with finding an Asian shoaler!

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/2016/11/18/social-acclimation-the-next-thing-in-fishkeeping

It's also made me wary of increasing my existing shoal sizes - of dwarf rainbows and harlequin rasbora! :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »
I have penguin tetras in one of my south american tanks. They are great fish, and they hang around in a slightly nose down position, which is a bit different. However, they are relatively large, both in size and personality. They can be a bit boisterous, which can have an impact on other fish in the tank.
I think that your suggestion of finding an asian shoaler makes a lot of sense.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »
This is looking like a good contender:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/brevibora-dorsiocellata/

I thought it was a recommendation from here, but can't find the comment! Finding it might be the challenge. EDIT: I've just found it on MA website: https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank/emerald-eye-rasbora

I will also have a look at the green rasboras.  ;)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
How about ricefish?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
Just reading about ricefish and found this:
"was the first vertebrate animal to mate in space during the mid-1990s"
 :yikes:

Not really a requirement for my tank!  :rotfl:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »
There's loads of ricefish @Matt . :yikes: It's going to take me a while to look through them to find one that's the right size and water conditions. Water hardness might be an issue.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
I have good international relations in my tank - x-ray tetras and harlequin rasboras.

The x-ray tetras' daytime is probably split 25% in each of the following modes, from early morning, late morning, afternoon, evening: the males having quite vigorous spats while the female rests elsewhere (and occasionally a harlequin joining in); a female being chased vigorously by all the males, esp through the plants; quiet times when they rest at particular "staging posts" in the tank, usually in the lower third; playing and swimming together with the harlequins, esp in the filter flow, inter-shoaling as though all one species.

The harlequins' daytime is less varied and tends to be split 50%, 25% and 25% in morning, afternoon and evening respectively as follows: quiet times whey they rest at particular "staging posts" in the tank, usually in the upper half; one male harlequin taking possession of the middle 50% of the tank, chasing anyone (irrespective of species) who enters that territory round the tank at speed and into a corner / two males (I think) displaying against each other; playing and swimming together with the x-ray tetras, esp in the filter flow, inter-shoaling as though all one species.

I suspect the afternoon behaviour of the aforementioned harlequin is just unusual, while the spat behaviour was learned from watching the x-ray tetras in which one tries to get involved occasionally.

At night, once the light goes off, there's a bit of re-positioning in which they shoal up with their respective species but a bit of manoeuvring takes place, generally resulting in the x-ray tetras at mid-level and the harlequins in the upper third ie each species slightly higher up than their daytime resting positions.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
Thanks fcmf. That is interesting about your x-ray tetras and Harlequins shoaling together. The largest shoal in my tank is a mix of harlequin and espeii rasboras.

Offline Sue

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
I didn't mention rice fish although I have Daisy's ricefish (Oryzias woworae) because their hardness range has 5 dH as their lower end.

I've kept M.kubotai in the past and I'd say mine were the same size as the ember tetras I had in the same tank. The biggest fish I had them with were Apistigramma cacatuoides, and the male is quite a big fish for a dwarf cichlid.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »
There are 3 types of ricefish on the MA website. One is too small, one needs harder water (Daisy's) than I have and the third needs cooler water.

I'm not sure that I'll succeed finding one that fits my water parameters and size requirements. They also seem to prefer clearer water conditions (all my other fish are black water, preferring higher tannins). Ricefish seem to prefer the clean water of flooded fields.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
I'd have to give a massive +1 for Pristella Tetras (X-Ray Tetras), which are probably the favourite fish of mine to date...  I have 12 of them and they seem super peaceful and playful, sometimes shoaling with the Cardinal tetras just for the fun of it...  Great fish indeed and I'd gladly have more of them...  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
I've just been into my lfs. They had everything on my potential shopping list - except kuhlis.

The neon green rasboras (m. Kubotu) are definitely a very striking fish. Outshone the emerald eye rasboras by a mile. The fish shop had them as a max size of 3cm, which correlates with all the comments about them being a bit bigger than the 15-20mm originally mentioned. Think they are the ones for me. But I'll probably have to re-think the kribensis.

My tank will look very colourful with red, blue and green fish!!

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »
Just had a look on SF...  They look really nice H...  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
The photo doesn't do them justice. They looked fabulous in the fish shop tank. Looking a bit washed out as they acclimatise in my tank.

Tags: restocking tank 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Restocking a slightly acidic, softer water planted tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
by Helen
116 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
112 Replies
Last post December 09, 2018, 08:40:19 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt
24 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:45:45 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: