New Tank, Looking For Comments And Advice On My Fish Selection.

Author Topic: New Tank, looking for comments and advice on my fish selection.  (Read 15739 times) 68 replies

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
First tank, just about to go through the cycle process and working on my fish selection whilst I'm waiting.

Tank details: WxDxH (cm) 81x40x56
Water: 110mg/l or 6 degrees hardness

I want to create a community tank and have used the CC tool to make a 1st attempt:

Cherry Barb
Guppy (male)
Platy
Swordtail (male)
Kribensis
Orange Chromide
Neon Tetra
Spotted Headstander
Zebra Loach

Noticed that the Orange Chromide is recommended for 90cm tanks, is this something I could get away with with my tank at 80cm as I love the bright yelllow colour or is there an alternative?

I'd love to also have Angel Fish and a shark, but don't think the tank is big enough, but would like recommendations on similar looking or alternative species that would be compatible.

Thanks,

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New Tank, looking for comments and advice on my fish selection.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »
I will take your list one by one

Cherry barb - fine for your water and tank size. At least 6 with equal numbers of males and females (males bright red, females dull washed out red)

Guppy - these are hard water fish which need a hardness of over 143 ppm

Platy - these are also hard water fish which need a hardness over 10 dH

Swordtail - need hardness over 179 ppm, and a tank at least 120 cm long

Kribensis - water and tank size fine. If you want a pair, they must choose their own mates. Just any male and any female may well not get along. They must be chosen carefully - if you definitely decide on these fish I can tell you how to choose the fish from the shop tank. If a pair bred, they will turn very territorial!

Orange chromide - need a larger tank, and hard water to brackish water

Neon tetra - fine for your tank and water. At least 6 with more being better.

Spotted headstander - I know little about these fish as I've never seen them in a shop. Apparently your water is fine for them, though they do need a slightly bigger tank.

Zebra loach - while your water is fine, they do need a tank with a bigger footprint at 120 x 30 cm

You are quite right in saying the tank is not big enough for angels or sharks, but I can't think of any similar fish that would fit I'm afraid.

The problem with the profiles on here is that they are rather old and our understanding of a fish's needs has increased in the last few years. I first joined the forum in 2006 (on a different host, all that forum has been lost when the site had to change hosts at very short notice) and the profiles were written before I joined. The best site for researching fish is http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ Unlike sites which are written by people who keep fish, this is written by ichthyiologists.

I suggest that your list falls into 2 parts - fish that are OK and fish that are not.
OK fish are cherry barb, kribs, neon tetras, spotted headstander if you can find any.
Fish that are not OK are those which need an bigger tank and /or harder water - guppy, platy, swordtail, orange chromide, zebra loach.

If you want yellow fish, you could change kribs for apistogrammas. All apistos have yellow females, but A. agassizii also has a yellow make, and these are commonly stocked fish. Your tank could house a 1 male 2 female trio of apistos. You would need a cave per female and one spare.

With your water you could keep the vast majority of fish from south America and Asia, though with a tank 81 cm long you need to stick with the smaller species which don't dash round the tank but pootle around.
Most small tetras would be fine; harlequin rasboras; rice fish; honey gouramis; peacock gudgeons/gobies (both name are used) though not with kribs or apistos are they are also bottom dwelling fish. If you didn't have any other bottom dwellers - that is no kribs, apistos or gudgeons - you could keep a species of cory. Cories have no concept of territory so never learn to keep out of other fish territories and get picked on.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
Thanks Sue, will take a look at your recommendations and update my suggestions.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
ok, updated list:

Cherry Barb
Kribensis
Neon Tetra
Spotted Headstander
Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid
Harlequin Rasbora
Honey Gourami

1 warning: Honey Gourami's can be delicate and may not mix with Dwarf Cichlids

May have to choose between them 2.  I assume a lot of these selections will be based on what my local shops have in stock and I'm assuming given they're local they would stock mainly fish for this areas water hardness etc?

Maybe a stupid question, but does anyone deliver fish via mail/courier?

Also, out of the above fish, I'm planning to gets some mature media and seed my tank, however, I will still need some more hardy fish, so looking for recommendations on the above or others which would be better during the initial cycle process.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Better except for the kribs and apistos. There are two reasons. First they are both cichlids and male cichlids are territorial. The tank is not big enough for 2 male cichlids. Secondly, one is African, the other south American. They will not understand each other's signals, both physical and chemical. This will make territorial disputes a lot worse, most likely ending in a blood bath. You would have to choose one or the other.

I have kept honey gouramis and apsitos in the same tank with no problems.

To be honest, in this sized tank a shoal of cherry barbs, one of neon tetras, and another of harlequins plus either kribs or apistos or gouramis would be enough. And by shoal I mean 10 of each. Personally I'd go with kribs or apistos as gouramis are surface fish and the shoaling fish swim in the upper half of the tank while either a mated pair of kribs or a trio of apistos would live in the bottom half of the tank. Either cichlid plus 10 each of cherry barbs, harlies and neons would take you to 75 to 80% stocked, which is a good amount.

I have left out the headstanders because I have never seen any in shops. And I've been to a lot of shops in 20 years  :)
Yes, you can get fish by mail order but there are few reasons not to.
Unless you buy a lot of fish at once, the cost of posting costs more than the fish. Sellers have to use licenced couriers and they don't come cheap.
You can't see the fish before you buy. And a lot won't choose between male and females for fish like apitos/kribs/gouramis. You get the first fish they catch. And you can't see if any other fish in the tank look sickly. When you can see the fish, never buy from a tank that has sickly fish.
The seller's water might be completely different from yours in which case you would need to acclimatise them very slowly and even so risk losing fish that can't cope with the transition.

My point about being able to choose which individual cichlids to get is important. You must choose fish which have paired up. Just any male and any female(s) could end up with one of them dead before long.

Can I ask, the tank size you give, is the height 56 or 40 cm? and is that the height of the glass or the top of the substrate (sand, gravel, whatever) to the water surface? You need the latter when working our water volume. Most manufacturers quote the volume with the total height of the glass, but you can't fill the tank right to the brim, there must be an air space between the water surface and the top of the glass.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
I have left out the headstanders because I have never seen any in shops. And I've been to a lot of shops in 20 years  :)
There are some currently in my LFS, so perhaps a batch has been flown into the UK recently, therefore I wouldn't completely exclude them just yet just in case yours have them in stock too.  :)

[Edited to add: I see they're included in the MA databank https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank/spotted-headstander- (along with other headstanders) which would tally with my experience.]

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
I must admit I've seen them once before too a couple of years ago... but I didn't like them... they looked well... dead. Very strange position they stay in!

@Bazza2000 You need to be careful with how many honey gourami you get and what sex they are too to minimise bullying. I have 2, one is a big bully in the tank (never mind the other gourami).

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:36:40 PM »
Interestingly, I hadn't actually noticed them - I just assumed it was fish foraging in the way cherry barbs do, but it was a member of staff who pointed out what they were.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
Can I ask, the tank size you give, is the height 56 or 40 cm? and is that the height of the glass or the top of the substrate (sand, gravel, whatever) to the water surface? You need the latter when working our water volume. Most manufacturers quote the volume with the total height of the glass, but you can't fill the tank right to the brim, there must be an air space between the water surface and the top of the glass.

Tank height is 56cm which by the looks of it is the full height of the tank with nothing in it, so, assuming 2-3 cm of substrate and 2-3 reduction due to not filling to the max, I'd say 50cm of water height if that makes sense.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have hard water, so have no experience of the fish that you have listed.
Going just on information on SF, and looking at the pictures, I'd agree with Sue about larger numbers of the shoaling fish. Bigger shoals of smaller fish look great. Cherry barbs, neon tetras, and harlequin rasbora are all very colourful fish, and I think they would look amazing together.
Between the apistos and the kribs, I like the shape of the fins on the apistos, and it has some yellow, which you'd previously mentioned you wanted with the orange chromide, and I think that a splash of yellow would stand out with the colours of the shoaling fish.
I'm clicking back and forth between the forum and SF, to check out pics of the fish, and the honey gourami have just had a verbal/out loud "oooo" of interest from me. Interesting shape, colour and markings. Would it be worth considering perhaps a shoal of either cherry barbs OR harlequin rasbora (both red in colour), with neon tetras, at least 10 of each, to allow for enough stocking space for apistos and honey gourami? This could also give you room for the headstanders, if you can find them.
Just to reiterate, this is just my personal opinion from looking at SF profiles, and I have no experience with these soft water fish. It is worth mentioning that it is also normal for people to start keeping tanks with small numbers of many different species of fish, then often go on to keeping larger numbers of less species.
Without seeing the fish live, and with no experience of these fish, just looking at the size/colour/markings, if I was told to pick from your list I would go with honey gourami, apistos, headstanders (if available - great markings and I like the odd way they are head down), then larger shoals of neon tetras, then it's a tough choice between the rasboras and cherry barbs. I've always had a soft spot for rasbora because I can't have them, though think that if you could get the headstanders (with their awesome markings), then the cherry barbs (more a solid colour fish) may emphasize the headstanders.

I really shouldn't spend time looking on SF at fish I can't have.  ::)

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice Donna/Sue, think it may now come down to stock at my local LFS.
One final query is which of my selection are the most hardy to assist with my fish-in cycle?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
None.

A fish-in cycle is not a good idea. It stresses any fish used and at best they will not live out their full life expectancy. I know you want to do a fish-in cycle so the tank will have fish straight away for your children, but are you prepared to do daily 50% water changes for weeks, and risk the fish dying during the process?

There are two safe ways to cycle a tank - fishless cycling and silent cycling.

This sticky explains fishless cycling https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/

Silent cycling involves the use of live plants. Before any fish are bought, the tank is planted with both plants that are rooted in the substrate and floating plants. And not just one or two live plants but a lot of them. Once you are sure the plants are growing well, fish are added one species at a time and testing the water daily for ammonia and nitrite after each addition. If either show up, a water change is needed. After a couple of weeks with no ammonia or nitrite, the next species can be added.

With either method, neon tetras should only be added once the tank has been cycled a few months. That is, once the tank is mature, which means it has grown a lot more types of micro-organism. For reasons we do not yet understand, some fish do not do well in tanks that are not mature, and neon tetras are among those species.

Looking back through your posts I missed that you said you will be using Fluval's cycling enhancer. Don't bother, it won't work. Instead, try Tetra Safe Start. This one contains the correct species of nitrite eating bacteria, and does actually work provided it has been stored correctly (though with the weather this summer if it was left aboard a delivery lorry for hours the heat may have killed the contents). And even TSS does not cycle a tank instantly; it is better used for supplementing a fishless cycle.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 07:19:44 PM »
Did you mention getting some mature media? And do you want to stock live plants?

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 07:36:15 PM »
This thread continues here https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/1-week-fishless-cycle-with-mature-media-then-fish-in-recommendations/ I haven't merged them because this one is more about which fish, the other about how to proceed setting the tank up.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:53 PM »
This thread continues here https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/1-week-fishless-cycle-with-mature-media-then-fish-in-recommendations/ I haven't merged them because this one is more about which fish, the other about how to proceed setting the tank up.

Thanks, and I agree they should be separate for now.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
Just wanted to continue this thread about fish and another potential  :vcross: for me.  My son is obsessed with Koi Angel, I've said to him we can't have them because the tank isn't big enough, however, he said "Well lets get a bigger tank!" which I initially laughed at, but then the wife agreed with him albeit after we've set the 1st one up and got a healthy community going (i.e. 6-12 months).
Anyway, the thought has now crossed my mind that the LFS has a few baby Koi angels which arn't much bigger than the Cherry barbs if I'm honest, so my question is, could I add 2-4 Koi Angel to my community, with a view that once they get bigger I could transfer them to my "new" bigger tank in 12-18 months time before they start to become a problem?  Similarly, could I do the same with a few other fish I've discounted due to the size they grow to?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
You could do this with the angels. However to be honest I would recommend being very careful with what fish you plan to stock angels with. They are not really community fish and they also have very individual characters which must be accounted for. Growing them on then transferring them would be a good way to learn their characters though and what you think you might be able to stock with them. I guess I'm saying maybe just get the angelefish for now rather than others to grow on too. Many people choose to keep angels in a species only tank for these reasons.

I have no idea how long they would take to grow to a size or age when things would become problematic in your tank. That is worth some research.

I suppose the other question is are you sure you want the maintenance requirements of two tanks, the costs etc etc...

Edited to add: angels also need quite a big tank 90cm minimum and quite high due to their shape. Would probably end up as a 200litre is set up...

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
Angels are a bit of a problem.
Unusually for cichlids, they are shoaling fish and need a group of them so they need a big tank. Further problems arise if two of them pair up and they spawn as they will pick on the rest of the shoal unless they are in a huge tank.
2 angels can be a problem. 2 males will fight. A male and female that are not bonded would fight. A male and female that choose each other would pick on any 'spare' angels, and if they bred would keep all the other fish herded at the opposite end of the tank

Personally, I think angels are more trouble than they are worth, despite how pretty they are  :)

It is not a good idea to get fish knowing they'll need a bigger tank. 12 to 18 months is too long to keep fish in a tank that's too small as they reach their adult size pretty quickly. And what happens if circumstances change and you can't get that bigger tank?

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »
Understood, good advice, thanks Sue.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 07:06:40 AM »
"Well lets get a bigger tank!" which I initially laughed at, but then the wife agreed with him albeit after we've set the 1st one up and got a healthy community going (i.e. 6-12 months).

Hooray, plans for a larger tank in the (relatively short term) future.  :cheers:

My advice - get the very biggest tank you can find some space for. Consider moving furniture if you have to. ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank, looking for comments and advice on my fish selection."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 05:15:47 PM
by DutchyHolland
18 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 02:33:52 PM
by Alex_N
2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 07:03:49 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2018, 11:58:58 AM
by Robert
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post November 28, 2017, 01:39:39 PM
by joeandrews18
42 Replies
Last post July 22, 2019, 07:21:40 PM
by Stripyjoe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: