New Tank, Looking For Comments And Advice On My Fish Selection.

Author Topic: New Tank, looking for comments and advice on my fish selection.  (Read 15902 times) 68 replies

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: New Tank, looking for comments and advice on my fish selection.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ok, Tank cycle has stalled due to not having enough fish to create more ammonia than the plants are consuming so its more fish time  ;D  Only problem is, after researching and getting advice on my original selection, I'm not keen on a few of them now and want a bit more colour in the tank.

So, I have a few more to add to my list and a few removed:

Original List:
Tank Stock Levels:
8x Cherry Barbs (09/Sep/2018)
Current Community Fish Plan:
Neon Tetra
Spotted Headstander
Harlequin Rasbora

Honey Gourami
Kribensis or Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid

New List:
Neon Tetra
Honey Gourami
Golden Ram/Bolivian Ram
Zebra Danio
Gold Barb (will they mix with the Cherries?)
Dwarf Gourami - Assuming this is either/or with Honey or other type of Gourami? or can multiple types live together?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
New List:
Neon Tetra
Honey Gourami
Golden Ram/Bolivian Ram
Zebra Danio
Gold Barb (will they mix with the Cherries?)
Dwarf Gourami - Assuming this is either/or with Honey or other type of Gourami? or can multiple types live together?

I'm really sorry but I'm going to suggest none of these are suitable!... it can be so frustrating this comparability stuff..
Bolivian Rams are A LOT hardier than golden rams. I would not recommend golden rams for beginners or in immature tanks. I would personally mix neither with kribensis.
Zebra danio and Gold barb prefer lower temperatures than all your other fish.
Dwarf gourami I would love to keep myself though unfortunately the vast majority of stock in stores is infected with an untreatable and incurable virus which means they have much shortened lives (often dying shortly after purchase) and will get ill with nothing you can do. You also cannot mix gourami species.

Sorry if that is disappointing!... you could go with the Bolivian rams instead of the kribs if you liked! Dwarf gourami is an option too instead of honies... but you need to be prepared to explain it too the kids if the worst happens and with a new set up etc. this doesn't seem like a good fit.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 07:42:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
No need to apologise @Matt, the honesty is more than welcome so I don't make incorrect selections.
I'll take a trip to LFS today and see what they have and then make another list ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 09:37:58 AM »
I agree with Matt.

Danios also need a long tank, at least 100cm long simply because they are such fast swimming fish. Those that have them in big tanks say they can cross a 120 cm (4 foot) tank in under 1 second.

I would also not keep more than one species of cichlid in your tank. It is possible in larger tanks, but not the footprint of yours (81 x 40 cm). That means either kribs or apistos or Bolivian rams; no more than one species.

Your cycle has not stalled  :) It is going perfectly. Your ammonia and nitrite are constantly zero since you've had fish.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
I'm not keen on a few of them now and want a bit more colour in the tank.
I see you've struck off harlequin rasboras. Personally, I find these stand out colour-wise and on account of their patterning. What I've realised about fish is that it's not all about colour - I currently have a shoal of neon green coloured fish but they're actually more eye-catching on account of their behaviour and activity than their colour, a few silver coloured body fish who are eye-catching on account of their dorsal and caudal fin colouring, plus harlequin rasboras who are eye-catching on account of their unique patterning and colouring. Not sure if that helps at all but just thought I'd throw this factor into the mix.

Once you've been to the LFS and have seen all the fish in action, that'll probably help considerably in your choices.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
Thanks Sue.  Any other recommendations for non-redish but colourful fish that would fit with my requirements that I could keep an eye out for at my LFS?

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »
I'm not keen on a few of them now and want a bit more colour in the tank.
I see you've struck off harlequin rasboras. Personally, I find these stand out colour-wise and on account of their patterning. What I've realised about fish is that it's not all about colour - I currently have a shoal of neon green coloured fish but they're actually more eye-catching on account of their behaviour and activity than their colour, a few silver coloured body fish who are eye-catching on account of their dorsal and caudal fin colouring, plus harlequin rasboras who are eye-catching on account of their unique patterning and colouring. Not sure if that helps at all but just thought I'd throw this factor into the mix.

Once you've been to the LFS and have seen all the fish in action, that'll probably help considerably in your choices.

Thanks @fcmf I'll have a good look shortly at my LFS and see what they have and if they recommend anything, then come back and have a think before I go to purchase.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
Not a huge amount of stock of harlequins at LFS, only a couple left, so decided on Penguin Tetras, didn't want to go too many so went for 4, but starting to think should have got 6 or 8, but worried about adding too many to a cycling tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
It would have been better to get 8 in total. Seriously Fish says they should be fine in your tank and water, and with smaller barbs [eg cherry barbs]. It does comment on their reputed fin nipping behaviour but adds that this should not happen with several of them, preferably 10 or more.
Presumably the fin nipping is part of their hierarchy that I mentioned in another post - they set up and maintain the hierarchy through nipping, and if there aren't enough of them they include other species as part of the shoal. In this case it is important to get the whole shoal at one go or half a shoal will sort out the hierarchy, then you get more and they have to sort it put all over again. Maybe another trip to the shop asap? Their need to set up a hierarchy outweighs the need to add small groups of fish.
Expect some nipping as they sort their hierarchy out.

When I was restocking my tank a few years ago I had two option plans - Asian or South American. Penguins were on my S American list. But I went with the Asian option.

Did you know there are two species of penguin tetra? Thayeria obliqua is the true penguin and Thayeria boehlkei is the false penguin. The one in shops is usually the false penguin. Their needs are the same, so it's just a matter of interest which ones you have. Look them up on Seriously Fish to see the difference  :)

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 05:45:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks Sue, unfortunately, couldn't make it back to the shop in time before closing, so I'll head down 1st things after kids Sunday football  :D

Looking at the 2 types, I'd say (attached photo) that I have the false Thayeria boehlkei type.  I'll keep an eye on the fin nipping and see how the additional 4 settle in tomorrow.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »
Nice pic - and this species of fish are particularly interesting because of their nose-upwards swimming action, different from many fish.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
I have these in one of my South American tanks. I'm quite partial to them, and their swimming style.
I had a few problems with fin nipping in the beginning, even saw one of them have a go at the bristlenose, but since that incident there has been some rearrangement, and things have settled down.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
Hey @Bazza2000
I had a trip to the local MA this morning, and guess what they've just got in........spotted headstanders.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
Hey @Bazza2000
I had a trip to the local MA this morning, and guess what they've just got in........spotted headstanders.

No way!! Thats Mega!! Just need to fill the car up for the 400 miles round trip to pick them up  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
I know from asking about ordering fish at Maidenhead Aquatics that they can only get fish on 'The List'. As the MA near Littlefish has some they are obviously on MA's list so if you have a branch near you, you could see if they'll get some in for you.
Or ask at an independent store. My favourite shop has ordered fish for me in the past.

But if a shop does order some for you wait at least a week before collecting them to make sure they are OK.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
It might be worth contacting your nearest MA to see if they have them in, @Bazza2000. I mentioned mine had them in stock recently too; I think if they're in one, it could well be that many of the MAs get them in.

Edited to add (as my post overlapped with Sue's): www.fishkeeper.co.uk, MA's website, updates their stocklist regularly in the Databank. In mine, and I have a feeling this is the same UK-wide, the fish are flown in to the UK en masse at the end of every month / start of the new month. You could ask your local MA if they are on the list for coming in to that store when the next stock arrive or request that they do order them in.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
To be honest, I'm happy with the Penguin Tetras as they are similar (apart from the swimming style) looking.  Purchased 4 more today which gives me a shoal of 8 now and they all appear to be swimming around together so will wait until the hierarchy is sorted over the next few days and see how get on.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
I like the penguin tetras too. They are great in a shoal.  :)
I was just so surprised to see the spotted headstanders that I had to take a pic & let you know.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
Yep, really like them now too.  I asked LFS about head standers last week and they said they get them every now and again when they are available but very rarely.

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
There are some species of wild caught fish which are only captured at certain times of the year. Outside these times these species are unavailable. However, I have no idea if spotted headstanders are wild caught or commercially bred, and if they are wild caught I have no idea if they are seasonal  :-\

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank, looking for comments and advice on my fish selection."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 05:15:47 PM
by DutchyHolland
18 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 02:33:52 PM
by Alex_N
2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 07:03:49 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2018, 11:58:58 AM
by Robert
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post November 28, 2017, 01:39:39 PM
by joeandrews18
42 Replies
Last post July 22, 2019, 07:21:40 PM
by Stripyjoe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: