Author Topic: Are my fish compatible  (Read 5399 times) 7 replies

Offline Ironside79

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Are my fish compatible
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:22:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi all

I done a lot of research on my fish for compatibility, but I am not sure about putting 2 female dwarfs in a tank 92cm long and 180L, can you guys check this for compatibility problems that I may have missed.

x20 Cardinal Tetra
x8 Emperor Tetra, 4 male 4 female
x4 Otocinclus
x6 Marbled Hatchetfish
x3 Siamese Fighting Fish, all female
x2 Ram / Butterfly Cichlid x2 females I don't want mating and babies
x4 Three-lined Cory
x2 Dwarf Gourami x2 females I don't want mating and babies

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (20) - Otocinclus (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Emperor Tetra (8) - Honey Gourami (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Are my fish compatible
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
You've picked some cracking fish, but it seems like quite a mix. I'd recommend upping the number of otocinclus and cories as they are gregarious fish. I'd have at least 6 of each, preferably more. Mixing gouramis, rams and bettas could cause problems. Personally I'd choose one species as a centrepiece and increased the numbers of the other species. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid if you're keeping hatchetfish, they're superb jumpers!

I'm assuming you have soft acidic water based on the fish you've selected. Also, I haven't checked your stocking levels on the community creator, but my gut says it looks okay.

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Ironside79

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
hi Cod_only_knows

yeah i do have too many different species

is this any better

x20 Cardinal Tetra
x8 Emperor Tetra, 4 male 4 female
x6 Otocinclus
x3 Siamese Fighting Fish, all female
x6 Three-lined Cory
x2 Dwarf Gourami x2 females I don't want mating and babies

Japonica Shrimp (20) - Otocinclus (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Emperor Tetra (8) - Honey Gourami (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (1) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »
Bettas should not really be kept with other fish, and definitely not with gouramis.
A group of female bettas is called a sorority. They should be the only fish in the tank and in a group of at least 4. They may be females but they are still aggressive fish. One female is OK (provided there are no gouramis); with two, one will pick on the other; with three, two will gang up on one. With four or more the aggression gets spread out and no one fish gets picked on all the time.

Dwarf gouramis are often infected by dwarf gourami disease, which is incurable and fatal. A lot of shops will only sell dwarfs as a male/female pair and some do not stock females because they are "so plain and boring no-one will buy them" (females are plain silvery grey with perhaps a hint of colour)
Personally, I would go with a different species of gourami.

Emperor tetras are active fish and will stress out placid gouramis.

I would go for the two tetra species, cories and rams. Since you want two female rams there shouldn't be a problem with the cories getting attacked by spawning rams. Then once the tank has been running 6 months, get some otos. You need to wait until the tank has matured and grown algae before getting these fish.

But as Cod says, make sure you have soft water. If you don't already know your tap water hardness, it should be somewhere on your water company's website.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »
Just did a quick check on the community creator and you have plenty of stocking capacity. Why not go for a dozen of the shoaling fish, they display much better colours and more natural behaviour in larger groups.

I've never kept Dwarf Gourami and Bettas before, but that seems like the only potential issue. The males may harass the colourful female siamese fighting fish.

Just an idea, the majority of your fish are South American. If you substituted the Gourami and Bettas for dwarf cichlids like Rams or Apistogramma you coould have a biotope tank. If you wanted to go the whole hog, you could even use S. American plants like: Bacopa, Cabomba, Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri) to name but a few.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
Sue beat me to it!

Offline Ironside79

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »
revised

x20 Cardinal Tetra
x10 Emperor Tetra, 5 male 5 female
x6 Otocinclus
x6 Three-lined Cory
x? how many Ram / Butterfly Cichlid can I have, what is recommended

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:32:59 AM »
4 rams (2 pairs) would be the safest option as they need to establish a territory on the tank floor.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Are my fish compatible"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 03:39:11 PM
by dbaggie
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 06:37:49 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: