Advice On What To Put With My Existing Odments Of Fish

Author Topic: Advice on what to put with my existing odments of fish  (Read 817 times)

Offline DawnF

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Advice on what to put with my existing odments of fish
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :wave:
Hi

My tank currently contains remnants of shoals and odd fish rather than groups. having left it for ages without adding any additional fish I added a shoal of neons (Wasn't sure ... but shop said they'd be ok in a big enough group) sadly they brought some illness or got stressed by something in my tank and only 4 out of 12 survived!)

Existing Fish - 1 Angel fish moderate size approx body size estimated 6-7cm  2 clown loaches - fairly large now, possibly 9cm long. 1 clown pleco, 1 scissortail (similar length to clown loaches), 1 bronze cory and 1 albino cory and of course the 4 neon tetras.

So my question is what would you add? I'd rather like a largish shoal or two of not too expensive fish, with some colour in them, possibly red as we have just redecorated with red and brown and cream colours. :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Fish Community Creator Tanks - Assess Tankmate Suitability Tool
Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Angelfish (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (1) - Angelfish (1) - Scissor-Tail (1) - Clown Loach (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Advice on what to put with my existing odments of fish
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 09:06:36 PM »
Can you let us know / remind us (i) what size this tank is (dimensions, how many litres it holds) and what your water hardness is (eg in degrees French/German/Clark or calcium/magnesium/calcium carbonate in mg/l)? Details of the water hardness should be on your water/utility company's website if you input your postcode. This should help us advise more appropriately. 
:fishy1:

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Get a school of Odessa Barbs. Stunning males and very active fish. They will happily contend with your current crowd and, provided they're kept in a large enough shoal, won't bother your Angelfish. A mature and settled male Odessa really is a sight to behold!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DawnF

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »
Can you let us know / remind us (i) what size this tank is (dimensions, how many litres it holds) and what your water hardness is (eg in degrees French/German/Clark or calcium/magnesium/calcium carbonate in mg/l)? Details of the water hardness should be on your water/utility company's website if you input your postcode. This should help us advise more appropriately. 
:fishy1:

Tank is a Juwel vision 180l. 90 wide bow front, aporox 35 w x 45 h (from memory) Water is hard in this area. I did write down the figure but have forgotten it now. Ok website says ca is 103.6 mg/ml and Mg is 5.6 mg/ml

Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Angelfish (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (1) - Angelfish (1) - Scissor-Tail (1) - Clown Loach (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) -

Offline DawnF

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
Get a school of Odessa Barbs. Stunning males and very active fish. They will happily contend with your current crowd and, provided they're kept in a large enough shoal, won't bother your Angelfish. A mature and settled male Odessa really is a sight to behold!

Thanks for this I have had some of these before. They are great!

Are Harlequin Rasboras too small?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
I'd be concerned about the angelfish, as it grows, considering harlequin rasboras as a potential meal due to their size. You might find this article helpful http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pterophyllum-scalare/

With hard water, you'd be best to look at this list for some inspiration https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/list-of-fish-suitable-for-high-ph-and-hard-water/ - cross-check it against fish of a similar size (eg 5-10cm) in http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles

Hope that helps as a "starter for ten".

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
First of all you do need to rehome the clown loaches. A 180 litre tank is far too small for them. They need a tank with a footprint of at least 180 x 60 cm. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/chromobotia-macracanthus/
The scissortail also needs a bigger tank http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/rasbora-trilineata/
I would also rehome the angelfish. Few people realise that angels are shoaling fish and should not be kept alone - though of course a shoal needs rather a large tank.

The plec, cories and neons are fine, and I would build a new community around these.

As for hardness, I'm afraid the calcium and magnesium levels are not the hardness. Hardness is all the divalent metal ions added together and a number assigned as though it was all calcium, or all calcium carbonate. Using the actual amount of calcium can be misleading.

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
Due to the body shape of harlequins I would think they would be ok with angels... they are less torpedo shaped than eg. Neons which are the same length.

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Tags:

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: