Gold Severum Tank Mates

Author Topic: Gold severum tank mates  (Read 9446 times) 6 replies

Offline Brendenjames8

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Gold severum tank mates
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:45:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Anyone have any ideas on viable tank mates for an already somewhat territorial Golden severum? He's about 3-4 inches. He gets along wonderfully with his current tank mates. Just hasn't always taken well to new additions (those being his size or bigger) Based on previous advice, I am going to attempt to remove the severum, change the tank around, add the new fish(s) and then put the severum back in.
Also in my stock I have:

1 x Pearl Gourami
1 x Rainbow Shark
1 x Clown Pleco
4 x White Skirt Tetras

55 gallon tank

Thanks in advance! - See more at: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/general-fishkeeping-advice/gold-severum-tank-mates/#sthash.LnFbQBT6.dpuf

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rainbow Shark (1) - Severum (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Pearl Gourami (1) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Yoyo Loach (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Gold severum tank mates
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:57 AM »
I have deleted the other topic in General Fishkeeping as this topic is in the appropriate board.

If you haven't already discovered the community creator it is a great tool to get ideas on suitability and compatibility with your tank and of course other tank mates.

You need to send a request for a password and use the email you created your Thinkfish profile with as the login username.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
Looking at your other thread, you've tried a blood parrot (severum bullied it) and a convict (bullied the severum).
Even with moving the decor round I would be reluctant to try another cichlid as those are what the severum has problems with. Maybe try again if you get that bigger tank you mention in the other thread.

I've just looked again at Seriously Fish and in particular its tank size requirements. I now think the reason you are having problems with the severum and other cichlids is tank size. SF recommends
Its not really suitable for tanks less than 48″ x 18″ x 18″ (120cm x 45cm x 45cm) – 243 litres in size.
You currently have a 55 gall tank. If that's American galls, it's 208 litres; if it's Imperial galls, that's 250 litres.

The sev is behaving like this because it is stressed as its tank isn't big enough. Even if your galls are Imperial, the tank is the minimum size the sev needs. Fish often behave against type when they are stressed, becoming either more aggressive or more timid.

I would not get any more cichlids until you have upgraded to the 100 galls you mention in your other thread. But you do have room for non-cichlids. Using the Community Creator and 209 litres (ie 55 US galls), you have a lot of 'unused' space. In the fish profiles, rainbow shark is called ruby shark and skirt tetras are black widow tetras (just different colours of Gymnocorymbus ternetzi).
[I used American galls in the CC as they are more common in fish keeping].

Until you upgrade, personally I'd get more white skirts (white widows) and maybe 10 to 12 of another shoaling species. But I would wait until after the upgrade before trying more cichlids.

PS - are you located in the USA? I just wonder as you give tank sizes in galls rather than litres and you call your tetras white skirts rather than white widows.

Offline Brendenjames8

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »
@Sue, I definitely agree that another cichlid isn't in the cards at the moment. On the other hand, what you are reading about the tank size sevs need is probably referring to a full grown sev. My sev is very small at the moment and I really don't feel is 'stressed' in his grow out tank. He is about the same size (maybe a little bigger) as my gourami and he does fine with him. But I do agree that it seems to be too small in terms of another cichlid in the tank.

After doing a bunch more research, I think I have decided to do exactly what you said. My current plan is to get more white widows to complete that shoal.

As far as added another shoal of something, do you have any recommendations? Maybe another tetra species, or is there something that would be a better addition?

Thank you again for all your help! You have been super helpful and I appreciate it  :D

Also, yes I do live in the US.  :cheers:

Rainbow Shark (1) - Severum (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Pearl Gourami (1) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Yoyo Loach (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »
When thinking about stocking, always think of the fish as adult. Just because the sev is not fully grown yet doesn't mean it won't behave like an adult if it has reached puberty already. Just think about teenaged human behaviour  ;D

Sevs and tetras are soft water so I assume you have soft water? If so, most tetras above 2 inches should be OK. Nothing small enough for the sev to eat when it is fully grown. If you don't mind about having fish from different areas of the world (and you already have some Asian fish) maybe barbs, though check on the nippiness of a species since you have a gourami.

Offline Brendenjames8

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
@Sue that is true. He could very well just be an angsty teenager now  :vcross:

The water here isn't really too soft but I do try my best to make it as soft as possible, I also have some malaysian wood in there which helps with my pH.

Since my white tetras have been doing so well since I set this tank up in january, I think I may just stick with them. I'll probably add some more white tetras and then try some black ones too just for a change or color. I also thought about buenos aires tetras but they tend to get a little bigger don't they? I've had barbs before and they were just too active and nippy for my taste.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:20:47 PM »
You could always get some black skirt (black widow) tetras as they are the same species - Gymnocorymbus ternetzi - so they should get on. Rosy tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) or red phantom tetras (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi) would be OK if you wanted more colour. A biggish shoal should avoid nippiness problems. Or perhaps emperor tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri).
Seriously Fish reckons a tank of 90 x 30 cm (36 x 12 inches) minimum for buenos aires tetras so they are do-able in your 55 gall, and definitely in the upgrade if you want to wait that long.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Gold severum tank mates"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 08:50:38 AM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
by biffster
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
41 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 02:33:41 PM
by Diz1
5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
by Cichlidman
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: