Bronze Corys Keep Dying, Bad Stock Or Am I Doing Anything Wrong?

Author Topic: Bronze Corys keep dying, bad stock or am I doing anything wrong?  (Read 8131 times) 38 replies

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Bronze Corys keep dying, bad stock or am I doing anything wrong?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I do have a tank already with a sand substrate (80 litre with a bristlenose pleco and some black neons) which I could move them into. It does have a few rocks in there (I use them to create a barrier between the filter and sand), would this be a problem?

However I am worried just in case it is not the gravel and they are infected with something.

I am thinking of setting up a small tank and putting the last 2 corys in there (I think around it's 12 to 15 litres). I would fill it with water from the main tank and adding some floating plants. Hopefully these will remove ammonia as suggested in the other comments, but not sure how I could provide enough light for these, would a desk lamp over the tank work?

I would keep this tank bare at the bottom. I will try the small filter I have (healthy fish have been fine with it in the past, but it's too strong for weak sick fish), and if it's too strong, use an airstone instead or look at getting another filter.

If they are still alive in a month and appear healthy, I would move them to the sand substrate tank.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

Thanks

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 02:10:27 PM »
I have just found some spare sand so I would put sand in the temporary tank for the corys!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 08:07:26 PM »
I think it's worth a try putting the last two into the smaller tank with some sand.
Move some filer media from the main tank and put it in to the small filter.
See how it goes with a desk lamp for plants. It is something I've done short term and the plants survived.
Good luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and the corys.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 01:36:27 PM »
I agree with Littlefish's (helpful-as-always) advice. I've also used a desk lamp with live plants, for the quarantine tank, and managed to keep them alive - Amazon sword, from recollection.
Best of luck.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »
Thanks!

I moved them into the small tank about half an hour ago. I found a small LED spot light for a display cabinet which I am using for the plants. I put some filter media from an existing tank into the small filter, and the filter flow doesn't seem to be bothering the corys. They seem quite relaxed now in the small tank, so hopefully being caught and moved hasn't been too stressful for them.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
This all sounds good.

On the subject of internal filters that you mentioned before [replies #8 and #10], I was sorting through some 2017/2018 PFK mags recently, and found a review of 50 internal filters.  Your Interpet Mini isn't included but the PF1-PF4 four filters are. If you were thinking of trying an alternative, the following might be possibilities:
* JBL Cristal i30 - for tanks 10-40L, no flow control (a downside) but adjustable flow direction [FC/AFD], litres per hour when loaded 152 or otherwise max 200.
* Aqua Internal Filter 50 - 0-50L, no FC or AFD, l/hr loaded 68 and max 100.
* Superfish Aquaflow 50 - 0-50L, no FC or AFD, l/hr loaded 69 and max 100.
* Dennerle Nano Eckfilter - 10-40L, FC and AFD, l/hr loaded 106 and max 150 [I have this for QT].
[For comparison:
* Fluval U1 - up to 55L, FC and AFD, l/hr loaded 175 and max 250.
* Interpet PF1 - 45-68L, FC and AFD, l/hr loaded 237 and max 380.
* Eheim PickUp 60 - up to 60L, no FC but AFD, l/hr loaded 208 and max 300.  NB. There is a 45 model but not included in review.]

[Dictated and checked for accuracy.]

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 08:13:14 AM »
Thanks for the filter recommendations. I have swapped to a sponge filter for now as I felt the filter I was using was too strong (the corys became alot more active after I removed it and started digging in the sand), but I have still kept the filter media in the tank. I will see how they get on with the sponge filter for now, and look into getting a new filter at some point.

Corys are still alive in the small tank, but having trouble maintaining good water quality. I did not feed them on the day I moved them, or yesterday, but ammonia and nitrite have now climbed up to 0.25. I am doing a daily water change and adding Prime. I also added more filter media from my Betta tank and some gravel from the original aquarium (I put it in a filter bag) to try and help, but it doesn't seem to have done anything yet.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 08:25:57 PM »
Both corys are still alive and well in the quarantine tank. They seem to be enjoying the sand and their barbels are looking long. The plants didn't do too well though (maybe the light wasn't strong enough) so I have had to remove them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 09:49:12 PM »
Glad to hear that your corys are doing well in the other tank.  :)

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 01:25:21 PM »
Today I noticed a white thing on one of the cory's backs. At first I thought it might be Ich, but there is only 1 spot, it doesn't seem to be attached to a fin and after a quick internet search, I understand that corys are unlikely to get Ich. The corys has been swimming around and it is still attached, so I don't think it's just a bit of debris or a bubble.

There has been a small ammonia spike in the tank this week (up to 0.25ppm) which I have been dealing with using Prime and daily water changes of 50%. The fish have showed no signs of stress at all.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I have attached a photo. Unfortunately it is not good quality as the corys swim away when I go anywhere near the tank. It is just the spot on the back, there might be bubbles in the water which look like other spots in the photo but they aren't.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
It looks much smaller now, wondering if it is an Ich that has burst or just debris which happened to be stuck to the fish for a while. I may leave it another week or 2 before putting them in the 80 litre aquarium to be on the safe side!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2021, 03:12:39 PM »
If it's just an isolated dot like that, I wouldn't worry too much. I've had the occasional fish with their own little marking like that, either becoming permanent, coming and going, or temporary. I think your plan of postponing moving the fish sounds wise, as a couple of weeks ought to give some indication of whether it evolves into anything or simply remains static or disappears.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2021, 10:58:05 PM »
Unfortunately I lost one of the corys and the other looks like it isn't going to make it.

Everything went well in quarantine, and I moved them into my other aquarium 3 days ago. I suspected that the white dots were either sand or possibly residue from Prime I was putting in the water and they seemed happy and healthy until I moved them. They seemed OK in the main aquarium, they hid alot but were still eating and scavenging in the sand.

However this evening I went to check on them and one was upside down looking quite bloated. It was dead. The other one looks like it has possible buoyancy problems too and I suspect it may be dead by the morning.

There have been no ammonia or nitrite spikes and I acclimatised them slowly.  I removed all rocks and anything they might hurt their barbells on in advance, so it definitely wasn't that. All I can think of is that it is stress.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
Sorry to read about this.

I doubt the Prime caused the white dots (based on my own experience of using it), so it's probably more likely your other explanations. I think stress most likely is the cause of the death(s), unfortunately - despite being very careful about transfer, I've had a few fatalities soon after.  [I have often wondered if the enhanced water flow in the main tank accounts for it - I've had a few particularly small fish that seem to struggle as though "drowning" from which they don't recuperate.]

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
The only 2 variables that were different were the tank mates and the filtration, so the increased flow rate is definitely a possibility. I was using a very gentle sponge filter in the quarantine tank and in the 80 litre it was a large internal filter which created a bit of current. I am tempted to try a sponge filter in my main aquarium as the water flow does seem to stress some fish out and small fish do get stuck behind the filter from time to time!

I think I will have to give up on keeping cories, they seem far too sensitive!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 08:12:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that you lost a cory, and that the second looks unwell.
I've generally been quite lucky with my corys, and have not experienced the sort of issues you have had recently, so I don't know what to suggest.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2021, 08:51:26 PM »
Unfortunately the other cory died today :(

I thought corys were hardy and easy to keep fish when I bought them. I even went for bronze over panda or albino as I thought they would be hardier. I don't think I will risk getting any more as I have no idea what killed them.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:49 PM »
Sorry to hear this, you really didn’t seem to have much luck with them. I wonder if they had poor genes - some of the most popular species do nowadays...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 11:27:50 PM »
Sad news about the second cory.
I can't put my finger on what the problem could be either.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bronze Corys keep dying, bad stock or am I doing anything wrong?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM
by Kirstos
4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 11:11:05 AM
by les-goose
5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 10:37:34 PM
by Diz1
6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 10:02:43 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 07:57:56 AM
by Matt
5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 11:02:51 AM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: