Sail Fin Plecostomus

Author Topic: Sail fin Plecostomus  (Read 3374 times) 2 replies

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
Sail fin Plecostomus
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all. there doesn't seem to be a board for general fish keeping questions so I hope this will get seen here.
I have a 119 litre community tank containing 2 small bristle nose plecs, 2 yoyo loaches, 3 Mollies and about a dozen tetra's and rasboras.
I bought a second hand tank about a year ago and had to accept the fish that came with it. I kept the 2 angel fish and the torpedo in the second hand tank, but it is quite a small tank so as a temporary measure I put George the Giant (a Sailfin Plec) in the community tank.
But George is a foot long!
He uproots the plants when he swims, and he stirs up the substrate, which has the advantage of keeping the substrate cleaner but I have to clean the filter every few days due to the amount of stuff he stirs up.
The other fish seem a little nervous of him.
I now have a new tank, currently cycling with the intention of giving George a home of his own.
My question is this:
Will he be happy by himself?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Sail fin Plecostomus
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
OMG! Any chance of some pictures of George, please.  ;D

I don't have any experience with the specific fish, but another part of the question is also "how happy would the other fish be without him?"

A quick search indicates that he would be ok on his own, but I'll leave it to the more experienced keepers to give you a definitive answer.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sail fin Plecostomus
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
Sailfin plecs grow quite a bit bigger than a foot long, so they need really huge tanks.

As far as I'm aware, plecs don't need the company of other fish. The real plec experts are on planetcatfish, it might be an idea to sign up there and ask what's the best for George.

Tags: loner? 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: