Author Topic: Otocinclus - Tricky beasts  (Read 7360 times) 26 replies

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Otocinclus - Tricky beasts
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@jaypeecee I automatically think of the green stuff when I think of algae... but doesn’t BBA also house microorganisms? It’s a mini-environment in its own right so I would imagine so.

“All algae eaters” is probably not correct as there are always exceptions... but nearly all must surely intake some of the other life living in it...?

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »
I automatically think of the green stuff when I think of algae... but doesn’t BBA also house microorganisms? It’s a mini-environment in its own right so I would imagine so.

Hi @Hampalong

I guess it's natural to think of the 'green stuff' when talking about algae but BBA, for example, is a type of red algae. For more information, this web site is pretty good:

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_algae_bba-black-beard-algae

All surfaces (including the water itself) can (and do) become home to a whole host of microorganisms. It's this collection of microorganisms that is known as aufwuchs or periphyton. For more information, please take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periphyton

JPC

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 03:53:26 PM »
I’m reasonably familiar with aufwuchs. I’m just wondering why you don’t consider BBA to be included in the term...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 08:50:44 PM »
I’m reasonably familiar with aufwuchs. I’m just wondering why you don’t consider BBA to be included in the term...

Hi Mark,

I am no expert in this branch of aquatics. I can only go by what I have read on this topic. Perhaps I should have said that earlier. My background is in the physical sciences, not the life sciences. What I have read about aufwuchs and periphyton is that they are microscopic life forms - algae spores, rotifers, tardigrades, bacteria, etc.

The statement that "All aquatic algae in a healthy natural environment is actually aufwuchs" is not my understanding. Would you refer to hair algae/filamentous algae as aufwuchs? It's just dawned on me that we may not have mentioned one of the features of aufwuchs and that is that they form a biofilm. Isn't that the key? For this reason, I don't consider BBA to be an example of aufwuchs. Phew, I got there in the end. Just didn't explain myself very well initially. My brain is not as agile as it used to be!  :isay:

JPC

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »
I think our understandings differ. Periphyton is all the micro-organisms attached to underwater surfaces. One online dictionary has this definition...

“freshwater organisms attached or clinging to plants and other objects projecting above the bottom sediments.”

To me that includes mud, sand, rocks, wood, plants, algae, (heaters, filters, pipes, cables, glass...).
Filamentous algae can form huge clogging clumps which would no doubt be host to many micro-organisms, so I would consider that very much periphyton.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 08:26:45 PM »
Hi @Hampalong

We're going round in circles. I'll check this out with an expert that I know.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »
We're going round in circles. I'll check this out with an expert that I know.

Hi @Hampalong & Everyone,

I checked this out with an ecologist (and aquarium keeper) that I know. And, @Hampalong, you are correct and I was wrong. This is what I was told:

"Aufwuchs or periphyton is just the algae that grows on surfaces. In the natural environment any wet, lit surfaces will grow algae. Therefore all attached algae is "periphyton".

That says it all. Thanks, @Hampalong for questioning my original understanding.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Otocinclus - Tricky beasts"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 01:44:04 PM
by fcmf
11 Replies
Last post April 14, 2020, 04:00:33 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: