Still can't use Emoticons.

Skittler

Offline Robert

• Administrator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Emoticons ??
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
There's no account reason why you shouldn't be able to Skittler. All I can think is it's a browser setting somewhere - maybe you've turned off JavaScript in your browser or some add on is preventing so called onclick events  :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
I can use them in other forums but still not here.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 06:25:02 PM »
I can use them in other forums but still not here.

Really? V strange.

Can you tell me what browsers you are using? Device too, it could be browser specific.

I've tried them on Google chrome, Safari and on a Mac and a pc with no issues.

Thanks!

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 08:16:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hello Robert,

I suspect the problem possibly occurred when I moved from Windows 7/Internet Explorer and Chrome to Windows 10/Microsoft Edge/Bing. Due to problems of my own, I didn't post anything for several weeks after the change. I am using an HP G56 laptop.

I think Simon reckoned there was a problem with Edge?

Skittler

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »
Thanks Skittler - assuming they just don't do anything when you click them?

I don't have a machine with windows 10/microsoft edge/bing - if RichardW does too then this could be a reason.
I'll see if I can find out why, but in the meantime there are textual shortcuts...here's an image for reference

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 10:36:42 PM »
@Robert is SMF updated to the latest version? See earlier in the thread, SMF have acknowledged it's a problem with the new Edge browser but they're aware and working on a fix.

In the meantime, those with the problem could opt to download and install a different browser, such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »
As I mentioned before, I am using Edge and like it. The lack of emoticons etc is no big deal. I did have problems with them with another forum, but that seems to have been fixed, it's only  this one now.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
As I mentioned before, I am using Edge and like it. The lack of emoticons etc is no big deal. I did have problems with them with another forum, but that seems to have been fixed, it's only  this one now.

Doh! Ah so you did! Apols - lots going on here so missed that. Tbh I see the words Microsoft and browsers and tend to filter things out - a legacy of years of Internet explorer frustrations! This example of simple comparability being yet another.

In any case, once smf release a fix and provided it's not going to break any of the other mods I'll put it through.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 09:24:17 AM »
Thanks Robert.

Skittler

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
I still havent plucked up the courage to download windows 10. The adage if it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
I did wait some months before I downloaded it. It was offered free by Microsoft. I had already deliberately missed out on everything since W7. Some things weren't working on Internet Explorer and I thought I'd better catch up! I assume, (but don't know), that at some point they will charge for it.

Skittler

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
Hello All

I have also been having trouble with emoticons, and formatting too, but have only just got round to doing something about it as (I hope) I'm nearing the end of more important fishy related stuff.   A quick read through the earlier posts steered me towards Windows Edge / Internet Explorer possibilities.

I'm fairly sure it's only Windows Edge that has the problem not Windows 10 per se.  If which case, don't hold your breath for Microsoft to fix it's own c**pware any time soon.  They've got more than enough on their hands fixing (or making worse) the gazillions of bugs in W10 as it is.

Using Edge has no effect on either emoticons or formatting for forum posts.

I've written this  reply using Internet Explorer running under Windows 10.

:wave: shows in my typed text as ": wave :", my quotes and spaces added.

bold text should be started by a b in square braces and terminated by /b, also in square braces

bullet points put the word list, enclosed in square braces, in the text. with the list being terminated by /list in square braces.

It all looks a bit weird in the text but, as Sue's mentioned, the preview version shows everything OK.

I've checked out that Safari (in Apple IOS) and Internet (Android) are working as expected.  Life's too short to checkout Mozilla, Firefox, Chrome, etc...

So, if you're a W10 user, set your default browser back to Internet Explorer or just open it only to access the forum.  Or use another platform.  I shan't be using my Android mobile as podgy fingers and ageing eyesight make any sort of length text input too frustrating!

If you only want to use Edge, you'll just have to remember all the codes and insert them in your text yourself.  Good luck with that!  :rotfl:

:cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »
There are lots of things that done work in Edge.  Very frustrating that it is set to default.  I think it is made for touchscreens as I could never get my mouse to scroll properly in Edge. I also gave up on Windows 10 recently altogether but that will start a rant of epic proportions...

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: