Author Topic: Adding images  (Read 25891 times) 29 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Adding images
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well done!

I think every keyboard must have a different layout! On mine, End is on the right side, second up.

But on the plus side, I have now found paint, thank you  ;D

For my photos I use some photographic software my husband bought. I gave up trying to get just the fish in the photo years ago, I just get it somewhere in the shot then use the software to crop the photo. The result is still too big, so I use the software to resize the image.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Paint is a bit brain-dead for any real-world usage. There are a number of free applications available. The one I used to use on Windows is called IrfanView. But there are a number of others available. IrfanView gives you some simple options for rotating and cropping and resizing of images.

If you use Linux the option of choice is called Gimp. There is a Windows version of this but I have never used it as it's been a long time since I dropped Windows.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
Paint is a bit brain-dead for any real-world usage.

Then it's perfect for me! ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »
Paint.net is quite a good tool (nothing like old school rubbish paint)

http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

And adobe released a version of Photoshop for those who once had the program but lost it.

The handy thing about this link is that if you can't find evidence of having ever owned it, they'll still let you download it and even supply a serial key for your use.

You have to create an adobe account but...how bad that :)

(back story here > http://gizmodo.com/5973730/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here)
Direct download below

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?pid=4485850&e=cs2_downloads

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
Hey all, just an addition on this one. I've upped the file size limits to 2mb.  :cheers:

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline Nat

• Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
Can someone please tell me how I can insert an image into a post? I've searched and read through several posts on this topic, but am none the wiser. Perhaps an explanation by one of the moderators would be useful as there seems to be no instructions on this. It's no use telling me to post my image on YouTube/Google/Facebook or similar as I do not have, and do not want, anything to do with any of those ....

I haven't posted on this forum for over a year, but I'm now back in this country for good. I retired in late 2012 and moved house soon after, with the my aquarium setup being bought by the previous house new owners. My intention was to start again with new equipment, but I was pulled out of retirement to help with a large project in Italy. So for the past 12 months I've only been in this country for a few days each month and I never want to see another plate of pasta again.

Anyway, the reason I've posted in this thread is due to the problems created by the SMF forum code not having a image upload provision. Obviously you can post an image in an attachment, but that's really not a clever solution, especially when they are only visible to members after signing in.

As your new Admin has already stated, even though the SMF code has been altered and upgraded for many years no one has been able to create an easily workable solution. After looking at the code I could see the problem, it's a monster of a code structure with no easy solution. So I decided to created my own solution without the need to venture into the SMF code, other than building in a small link.

Also, there is no need to use external sites like PhotoShack, Facebook, or any other image hosting sites. It's all kept in house.

Now all I need is a few testers to give some feedback. I've setup a temporary SMF forum to test everything and I'll leave it up for a few days and then remove it completely. There is no need to register, as I'll create a demo membership with name "Demo" and password "thinkfish". That will be done in a few minutes.

You can upload any size image, as long as it's a JPG, or JPEG, and the resizing and compression is automatically processed during the upload. If a demo user is already on the site and you can't wait, you can register if you want but don't use real life data. Use a password of 123, or something.

Anyway, the temp SMF site is here. Give it a go, but don't forget JPG or JPEG files only. Try a really big image, although it might take a few seconds longer to process.

http://www.cfirst.org/smf

Regards
Nat

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
Thanks Nat, looks like a workable solution for folks with big file sizes who are struggling to resize.  :cheers:

Offline Nat

• Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 10:01:29 PM »
Hi Robert,

I did email you yesterday with a bit more info and different member login details for you to test it out. Actually there is nothing in the code to break, as the code is completely separate to any smf file. There is only a simple link to add into the Post Template file with nothing removed or altered.

If your UNIX server has either GD, GD2, or ImageMagik in the PHP library it would work for this site too. :)

Nat

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
Hey Nat!

I did get your email and I did reply :)

Check your spam folders! :)

Offline Nat

• Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
You're not sending SPAM are you ? :yikes:

I've checked my email filters and the main email server filters. Nothing stuck in the pipes.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Adding images"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
by jowjow1976
0 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 03:58:11 PM
by Robert
8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
by Mogwai
6 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:18:36 PM
by Diz1
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
by bferg4
7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 04:22:32 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 02:45:48 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: