Adding Images

Author Topic: Adding images  (Read 25876 times) 29 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Adding images
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Can someone please tell me how I can insert an image into a post? I've searched and read through several posts on this topic, but am none the wiser. Perhaps an explanation by one of the moderators would be useful as there seems to be no instructions on this. It's no use telling me to post my image on YouTube/Google/Facebook or similar as I do not have, and do not want, anything to do with any of those ....

Offline Resa

Re: Adding images
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
Gosh....I thought I was the only person on the planet not to have a facebook account :o I also choose not to have anything to do with any of the social media sites.
I haven't tried inserting a pic in to a post for AGES, s'ppose I should have a go sometime....I can't remember how I did it now. ???

Maybe, instructions on how to do it should be one of the F&Q's? Or even, a thread on how to put images up...either in to a post, on to the gallery or Facebook etc?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
Hi All

When you hit 'Reply' there's a link below with a + sign and the words "Attachments and other options" If you hit that, it'll open and show more options.

Within those are the words Attach: with a button saying 'Choose File'

By hitting that button a window will open which will allow you to browse your computer for an image or a video.

Once you've selected and attached them from that window you'll see them in the Attach: part of the page below the text box that you are typing in. You then hit, post or preview as you would if you made a post otherwise.

Here's one I've just added...

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »

Maybe, instructions on how to do it should be one of the F&Q's? Or even, a thread on how to put images up...either in to a post, on to the gallery or Facebook etc?

Hi Resa  :wave: I'll try and write this up soon or steal one from elsewhere  :o

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Does this mean that we can't insert images in the text, but only as attachments?

What's the function of the "Insert image" icon?

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
Does this mean that we can't insert images in the text, but only as attachments?

What's the function of the "Insert image" icon?

Oops! Sorry Richard I misunderstood.

The image icon inserts the img bb code tags, you then paste the link to the image in between the two tags.

So, http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/tropical-fish-images/hoplosternum-01.jpg

Would sit inside the opening [ img ] enclosed in square brackets and the closing [ /img ] tag 

The downside to this approach is that huge images might render a little oddly and some remote websites block you referencing their pictures like this.

Does that help?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
So that means that to insert an image like this, it has to already be on another website rather than just on my computer?

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »
So that means that to insert an image like this, it has to already be on another website rather than just on my computer?

I believe so, lots of people use places like flickr, img shack, photobucket, instagram and the like to host images and then reference them in the way we discussed above.

I don't think there's an easy work around but I'll have a think on it and see if there is something that can be done. There might be a custom modification that will act as a work around. :)

The thread below discusses the very same issue...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=296499.0

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
Just to add that if you use the attachments thingy under the reply box, you are limited to what size picture you can add. I always have to resize my photos using this method, even when adding just one.

The other way, which puts the pic in the text rather than underneath, is to use a photo hosting website such as photobucket. Or would these fall into the same category as you tube/google/facebook?

And I am another person who does not use facebook . There are a few of us around.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
And I am another person who does not use facebook . There are a few of us around.

Me too. I keep looking round for an antisocial media site, but no luck so far.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

Me too. I keep looking round for an antisocial media site, but no luck so far.
[/quote]

Tee-hee  :)) Now THAT sounds like my sort of site :))

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
I'm liking the extra little chappie things! I was going to ask for some more, but I thought that maybe that would seem to be a little trivial.
However, it's extremely lucky that we have the little angry man, it's just what I needed....as you can see, Steve, I still can't do the bloody quote-y thing :-[

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
Oops....then I went and forgot him.... >:(

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »
Hi all, on the topic of adding images, I often use a bridge camera, so pics I take are always too large to copy over, even when opened and saved in paint.

So I found out today you can ....

1 - open the picture on your computer (full screen size)
2 - press the print screen button on your keyboard
3 - open paint and press ctrl v (paste)
4 - crop to get rid of the border
5 - save image
6 - the new image should be small enough to attach

hope this helps :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »
Errrrr, Daniel,

....you couldn't post a picture of your keyboard with a big arrow pointing to the 'print screen' button could you, please?

I've only had one coffee today so I'm a bit slow, and I haven't got my glasses on, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding the button in question. :-[ :-[

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
I have a laptop rather than a proper keyboard, but on mine in the top row the third button in from the right is labelled PrntScrn. Is this the button in question?

The bit that has me puzzled is
3 - open paint and press ctrl v (paste)
How do you open paint?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »
mmmm.... top row, third in from the right is 'End' on my lap top - I haven't ever pressed that, it sounds too final for me!

I get to 'Paint' (Windows 7) by pressing the start icon (bottom left), clicking on 'all programs' at the bottom of the window, clicking the 'accessories' folder and 'paint' is in there.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
ooo - I've found the 'print screen'. It's a secondary feature of the 'insert' button labelled in very small blue type face. How am I meant to see that with only one coffee inside me?

Now to play......

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »
....and the result is......

Offline ColinB

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
.....yippeeeee. Have a virtual beer on me, Daniel :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Adding images"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
by jowjow1976
0 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 03:58:11 PM
by Robert
8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
by Mogwai
6 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:18:36 PM
by Diz1
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
by bferg4
7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 04:22:32 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 02:45:48 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: