Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
What would you do?
« on: March 17, 2023, 05:42:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I’m at a crossroads with my tank I think… it’s not exactly been neglected as the tank/inhabitants are enjoyed, water changes and maintenance done etc. but I’ve also not had time to do much with the scape - it’s become a little disorganised I would say. Lots of anubias has grown very well and sort of taken over in many places, there are also a few crypts that have done particularly well and grown so large they are out of place in the scape overall. All of that is fixable though… what’s more significant is that the wood is starting to rot and I’ll need to remove/replace it. The stones also need a bit of a deep clean… SO… this presents the opportunity for a rescape of some kind.

I’ve posted a picture (not a particularly good one sorry) of the tank. You can see the overgrown Anubis on the LHS of the scape and crypts in the back centre in particular which is ruining what should be a triangular shape scape. I’m also realising looking at the photo that you can’t see much of the wood  :rotfl: I’m personally not sure about the crypt balansae (tall thin one) any more - not because of the leaf it’s shed in the photo but generally I just don’t think I like it in the scape. I’m also not sure I like the dwarf sag (grass-like plant) in the sand on the LHS too…

(You may also notice the dwindling numbers of fish which I have posted about elsewhere due to old age - I’m planning to restock the tank a bit in about 3 months time so want to get the scape sorted before then)

I thought it might be nice to get some ideas from members - happy to get any thing from ‘radical make over’ to ‘just tweak it in this way’ thoughts, to help me get straight on what to do.

Hence the question, what would you do?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 09:54:47 AM »
I'm not much help I'm afraid. My tanks aren't exactly planned, they sort of evolve and then I think "that plant would be better over there but I don't think I dare move it now as it'll have a big root system" or "if I'd realised just how many runners that plant sends out I'd never have bought it".
My tanks are fine for the fish but not much to look at  :(

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 06:48:40 PM »
I love your aquascapes and plant-keeping skills. Re all that you mention disliking, esp overgrown plants - I'm envious as I've never experienced anubias or crypts or grass-like plants to survive beyond a week, and consequently would consider it sacrilege not to keep them.

If it were me, I'd keep the plants (+/- some light trimming if desired) +/- more if desired, and add more wood as you describe, plus:
* put a black backing on the tank (fish wallpaper or painted) which I think really enhance the fishes' colours; [I had black previously, then switched to blue - but much preferred and miss the black];
* use a black substrate; [my fish seemed to become a lot more relaxed and displaying more natural behaviour with the darker substrate, especially when the lights are on, presumably due to the reduced glare in comparison with a pale substrate which the lights reflect off];
* add some catappa/jackfruit leaves - fish and invertebrates will appreciate this, and adds to the more natural environment.
The former is probably human preference and nicely disguises any cables (although the fish might also feel less exposed); the latter two are a combination of human preference and fish preference.

Looking forward to reading others' views, and ultimately updates on whatever you decide to do.
 :fishy1:

Edited to add afterthought:
Nerite snails, and possibly shrimp, might prevent wood from rotting. I'd recommend these as great for variation of activity in the tank. However, I'd only do so if you have a QT to move sick fish into for treatment (as most medications are contra-indicated for invertebrates) and if you can cope with finding a mutilated fish corpse (shrimp tend to pounce on and eat dying/dead fish - fortunately nerite snails don't).

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: