Author Topic: Swolen celestial pearl danio!  (Read 10053 times) 17 replies

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
  • Blue Rams - Never Again...
Swolen celestial pearl danio!
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:08:30 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,
Just noticed that one of my CPD's is massively swolen all over. Seems to be thicker with eyes that are buldging. my other two CPD's look to be fine.

The sick one is swimming at the front of the tank out in the open while the other two are hiding in the plants like they normally do...

The swelling isn't on the belly, but it seems to be wider, its eyes are puffing out and under his mouth is very swolen, no obvious redness.

I recently (2 days ago) did a 20% water change with a new 1:2 RO water mix (1 part RO, 2 part tap) as I am trying to switch to using an RO-Tapwater mix. Could this be a cause?

Other fish in the tank seem to be fine and acting normally....

Thanks for any help, I feel this fish is not long for this world...

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
Re: Swolen celestial pearl danio!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »
Upon close inspection it looks like all of its scales are 'up' and away from the surface of its body?
Its spine area seems to be swollen too... I cannot find any pictures like it online... 

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:23:25 AM »
The only thing that looks close is pop-eye... but that doesn't explain the bloated body...

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »
Looks like dropsy, but i have no idea how I am going to save these fish. It's midnight so the earliest I can get to a fish shop is tomorrow....

The bloated fish is still bloated but swimming undercover now, and now a second CPD is acting strangely and hovering just under the surface, under some water lettuce. He doesnt seem to have any symptoms other than strange behavior. My third CPD is a juvenile, I'm hoping it will survive.

Any advice on what to get to attempt to treat this? or is it just too late. What can I do to limit any kind of spread?

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
Barney, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at this stage it's unlike that the fish can be saved. I had a fish with dropsy and despite isolating and using a combination of medication and aquarium salt I think I just extended its suffering.

As dropsy can be linked to poor water quality I'd check your parameters and do a larger than normal water change in your tank.

Really sorry,
Cod

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
I'm afraid Cod's probably right.

By the time the fish is showing symptoms like the ones you describe its often too late to save it.

Here's a useful article about Dropsy.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/p/Dropsy.htm

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
Agree with the other posts ie most likely dropsy. One of my pygmy cories also had bulging eyes recently as you describe (and possibly dropsy). I'm not one to ever give up on a fish, though, as I've had a few completely unexpected 'turnarounds', so I'd advise that there's no harm in quarantining the fish and trying something like eSHa 2000 - if you have a spare tank or tub and filter that you could put the fish in. I also notice that sometimes, if one fish is ill or dies, the others can behave a little unsettled so that might (or might not) account for the other CPD's behaviour.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »
Hello again,
This morning the one CPD that was acting strangely seems perfectly normal. Maybe it was just sleeping or something? (lol)

The puffed up one actually looks slightly less swollen and its eyes do not appear puffed out anymore. It's spine area is still slightly swollen and it is 'wider' than normal but it is less extreme than last night. Maybe this is a miracle turn around? or just a temporary reduction in symptoms?

I am pretty convinced that it is in reaction to the change of using some RO water as it was so soon after, although I will keep an eye out for anything else that may suggest otherwise.

I will do a 40% water change with standard tap water and check water params.

I will try to setup a hosptial tank with some salt in it and work on getting that med. Hopefully this will save the fish.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
One thing I've learned is that you never quite can predict what's going to happen next, so do keep an eye on the situation for all of the fish.

With salt, before using it, I'd double check that it's ok for CPDs - I had lots of success with it for goldfish but I've since learned that some tropical fish don't tolerate salt.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
The swollen fish does not seem to be getting better.
I'm worried that with such a small fish adding salt will kill it, there is very little information about this as the CPD is such a new fish...

It looks pretty advanced and I am considering euthanasia.

Please see the attached pictures and tell me what you think?

(Pine cone effect and swelling of body compared to head...)

(bad picture, but slight swelling on the spinal area.)

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
And I know this sounds terrible, but for a fish worth £4.00 i'm not sure how much money I am willing to spend on trying to keep it alive...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
If it were me I would try a salt bath for 24 hours.

Most fish with scales should be able to tolerate relatively high concentration,  but I would add the salt gradually, watching for signs of distress. I'd probably go no higher than 1 teaspoon per 5L.

It might pay to increase the temperature gradually

Things will probably change in 24 hours for better or worse.

Good luck.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
Should I be using AQ salt or epson?

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
I will have to setup a new hospital tank and go out and get the needed salt/meds, is it really worth it at this stage? most people are saying when it gets to the pinecone stage it is too late for the fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
I've never been able to save a fish that looked like that, I'm afraid. Epsom salts dips are the ones used for dropsy to try and remove some fluid form the fish's body. But without curing the underlying condition that caused the dropsy it is likely to come back.

Epsom salt dips:
1 teaspoon epsom salt per US gallon (3.75 litres) water in a tub. Leave fish in for 30 mins twice a day but remove sooner if fish becomes distressed.

And if it comes to putting the fish down:
Place the fish in a tub of tank water. Add 25 to 30 drops clove oil to a screw top bottle or jar, add cold water and shake till thoroughly mixed. Add to the tub with the fish and leave for a few hours before disposing of the body.
Clove oil is an anaesthetic which kills in overdose. The fish can wake up if removed too soon.

Clove oil smells awful, use a pair of rubber gloves.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
The fish has been dispatched with. I hope this doesn't spread to my other fish which all seem to be acting normally.

I was thinking of adding a pair of bolivian rams in the next few days but should I hold off and let the tank settle after this? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks for all the advice, maybe it will save someone else's fish if they come here.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »
I would wait a week or maybe two before getting more fish. Then if the rest are OK, go ahead.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »
Sorry about your fish Barney.

I know it's a bit late now but just to let you know I bought some eSHa 2000 yesterday and it cost £4.60.  It is only a small bottle but you douse as per the size of your tank and as I am using it in a 19 litre QT there is plenty for many more douses if needed in the future.  If you do want to get any I suggest going to an independent LFS as the chains I tried first didn't stock it.  There is always on line of course.

Anne

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Swolen celestial pearl danio! "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 07:23:42 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 04:31:53 PM
by Carol
5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 07:07:04 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:53:34 PM
by tropicalhabitat
5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 08:57:20 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 01:38:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: