Need To Get To The Bottom Of What's Going On Here

Author Topic: Need to get to the bottom of what's going on here  (Read 4681 times) 11 replies

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Need to get to the bottom of what's going on here
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Last night I put my barbs back in the main tank as I wanted to remove the red eye tetras that seem to have some nasty illness or injury going on with their heads. I've put them in the hospital tank with  a product called bacteria control. Then this morning I find my little harlequin swimming round unco ordinated in the big tank with the injury to its underside. This is now in my last available tank my little 13 litre. It looks like it is dying now. What on earth could be wrong now?

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Need to get to the bottom of what's going on here
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:25:56 AM »
It's dead

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
i am no expert but it looks like a open wound and seeing as you didnt see it last night could something have attacked it , what alse was with it in the tank.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
There's a ruby shark and a boesmani rainbow they can both be buggers. The rest are teras etc who don't really bother with anything, even the serpae tertra seems to have chilled out. What about the crazy swimming? That was what first caught my eye. It died within half an hour of getting it out the tank.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
is it possible the ruby shark has attacked it , i have a ruby shark in my tank and if its in one of its moods then it is quite happy to evict any of my fish from its territory even my snakeskin gourami,s which are alot bigger than it.the crazy swimming could of been as a result of injury or stress.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
I'm not sure if it would have. It does chase them around but normally the rasboras keep well out of it and swim around together at the top of the tank 😔.  I do kind of hope it was an injury rather than illness cause I bought these fish to help me relax but they are doing quite the opposite by dying everyday

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »
i know exactly how you feel cazzy a few week ago i was in the same situation to you i was returning home from work every day to a dead fish and i was down and fed up with it blaming it all on myself , i think i went my first 9 days of fish keeping to 9 deaths in my tank but now i am doing better and things seem to be settling in and now   i am back at the stage of enjoying fishkeeping again , i think iam a few weeks ahead of you having bought my first fish a few weeks ahead , so hopefully you will get all your problems solved soon and can start to enjoy it to.

was the barbs all healed up nicely btw ?

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »
Thank you hopefully things will get better soon. I've told myself I need to make it  a week death free before I can buy any more. I am itching to get a friend for the rainbow fish.  The barbs are much the same. I still don't know for sure what is wrong but they 'seem' ok eating and happiness wise.  I treated them with one anti fungus treatment and it didn't make any difference.  Ideally I would be using an anti bacterial dip but the red eye tetras are on their last legs with whatever they have so they have taken precedence over the barbs. I think I will have to euthanise the red eyes tomorrow. I can't really see the getting better.  :-\

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
Oh, Cazzy....I'm so sorry that you are having a miserable time of fishkeeping at the moment....but it will be only a moment out of all the lovely, relaxing times that you will eventually get with your little fishy friends.
It seems to happen that at the beginning when you are trying to get a settled, balanced tank that you can get a blip with some fish. I'm sure it probably happens to most of us, I know that I had some ups and downs in the early days. At the risk of jinxing things, my tank has been troublefree for quite a while now, so don't give up.

I'm no expert, but to me, your little fish looks like it had an injury more than an illness.....maybe a bite? Sue will have more idea though, and I'm sure, will give you invaluable advice.
Hope things start to improve, we're all rooting for you :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »
Thank you. 😊 I had a bit of a scare this evening with low oxygen in the tank but sorted it with some swift help from face book. I wonder whether oxygen has been on the low side for a while and perhaps contributing to my fishy problems.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
Oxygen will only be a problem if you don't have enough surface movement. Gas exchange takes place at the water-air interface, oxygen goes into the water and carbon dioxide (made by the fish respiring) goes out. [Before anyone with heavily planted tanks makes a comment - if you have a lot of plants, they will use carbon dioxide during the day and you may even have to add it. And plants make oxygen during the day]
If the water was still, you would be limited in the amount of fish you could have by the 1 inch of fish per 12 square inches of surface rule. But the filter does more than remove ammonia, nitrite and particles from the water; it also churns the water up. It circulates oxygen rich water from the surface to the bottom and it brings oxygen depleted water to the surface where it can absorb more. The main cause of lack of oxygen is the filter not being positioned properly. The outflow from the filter should be positioned so that the surface of the water ripples.

The harlequin does look like it was injured. I too would blame the shark. The red eyes would also be on my list of culprits if you hadn't moved them.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
Yes I think after the water change I must have put the filter back slightly lower than previously. I've since read some online instructions and lifted it much higher now.
The red eyes are not well and I have had to euthanise one today. The other is not doing a whole lot of anything so I think if it is a bite it has been the shark. I have advertised him today as he is just chasing too much for no reason. The rainbow chases a bit as well but just in short bursts as it's not as manoeuvre able as the shark.
I'm going to put some photos hoof the red eye if anyone can diagnose the disease

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Need to get to the bottom of what's going on here "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
27 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 09:15:09 PM
by Cod_only_knows
8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 09:31:22 PM
by shivyDevon
3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 05:49:08 PM
by justin
8 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 03:10:51 PM
by AdyDnt
2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
by rosaleen
2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 11:26:39 AM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 08:09:30 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: