Black Neon Tetras Sitting On Bottom Of Tank

Author Topic: Black neon tetras sitting on bottom of tank  (Read 6212 times) 7 replies

Offline Russ_Moz

• Fish Fry
Black neon tetras sitting on bottom of tank
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

I'm new to the forums and fish keeping in general and would appreciate your thoughts on this!

I've got a 60l tank which I have fishless cycled, using ammonia dosed to 3.0 ppm, the cycle finished with consistent readings over 3 days of 0 ammonia and nitrite.

I then added some zebra danios and continued testing with no issues after 2 weeks I added 6 black neon tetras as I was told these were hardy, or at least more hardy than normal tetras.

I've had these tetras now for 2 weeks and have again continued to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph changes and there have been no issues (been doing weekly maintenance and wc)

However when I got up this morning all the neons were on the bottom of the tank and appeared to have lost their black stripe, they were also gasping a little.

I did a test using a test strip which showed no nitrite or nitrate levels, but as I was in a rush I couldn't do a wc right then.

However When I checked back on the fish late morning they were fine, all happily swimming in the middle, colour seemed fine etc.

I tested properly and again 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite ph fine nitrates fine

Any ideas what could have been the problem?

I've done a wc this evening and they still seem fine

Thanks for your help

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Zebra Danio (7) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Panda Cory (8) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (6) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Dwarf Gourami (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Black neon tetras sitting on bottom of tank
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »
It is nothing to worry about. The fish were asleep; well sort of, the fish equivalent of asleep. I assume that when you found them you had just drawn the curtains or turned the room light on?

I have green neon tetras and they lose their blue stripe and go brown when they are 'asleep'; when I had dwarf pencilfish, they lost their stripes. Some fish do this colour change, and it looks as though black neons do it as well. I've also found that some species 'sleep' on the bottom of the tank and some mid water.

It is always alarming when you first start keeping fish and they do something odd. As you keep more species, you'll find they each have their own ways of making us panic  :D

Offline Russ_Moz

• Fish Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »
Lol thanks for the reply Sue

Yes it was first thing and I had just turned lights on so I guess that is what it was! At least it wasn't something serious

This fish keeping is really additive I already want a bigger tank and more fish so will get used to these things I guess

:)

Zebra Danio (7) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Panda Cory (8) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (6) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Dwarf Gourami (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum and fish keeping! These little fish really do like to panic us don't they! ? I remember first seeing my fish 'sleeping' and thinking they were all gonners. Then I had an obsession that their poo didn't look right.  Oh and don't forget my endlers little dance next to each other. 

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »
 :wave: Welcome Russ_Moz :)

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
Welcome Russ_Moz  :wave: The first six months of fish keeping is a very steep learning curve..... and it's places like ThinkFish that will get you through it..... and you, too, will get obsessed with fish poo!

Why don't you zip on over to the New Member's area here and introduce yourself?

Oooo - look - new smiley things to play with.....  :fishy1:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Russ_Moz

• Fish Fry
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
Hey guys

Thanks for all your help and advice  :D

I haven't got to the "poo" stage yet but it sounds like I will lol

I've got to say the advice on this site is great and has really helped me with the initial start up!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »
Glad to hear we were of help to you  :)

Starting fish keeping is a huge learning curve. I remember the first time I saw a shrimp's moulted skin, lying there looking for all the world like a dead shrimp. I usually warn people now when they talk about getting shrimp  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Black neon tetras sitting on bottom of tank "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Black Neon Tetra

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
by water watcher
11 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 05:12:51 PM
by notungz
8 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 03:10:51 PM
by AdyDnt
10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 07:03:39 PM
by fcmf
22 Replies
Last post July 05, 2018, 10:02:45 AM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:50:18 AM
by CardinalTetraphilia
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2022, 09:15:53 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: