Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 3093 times) 5 replies

Offline cavorite

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Introducing myself
« on: December 03, 2019, 05:33:25 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone.

I joined this site ages ago but did not have enough time to participate (work and all that).
I am now living in Melbourne Australia (42 years since leaving England) , and I though it was about time I got back into fish keeping.
At the moment I have a small 25 Litre tank with 4 goldfish swimming around, I know this forum is about tropical fish but bare with me. I will eventually go back to Tropical,s. Because I have a small tank I will stock it with a school of neon tetras or zebras, I like zebras because they are constantly on the move and neon's because they glow.
Anyway Ta Ta for now and enjoy your fish tanks.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your tanks grow over time - good to have you here!  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi, welcome to the forum  :wave:

I'm afraid fishtales is right about the tank. Member fcmf is our goldfish expert, she'll be able to help with them next time she logs in.

If it is a long time since you kept fish, you will find things have changed a lot. Our understanding of fish needs has developed and we now know they need much bigger tanks than we used to think. We now know of ways to set up a tank without harm to the fish. And we now know the importance of the water hardness when it comes to choosing fish.
25 litres is a very small tank, and is suitable only for a single betta (male or female) or shrimps. Neon tetras need a tank at least 60 cm x 30 cm. Zebra danios need a bigger tank than that - at least 100 cm long - because they are such fast swimmers.

But.....

If you could manage a bigger tank, even a 55 to 60 litre tank there would be much more choice. If you let us have some basic information such as water hardness and tank size (if you do get a bigger one) we can help you work out a sensible fish wish-list. I know that Australian laws prohibit the import and sale of some species which are easily available in other countries, but we can work round that if you like some of the prohibited species.

Please don't let what I have said discourage you. Even if you can only manage the 25litre tank, you could make that into an underwater garden with a betta or shrimps. Member Matt is our aquascaping expert and he will have plenty of suggestions along that line.

PS My betta's tank is an Aqua One, an Australian make  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
Welcome :wave:, and good to have someone from another part of the world on here :cheers:

Do you know what type of goldfish you have - are they common or comet goldfish or fancy ones like fantail goldfish? If you're not sure, post a photo of them, and I can help. Generally, common or comet goldfish are best kept in ponds although can be kept in very large tanks - for 4, you would need a tank of over 300 litres, though. Fancy goldfish are best kept in tanks but again, very large ones and even a 240 litre one would be a bit on the small side. This is a good site to get some information from http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/ (there are several articles on goldfish if you go to it via the homepage e.g. http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/) but, having kept goldfish myself for many years (and miss keeping them), I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
Welcome @cavorite  :wave:

Great to have you on board and from the other side of the globe!

As others have said, 25 litres is a small tank but, hey, we all have to start somewhere. I have a couple of tanks that are only 18 litres. One is home to cherry shrimps, the other to Celestial Pearl Danios (CPDs). I suggest that you take a look at a web site called Seriously Fish. The following link will take you to their CPD page. It's one of the best sites on the web and will give you plenty of inspiration. Here's the link:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
Hello @cavorite and welcome to the forum  :wave:

It's great to have someone from Australia. I look forward to finding out if there is any difference in the fish that you have access to in your fish stores, and following your progress.  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Introducing myself"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 02:17:01 AM
by brian c
8 Replies
Last post December 23, 2014, 08:43:42 PM
by fcmf
22 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 02:01:20 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 04:54:14 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: