Author Topic: Hello...From Mike.  (Read 6501 times) 29 replies

Offline Dangerzone1976

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Hello...From Mike.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

Went to Waterworld today... Fish shopping.

Noticed a Siamese Fighting fish with Guppies and no issues, the guy in shop stated it does depend on the fish.

I ended up getting 3 Male Guppies and the Siamese. Siamese at top end for my water, so far so good.

I'll add a few more in a couple of week.

Another 3 Guppies or 5 Emerald Rasboras,
Not too sure yet.

Done all my testing previous and came back spot on

😁

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
Siamese fighting fish - now called bettas to stop people using them for fighting - are not community fish. They are much better kept in a tank by themselves.
And I would ignore anything said by someone who works in a fish shop, they usually make up any rubbish to get a sale.

Watch the tank carefully while the betta is in there. He could snap one day and go on a killing spree. This is quite common. Or the other fish could decide to pick on him.

Personally I would get a tank of around 25 litres and move the betta into that once it is cycled or heavily planted. I have always kept my bettas in this sized tank with just a snail for company. At the very least, have a fry net and something to cover it in the cupboard which you can use to separate the betta should things start to go wrong. This will give you breathing space while you sort out a permanent solution.

Offline Dangerzone1976

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
Hi,

The Siamese has been good so far, just does his own thing.

One of the Guppies is a little aggressive, he sometimes goes after the other two if they come near him or when he goes near them.

Offline Dangerzone1976

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
Hello...

Just an update, tank going well, ive added 3 more Male guppies and 4 Bronze corys.

Guppies have settled a bit now.

Thanks Mike.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
Glad to hear it  :D

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
Thanks for the update - good to hear that everyone has settled, and are getting along.  :)

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 07:10:37 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
The small debate going on here with the Betta fish. Also known as Siamese fighting fish. It may well attack other fish in the tank, especially the Guppy’s as they have large colourful tails, which he may see as a threatening or displaying gesture. Equally the Siamese fish has long flowing fins which the other fish in the tank, may find to tempting to nibble on. This could cause distress and possible infection to the siamese fish. Please keep a close watch out for this happening, as we are all responsible for the fish, we keep in our tanks. I dont mean to put such a downer on things, and wish you well and many hours of happy fish keeping.
      :fishy1:

Offline Dangerzone1976

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
Hi,

One of the guppies I got two weeks ago was not active or even swimming, basically hiding away on the slate for a couple of hours and in cover, the other guppies were going towards it but still no movement.

I moved the guppy out of the tank into in plastic container with the water from the tank just to monitor, for about 15 minutes but still no movement.

I placed it back in the tank but wasn't swimming and just going on it's side, I took it back out of the tank and let it R.I.P.

The other fish are fine, can't see any issues and very active aswell.

Thanks Mike.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
Sorry to hear this  :(

We normally advice doing a few water tests in such a scenario just to check water conditions but very often this can be "one of those things" as well. Fish are masters at looking well until it is too late - it is a defence mechanism.

Offline Dangerzone1976

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
Hi all,

Update on fish. Well...I only have two guppys now and they are the ones I have had from the start.The three guppys I got later on fire within weeks after each other and one of the other ones died later on.

The good news was that the bronze cory later eggs and I managed to keep three of them. I now have seventy these and I still have the siamese fighter.

With note to the guppys there were bullying each other.

Thanks. Mike.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: