Author Topic: Hello again  (Read 3345 times) 10 replies

Offline AndyCbr

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Hello again
« on: February 03, 2019, 07:53:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all,

I was an active member of thinkfish maybe 8 - 10 years ago but due to work, life, etc, etc I started to spend less and less time on the hobby.

I'm a biker who has now sold his bike. I enjoy playing Guitar, building models and visiting zoos. I'm married and we have 2 cats.

Back in the day my wife and I had 3 tropical tanks:
-Juwel Trigon 190 (as an amazon biotope)
-Juwel Vision 180 (general community tank)
-60L hospital/quarantine tank

Now we're down to only having the vision 180 left and the only fish is a Plec. It isn't ideal having a Plec in a tank that size, we were sold a young Bristlenose (quite rare to find in Liverpool at that time) which turned out to be a common plec. He's about 30cm and has stopped growing (thank god).

we've just redecorated the tank and we're looking forward to restocking the tank back to its former glory. Maybe Rams would be a good choice.

Well, thats me.
Andy

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Hello again
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »
Hi Andy, and welcome back.  :wave:

I've only been on the forum for around 3 years, but I'm sure that you'll see some familiar names from the last time that you were here.

I'd love to see a picture of your plec, if possible. I'm also looking forward to hearing about your redecorated tank and fish plans.  :)

Offline AndyCbr

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:40:06 PM »
Hi,

I've been trying to attach a photo but it doesn't seem to want accept the post so i've put some pics on my original post.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
Great to see your plec, it's a lovely looking fish.  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »
Welcome back @AndyCbr  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »
Great to "meet" you and your plec, and welcome back to the forum @AndyCbr . :wave:   I'm only aware of @Sue being a member when you were here in the past but there may be others, and some longstanding members do dip in and out from time to time.

Looking forward to reading how your tank progresses as you restock it but feel free to fire away with any thoughts/plans in the interim.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »
Hi Andy.

I have been trying to remember your user name, though it may well have changed since you were last on Thinkfish. The site changed hosts in 2012 and we all had to re-register on the new forum.

Some things have changed since 8 to 10 years ago - for example, we will now ask you how hard your water is  :)

Offline AndyCbr

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:29:35 PM »
Thanks Sue,

I remember the site looking a lot different so I guess I was a member on the old site. I seem to remember that a guy called Dan was one of the main guys/moderators when I was frequenting the forum.

The plan at the moment (but not a done deal) is:
-Plec
-Rams (maybe 2)
-Rummy Nose (8ish)
-Cardinals (8ish)
-Corys (6ish) - I had some decent success in the past with both Panda and Sterbai

I've never had any success with plants so not planing on planting any yet, maybe when the fish are in place and settled.

Community creator doesn't think much of the plan, mainly due to the fact that the Plec is in the tank but the tank thrived in the past with similar fish and stocking levels in it.

I'd be interested if anyone else had any suggestions.

Thanks again,
Andy

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
Dan's title was 'advisor', and he left after the previous owner allowed a member who worked for API to use the company logo as her avatar. He wasn't at all happy with that. Then several new people joined who had problems, and there was no advisor or moderator to help so that's when I started trying to help. The previous owner was a fish expert, but he sold the site to the current owner who admits he knows nothing about fish which is how I ended up as a moderator.

The fish list looks fine - provided you have soft water. The community creator, like all programs, is dependant on how the program is written. With something like fish combinations it is impossible to cover everything. The main danger would be due to the sheer size of the plec. There is the possibility of it harming smaller fish by crushing them by accident.
Your plec looks most like Pterygoplichthys pardalis https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=88 though I freely admit that I'm not an expert on plecs. The problem is they need huge tanks, at least 6 feet long. A Vision 180 is not big enough  :(

Offline AndyCbr

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
Hi Sue,

Ah, I think that must have happened after my time. The other name that springs to mind is Majid.

Yes, the Plec in the 180 is the problem. I was livid when it grew past what a Bristlenose should be. It was either an incompetent breeder/aquarium or a less than honest breeder/aquarium that was passing off young Plecs as young Bristlenoses (I suspect the later). I know it isn't ideal (far from it) but at least he does exhibit the classic behaviours of a Plec and does tend to get around the whole tank in his quest for algae. I'm just glad he stopped growing when he did.

We tend to have soft to medium water in Liverpool and Amazon fish tend to do well.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi Andy,

Good to see you back!

A retired biker huh? I had a Rocket up until recently, needed a new bathroom so alas, sold to the highest bidder it was  :(

The previous owner was a fish expert, but he sold the site to the current owner who admits he knows nothing about fish which is how I ended up as a moderator.

I do know that they look super pretty and may have even learnt a thing or two since perusing, I am of course passionate about keeping this all going and keeping it up with the times. Sue and other mods are of course excellent custodians and are all super helpful to the people who use the resource, a fact I'm sure we are all grateful for  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: