Apache's Catfish Community Thread.

Author Topic: Apache's Catfish Community thread.  (Read 31293 times) 192 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Apache's Breeding tank: progress and updates
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Tank first.
Stingray filters don't have very good media. They have a sponge, which is fine, but they also have carbon/zeolite cartridges, which are not. Do you have a manual for the filter? If you haven't, click here
Fish-in cycles are hard work. Are you prepared to do a water change every day? The easy way round it depends on your father. This will also fix the filter's shortcomings as well.
Does the main tank have sponges in the filter? If you would be allowed to, the simplest thing to do is cut some sponge from the main tank to the size and shape of the stingray's cartridges - and buy a new sponge to go in the main tank. Or take some ceramic media from the main tank if it has that, break open the cartridges, throw away what's inside and put the ceramic media inside instead.
Set the new tank up, get the water to the right temp, then sort out the media. Keep the mature media damp, don't let it dry out. Once it is in the new tank, move the endlers over. Test for ammonia and nitrite every day, and do a water change if you see a reading above zero for either of them. If you do get readings it shouldn't last long with mature media.

If you can't use any of the main tank's filter I would still replace the cartridges with new sponge. If the cartridges have been used by the last owner, they would need replacing anyway. But the best would be if your Dad would keep the endlers in his tank while you do a fishless cycle.

If that's not allowed and you have to do a fish-in cycle, you will need to test the tank every day for ammonia and nitrite. You will need to do a water change whenever the readings get near 0.25. If they go over that reading, it will harm the fish. They may not get sick right away but they will be weakened.
And it might mean doing a water change every day for a few weeks.

Fish.
The tank is fine for endlers and panda cories.
The main problem with mixing them is that pandas need cooler temperature than endlers.  Panda's need 22 - 25oC and endlers need 24 to 30. Keeping one at the top end and the other at the bottom end of their temp ranges is not good for the fish, they should really be in the middle of the range.
Pandas also prefer softer water than endlers.

If you still want to try them both, wait till the tank has been running a few months after it finishes cycling before getting the cories. Pandas are one of the more delicate species and it is better to wait until the biofilm, with all its micro-organisms, has established all over the tank tank and decor.

Panda cories need good water conditions. If you are not prepared to keep the tank clean, don't get them.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2016, 12:19:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks sue, i have put gravel underneath the sand and i am off to get some plants and a heater. will try fish in

Offline Sue

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
Oh. The gravel will work its way up through the sand and you'll end up with the sand on the bottom and the gravel on top.......

If you are going ahead with fish-in cycling, just the endlers as fish-in would probably kill pandas. Once the tank is cycled for the endlers, after a few months add the cories 2 at a time.

And don't forget to test the water every day.

Offline Sue

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
And I've just noticed your signature. Otos are not suitable for a tank that size. They need to be in a group of at least 6 and a small tank just can't grow enough algae to feed that many.

If you want algae eaters once the tank has grown algae your best bet is nerite snails. The female endlers would probably eat baby shrimps, so best not to get them.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
thanks sue... not got the pandas or otto's yet... will see if i can remove the gravel

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »
Wait a few months before getting 6 pandas, 2 at a time, and don't get any otos at all.

The reason I say get 2 pandas at a time is that the tank will only be cycled for the amount of ammonia made by 3 endlers. The guideline is to add no more than a third of the fish already in the tank so that the bacteria will be able to multiply quickly enough to cope with a third more ammonia. If too many fish are added in one go - and that's too many compared with what's already there - ammonia will spike, then nitrite, and do the cories no good at all.
The way to add fish after a fish-in cycle, is one third of the fish already in the tank, test for ammonia and nitrite every day, do water changes whenever you see a reading above zero, then get more fish when you've had 7 days in a row with zero ammonia and zero nitrite.
This is why it takes much longer to fully stock a tank with fish-in cycling compared to fishless.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »
I have found an ordinary kitchen sieve the easiest was to separate sand and gravel.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »
30 mins later....
the sand had mixed with the water and i removed ALL the sand and gravel so I put my bogwood and cory breeding glass (for use in late April/May) and added new water and sand. I currently have a EHEIM thermo control heater set to 24.5 degrees c. filter works nicely. I will keep updating as and when necessary.

Apache6467

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Re: Apache's Breeding tank: progress and updates: tank set up
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
The fish-in cycle will begin soon... I will be using my two 'spare' kribensis females instead of the endlers to set up the cycle.

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
If you don't have to move the endlers in right away, why not do a fishless cycle?

It doesn't matter which fish go through a fish-in cycle, it is not good for any fish.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »
Really a fish-in cycle shouldn't be the method of choice but only used where its unavoidable.

It's stressful and harmful for the fish because of exposure to ammonia and nitrite and due to the constant water changes.

It's far more sensible and ethical to fishless cycle.
It's not uncommon for fish to die as a result of fish-in cycling, this is something I, regretfully, have 1st hand experience of.

I ended up doing a fish-in cycle before I'd learned about the fishless method, and after being given poor advice at the LFS.

I would never do it again and would strongly recommend anyone to avoid it at all costs.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »
Is there any chance you can leave your fish in the main tank?
It really would be much better to do a fishless cycle. It would be very stressful for the fish to be moved into an un-cycled tank, then if they started looking ill, or if anything went wrong with your cycle, you'd end up moving them again, which would stress them further.
It really is far safer to do a fishless cycle.
Please consider this very seriously.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
I shall try a fishless, the enderlers are in a plastic fry tank... Don't know if I will have the time and I don't have the money (£30!) For  a testing kit

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
You can't do a fish-in cycle without a testing kit - how will you know when you need to change the water? And you can't do a fishless cycle without one either - how will you know when to add the next dose of ammonia?

What do you mean the endlers are in a plastic fry tank? A small tank or one of those tiny things that float in the main tank? If it's the first, they will be getting poisoned by their own waste; if it's the second those are far too small for even one fish for more than a day. If you can't find a better home for them, see if the shop will take them back until their tank is ready. Or release them into the big tank for now.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »
As you only need to test for Ammonia and Nitrite when cycling you don't need to spend £30 on a whole kit of 6 or 7 different tests. You could spend just over half that on only the tests you require.

Ammonia Test kit - £7.97 + free delivery

Nitrite Test Kit - £8.34 + free delivery

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
Thanks Simon, where can I get cheap ammonia from for fishless cycle?

Offline Sue

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »
It is difficult to get ammonia from real shops these days as it can be used in certain illegal activities. I know you aren't old enough to have an Amazon or Ebay account, but if your parents do, could they order some from one of those for you?

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2016, 05:32:03 PM »
Well this aquarium is for me to pay myself by doing jobs... Would some media from the fluval from the main tank substitute for a fishless cycle?

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2016, 05:45:31 PM »
Homebase sell their own household ammonia. 9.5% ammonia with no detergent or surfactant. £2.50 for a 500ml bottle. If you need to ask parents or friends to drive you to a Homebase it's better to get the store phone number. They will check the shelves and reserve you a bottle if they have it. This is what I did for my ammonia

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
Thanks will see what I can do.. But I don't have long to cycle... Any ideas?

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Apache's Catfish Community thread."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 10:57:03 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
45 Replies
Last post November 18, 2017, 05:21:30 PM
by apache6467
13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 10:11:47 PM
by apache6467
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:17:13 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: