Author Topic: Online fish suppliers  (Read 6338 times) 13 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Online fish suppliers
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:41:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I'm new to fish keeping and I am currently cycling my aquanano 40 before adding any fish.
On the advice of one of the forum members, I would like to keep some endlers. I live an area where the choices for fish stockists are very limited. One option is a well known pet retailer whose staff tried to convince me that the fish weren't ill, but merely stressed (this despite the fact that some were clearly dead!) the other stockist is reputable and their fish look (to my inexperienced eye) healthy and lively. However, this stockist doesn't supply endlers.
So, I was wondering if anyone has experience of buying fish online. Is this a good idea or not? Also, how many endlers could I keep in my aquanano 40?

Thanks in advance for any advice!  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Online fish suppliers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
It is possible to buy fish on line, the problem is often the cost of the postage which can be more than the fish themselves. Would the better shop order fish in for you?

I've just looked through your previous posts and see that you said you don't have any trouble with your kettle etc furring up. That means you have soft water so endlers aren't the best choice as they prefer hard water. There is a much bigger choice of fish for soft water.

For 55 litres, but a tank length of 40cm:
Ember tetras which get much more colourful when they've settled in
Fish in the genus Boraras
Celestial pearl danios also called galaxy rasboras
Larger, non-shoaling fish:
Honey gourami would be OK, but I wouldn't get any larger gouramis than this species. A pair would work.

If you could confirm your water hardness it would be easier. It should be on your water supplier's website. Some of them do make it hard to find though. Mine puts it under the tab "in your area" along with roadworks etc!

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your swift reply.
I've checked the water supply in my area and it's definately soft.
The better stockist did have both honey gouramis and ember tetras – not sure about the others you mentioned.
I like the sound of both of these, but would only want 1 male gourami. Is that Ok, or would it be cruel? I also fancied a few of the small cory catfish and some shrimps but would that be overstocking the aquarium?

Sorry to be so uninformed, but I really want to do well by any fish that I do keep and I don't want to cause them any stress or injury.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »
there is a person on ebay that sells a lot of fish online , he has a few negative comments but when you look at the amount of  positive comments its understandable that one or two negatives will appear , i have used him for non live stock and have had one live stock order of him so far but i am planning another order this weekend.
his orders are sent over night on a pre organised date with yourself (except saturdays and wednesdays if i remember correctly ), my fish arrived fine ( 2 clown loaches ) they was well packed and had a heat pack with them as was cold on day of shipping but it is as  sue said a little expensive on the postage he charges i think £7,99 for shrimp orders or £15 pounds for fish orders but its only one charge for as many fish , obviously the temptation is to order a lot of fish in one go to save yourself money but this is not a good thing as i am sure other will point out , you need to add fish in stages to your tank as to not over load the good bacteria so remember to only order a few at time thats why if possible shops can be a lot cheaper as the £15 pounds add very quickly and also the one other disadvantage to online orders is you cant see what your buying.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »
Diz did say in another thread that he/she was doing a fishless cycle, so it should be OK to buy up to, say, three quarters of the final stocking at one go once it has finished. But unless a fishless cycle has been completed, the tank should indeed only be stocked slowly.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
That's right, I do want to do a fishless cycle first – don't think I could handle the guilt if something went wrong with a fish-in cycle. Even then, I think I'll be very cautious about adding fish – probably go for just a few at a time.

Good to know about your ebay supplier Chris. As I said, there's not an awful lot of choice where I live and when I asked the 'better' stockist about getting hold of fish that weren't currently stocked I just got a blank look and certainly no offers to order them in for me.

Thanks

Diz (she)  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
I keep Cherry Barbs (6), Five-band Barbs (9), Lemon Tetras (6) and Diamond Neon Tetras (7) in my AquaNano40 and all's peaceful and healthy. The Community Creator on ThinkFish says this is 100% stocked when the 'oversized external' filter option is chosen.

The tank is 2½ years old, heavily planted with quick-growing plants and has a lot more biological media added to it (this stuff: Biohome Ultimate). I also have Scindapsus cuttings growing in the pump compartment which put down a great tangle of roots and grow like buggery (technical term). This way I get a lot of nitrates removed as Thames Water kindly supply me with ~40ppm. I use a 50:50 mix of rain water:tap water to bring the hardness down to 8ºGH and the Nitrates down to 20ppm.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »
Some more really good suggestions. I'm going to be spoiled for choice once I do start stocking the tank. By the way, I've rearranged the covers so that the corner hole is at the back, with the small piece of glass at the front because I'd heard of people losing their fish through them jumping out of the tank, but there are still gaps at each side. Is it likely that fish might wriggle through these!

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
I've done that too, and so has Colin, I think. ?
No I don't think that's likely, it's jumping through a big hole that's a problem, oh and the snails I Just bought are too big to escape now too.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
Some more really good suggestions. I'm going to be spoiled for choice once I do start stocking the tank. By the way, I've rearranged the covers so that the corner hole is at the back, with the small piece of glass at the front because I'd heard of people losing their fish through them jumping out of the tank, but there are still gaps at each side. Is it likely that fish might wriggle through these!

That's how I have my covers and three fish have managed to jump out. Fortunately I was there (and Fogarty the Cat wasn't) when two of them did it and scooped them back in. However; one of my male Cherry Barbs made the great leap into the unknown when I wasn't around..... and paid heavily for his exuberance  :'(

They were young, fit and thin when they did this... they're now middle-aged and have had too much pizza to get through the gap, but I keep the water level about an inch down now just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: same-time post, and it is a possibility, I'm afraid.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
We'll the tank is in my office and I do work from home, so hopefully I'd be there if I did have a problem. I'll just have to give each new fish a stern talking to when I introduce it to the tank! :)

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »
Really!? It's a very tiny gap, oh well.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:14 PM »
Really!? It's a very tiny gap, oh well.

'Fraid so. It's a sort of jump and wriggle, but I'm not sure if I'd left too big a gap at the front. I sort of slid everything forward after that to reduce the gap at the front. Then centered the clips at each side so one of those gaps wasn't bigger than the other.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
We'll the tank is in my office and I do work from home, so hopefully I'd be there if I did have a problem. I'll just have to give each new fish a stern talking to when I introduce it to the tank! :)

Good plan. Also best if you have a naughty-step they can have time-out on. :))

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Online fish suppliers"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
11 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 01:18:29 AM
by AndreaC
2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 07:42:32 AM
by chris213
8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 02:34:55 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 12:39:59 PM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2019, 12:49:58 PM
by Kwhite

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: