Morning Everyone

Author Topic: Morning everyone  (Read 2798 times) 6 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Morning everyone
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Back from my holiday and have arranged to take delivery of my new Juwel Rio 180 early to mid next week. I'm really looking forward to it!

Originally, I'd planned to do a fishless cycle with this, but recent developments have complicated matters (in a good way I hope). A friend of a friend is moving house and running down his current tank prior to dismantling everything and setting up again at some point in the future. He has offered to give me the old mature filter medium (lives only 5 mins away, so easy transfer etc.) but would like me to take 8 of his fish and rehome them in my new tank.

These are Silver Tip Tetras – all looking healthy (he's had them for about 6 months) – 3 males and 5 females (we think) who all seem to be fairly non-aggressive and haven't bothered his other fish.

So, my questions are:

1. Can I just fill up my new tank and (after running for 24 hrs to heat water and check for leaks) use all of his mature filter medium to put these fish in immediately?

2. I wouldn't put any more fish in for about a month, but had some plans as to what I was eventually going to stock:

cory cats
cardinal tetras

Will the silver tips be OK with these? Not sure about what else, but wanted to have a larger fish/fishes to set these off. I thought about gouramis, but would worry about aggression towards other fish. Does anyone have any advice on which larger fish would be Ok in this set up? I have soft water.

Thanks in advance

Diz1

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Morning everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
The silver tips will be fine with cardinals and cories. Pearl gouramis should be OK as they are less aggressive than 3 spot gouramis in their various colours. Or thick lipped gouramis if you can find any, or even banded gourami

Your proposal for the tank sounds fine. Are the silver tips the only fish in his tank? If they are then yes, wait a while before getting more fish to make sure the filter bacteria aren't affected by the move. If he has a lot more fish, you'll be able to get some more within a few days, but less that he has in his tank now to be on the safe side.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
Thanks Sue!

The only other thing in his tank are platies of both sexes and, being far too sentimental to cope with any cannibalism, I don't want to have to deal with fry, so I've said no to these and he's going to give them to someone else.
I think the tetras are a good solution because I'll be able to get my tank up and running very quickly. As far as the gouramis are concerned, my LFS has both opaline (3 spot?) and pearl gouramis, so I'll go for the pearl. I haven't seen any of the other types you mentioned, but will have a look when I'm next in the shop.

With the pearl gourami, would it be fair to keep one on its own, or should I get more? :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
Either just one pearl gourami or 1m 2f. They can be hard to sex if they are very small (ie young). Males develop an organge throat at maturity and the fins are longer than a female's and have a 'frilly' edge.

If he only has a few platies, wait a while for more fish. But if he has a dozen, you can get another shoal before the bacteria start to die back, that is within 2 or 3 days.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
Thanks again Sue.

Think I'll wait a while before adding anything else. Would 4 weeks be long enough if my water tests were Ok?
Also, should I add these fish in any particular order? I had thought cory cats, then cardinals, then gourami last – just because they're bigger. I should say that (looking way ahead into the future, not right away) I would like a couple of other species in there as well, but don't know what else yet. I like the look of the Rams, but not too sure if they'd be OK in my setup. If I did go for these (or anything else) should I still put the gourami in last if it's a pearl (probably just one, because I wouldn't want to get the wrong sex ratio) just because it's bigger, or should it go in sooner because it's shyer?  ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
Fish in the shops are youngsters with growing still to do. The usual way is to buy the small fish first so they can grow to adult size before getting the large fish. If you get the larger fish first, they'll be adults size when you add the young smaller fish, and while the larger fish won't be able to eat the smaller ones when they are fully grown, there is the possibility an adult large fish might be able to eat juvenile smaller fish, if you see what I mean.

Rams might be OK if you keep the temp on the warmer side (in this case, get sterbai cories which are just about the only cory that can cope with temps in the high 20s). Or look at bolivian rams.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »
Thanks Sue,
Will bear it all in mind as I go along with this tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Morning everyone"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2019, 04:42:00 PM
by Alison
8 Replies
Last post December 01, 2019, 12:58:48 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: