How Long Without Food

Author Topic: How long without food  (Read 15524 times) 19 replies

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
How long without food
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:52:32 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I will be going away for about 5 days shortly, and wonder how long my 5 cherry barbs can be left without food, and the lights being not put on.   There is plenty of live plant in the tank, its 35 litre.  I do have a neighbour who is willing to see to it but I don't want to bother her really.  Any advice please...

Offline Etienne

• Fishy Member
Re: How long without food
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »
I never had to leave my tank unattended for more than 2 days, so I'm a bit inexperienced, however there is plenty of advice in the article section of the website:

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/holiday-care-for-your-fish-tank

5 days seems to long to leave them with no food but You should be able to get some holiday food at your local fish store.
If your neighbour is willing to help I would prepare the daily ration in advance to avoid over feeding.

I'm sure the more senior forum members will give you some more tips.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Platy (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
Thanks Ettienne, I will definitely talk to the lfs next time I am in there, but I thought I would ask on here first as I felt sure someone would know about it.  It does seem a long time to leave tiny fish I agree, and as I said I do have a neighbour who I am sure would be willing, its just me, I don't like bothering people really.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
Hi Cinders  :)

Sue has said many times that fish are OK for up to 2 weeks without food, so I think your 5 days will be fine. I dont know whether that differs between setups but Im sure Sue will come along to confirm/contradict - go with what she says!  ;)

Dont forget that fish eat micro-thingamies in the water - they dont solely live on what you give them.

Folk on here generally do not agree with holiday blocks, as you cannot control the amount of food and you may end up with a bigger problem when you get home. There are electronic "dispensers" available, but again I dont think they're thought much of - I remember reading somewhere (not on TF I dont think) that one had "malfunctioned" and dumped the whole weeks worth of food in, in one go. Thankfully the owner had just bought it and was trying it out and so was there to immediately rectify the situation. Of course, that may have just been bad luck.

If you're worried, it is generally recommended to prepare the daily ration as Etienne suggests, maybe using one of those weekly pill containers or something - and hide your food so the friend cant give more than you've rationed! You'd be surprised how non-fishkeepers think you dont give enough food  :-\

EDIT: An afterthought - as usual  ;D
As you dont like to bother people, you could always go for a "happy medium" - Ask the friend to pop in every other day and feed them. That way, you know your fish aren't going too long without food, but your friend only needs to pop in a couple of times during the five days  :)

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
Thanks Chucklett, that sounds pretty good advice to me, and very helpful, I was also wondering about the lighting for the plants.   Similar situation I should think.  Perhaps if I get neighbour to pop in alternate days would be ok for that as well.    Many thanks, appreciate your comments.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Are your tank light on a different plug from the filter and heater? I ask because I have seen tanks where all three are wired into the same plug. If the lights are separate just buy a timer, that's what I use or I'd forget to turn them on or off. Things like this

As for feeding the fish, leaving them a week without food is not a problem, and up to 2 weeks if you have live plants as fish can eat those if they get too hungry. Holiday blocks are not a good idea as they can foul the water and you could come back to dead fish. Most of them use chalk as the matrix, and that makes an awful mess of the tank in addition to uneaten food causing ammonia spikes etc. Automatic feeders, as Chucklett says, can dump the whole lot in at once, or damp can get in and make the food sticky so none goes in.
I use the pill box containing food method as my son has to almost pass our front door on his way to work. Even then, he usually only feeds them once every two or three days.

For five days, I wouldn't bother. If you ever away more than a week, measure out one day's worth of food and ask someone to put that in the tank once a week.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
I've left my tanks for 2 weeks with no problems at all. Don't be tempted to give them a big feed just before you go as this will only end-up polluting the water. Also, don't be tempted by a large water change when you get back as this could change the conditions too much. Do a number of smaller changes to keep it all nice and gradual.

Going anywhere nice??

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
Thanks very much Sue, that is lovely.   I will get a timer for the lights, as they are separate from the filter.  I don't like the idea of automatic feeders, etc. so definitely will not go down that route, but for five days I think they will be ok.  I may get my neighbour to pop in just once, to see if alls well, but I think I can safely go off and not worry now.

Thanks ColinB, appreciate your input as well.   I am going to a part of the country I haven't been to before, which is Rutland, a place called Oakham.   Some friends have a timeshare there and asked me to go too, which was nice of them, I am not a seaside person really, and don't want to go abroad any more.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »
A wee tip if you have all your tank bits plugged into one of these

Some have their sockets wider spaced to allow for bigger adapters to be used (like the type you get on your phone charger or laptop etc), in which case you shouldn't have a problem. But some have their sockets close together which means an adapter, or timer, will render the sockets either side unusable. If this is the case for you, be sure to plug the timer in the end socket, that way you only lose the use of the one nextdoor.

Some timers are slimmer than others. These for example, whereby the segments are above the socket as apposed to around it. Though you still may lose a socket, depending upon the type of extension block you have.

Have a great holiday  :)

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
That's a very good tip Chucklet, I will bear that in mind.   Thanks for the good wishes, I shall enjoy it.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
All good tips there - I had the problem Chucklett mentioned with my plug timer too.

Also ooh Oakham and Rutland are lovely - have fun!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
Thanks Jesnon.   This is all very good info isn't it.    Yes I'm looking forward to Oakham, its still about six weeks away yet, but will fly by now.   Is it you that's moving to Portsmouth, or have you already moved.  I used to live near there, but in Wiltshire now.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Yeah I'm the Portsmouth bound one! I'm moving in about mid-August..i still haven't been! Is it nice there? I'm going this weekend to explore there and Southampton and try and find a nice house! My home town is Leicester hence why I've been to Rutland :-)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Hi Jesnon,   Afraid I can't tell you much about what it is like there now, I have lived here in Shrewton for 30 years, so it will all be different and I should imagine better than when I last went there.   I used to live on the outskirts of Southampton, place called Durley, which is handy for the m27 now.  Quite a nice village, all sorts going on, if you like village life.    Lots of things to see in Portsmouth/Southampton.  Sorry this is a fishy site and this is not.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »
Don't worry Cinders, we all frequently go off topic  ;D

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
O  glad to hear that Sue, its so easy to do.   Like making new friends.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Off-topic is best..... the sillier the better!  8)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
Hi Cinders,
I went away in May for 5 days and like yourself was concerned about not feeding.
After many replies and Sue is very knowledgeable i left them with no food. On my return all fish were fine with no problems. I would invest in a timer for the lights as this is very useful

Jay

Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
Hi Jay,

Thanks for that, its really reassuring.   I do have a timer, so will use that for the lights.

Cinders

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
Off-topic is best..... the sillier the better!  8)

How dare you! :) :) :)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How long without food"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 08:39:45 PM
by sideing
5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 09:18:44 PM
by biffster
0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 04:22:40 PM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 11:49:47 PM
by Pawel
3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 12:15:33 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 05:53:14 PM
by Sanjo
32 Replies
Last post November 08, 2015, 07:32:38 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: