Zebra Nerite - Amazing Resurrection!

Author Topic: Zebra Nerite - amazing resurrection!  (Read 3639 times) 3 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Zebra Nerite - amazing resurrection!
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A couple of months ago I bought 10 mixed nerite snails from EBay, thanks to those who recommended the seller as they are really good value compared to normal nerite prices.

One was a Zebra nerite, which I put into an 80 cm tank. Next day it was attached to the side wall about 10 cms from the top. The following day it was in the same place, and the next day and the next day and .......... to cut a long story short it stayed immobile for 6 weeks. Now I know snails are pretty slow moving, but this was ridiculous. Any animal, even a snail which doesn't move for 6 weeks is pretty likely to be dead. But this nerite was obviously not dead, it was clinging to the side and a snail which had died would have fallen off and be nothing but an empty shell after 6 weeks. Last week, to my surprise, it was no longer in the same place and the following day there it was on the front glass, sliding along quite happily, it's little mouth scraping away at the algae. A week later it's still moving around, quite lively (for a snail).

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain why it stayed motionless for so long and why it suddenly decided to start moving. The only possible answer I can come up with is temperature. I keep this tank fairly cool at 22 - 23o while last week, sun streaming through the patio doors raised the room, and tank, temperature to about 25. Maybe nerites like it warm and it needed that rise in temperature to stimulate it to get going.

Just another strange story from the mysterious underwater world  :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Zebra Nerite - amazing resurrection!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:44 PM »
That's a pretty amazing story! I bought 5 nerites from the chap on eBay, they are incredible value. I also got an MTS and a Sulawesi snail thrown in for about £6. That's less that £1 a snail! Unfortunately my horned nerite didn't make it and my assassins got the MTS and another nerite (I actually think the nerite died of natural causes and they hoovered up the inside). I am amazed by the Sulawesi snail. When I popped him in the tank he did nothing for hours and then he vanished. I didn't see him for days. Then one evening as I was watching my fish, the substrate started to move and out rose this terrifying trunk. It gaped around as if searching for something and then eventually it heaved its mammoth shell from beneath the sand. I love watching this snail as it drags itself along the tank. Its trunk like mouth is incredibly adept at removing algae and detritus from fine leaves and mosses. I'm pretty sure it munches on the BBA in my tank as I have none on the lower plant/moss leaves, but up on the driftwood where I never see it venture BBA is rife. The only downfall is seeing your newly planted plants bobbing on the surface as he buries beneath them!

Did you get any bonus snails from the seller and have they been a success in your tank Richard?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but whats an MTS?

I used the same buyer and have a mysterious black snail that seems to live in the substrate

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:36:37 AM »
MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snail

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Zebra Nerite - amazing resurrection!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 08:42:09 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2015, 06:44:12 PM
by Sue
27 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 10:08:22 AM
by Fiona
13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 10:37:21 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 08:27:58 PM
by fish-friends
9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 06:43:02 PM
by Littlefish
22 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 06:37:44 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: