Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 205871 times) 1923 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1640 on: November 08, 2018, 08:51:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Have been to the local MA twice this week, and to the one near Aquarium Gardens (seemed rude not to have a look in while I was there), and I've managed not to buy any fish. I may need to mark this event on a calendar.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1641 on: November 14, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »
Veggie kebab in the river tank. The baby sweetcorn is more popular than expected, though they've also given the carrots a go.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1642 on: November 15, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
The gobies in the river tank have put on quite a display over the past couple of evenings. Three males have been vying for the attention of one female. I swear that one of the males was twerking for her - which was both disturbing and hilarious.  :rotfl:

[Moved from 'Kribensis' to 'Think Fish Keepers Daily News' where I assume it belonged.  C:-) FCMF.]

Offline Sue

« Reply #1643 on: November 16, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
The hornwort was taking over again. There was a layer 6 inches thick floating on top of the tank. This is probably why the Windelov Java fern and bolbitis were beginning to look a bit sad.
During this afternoon's water change I removed all the floating hornwort. It bulged over the top of a B & Q 12 litre builders bucket. I left the stems which were weighted down with terracotta plant weights. Then I sorted through it, picking off the bits of water sprite and Brazilian pennywort. I saved some stems and used extra plant weights from the cupboard, then threw the rest in the compost bin.

One thing I overlooked. Terracotta pants weights are quite light when dry. I now have three of them floating half way down the tank. Hopefully they'll sink when they get waterlogged  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #1644 on: November 17, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
I tested for ammonia and nitrite this morning, and found the ammonia colour was between the zero and 0.25 shades. I was a bit worried that removing so many plants would result in this. But there were no Malaysian trumpet snails crawling up the glass, the nerites were not trying to escape and the shrimps were pottering about as usual so I didn't panic.
After lunch I tested again and got zero ammonia. But I still did a small water change (1 bucket instead of 7.5) because of the bits of hornwort leaf all over the sand.

I can see my fish now, they aren't lurking in a barely lit tank under all that foliage. I am quite surprised that the rasboras are still out and about as I expected them to panic with less cover over them.
The rice fish are responding to the combination of water change followed by food - the males have darkened and are chasing the females. Maybe they like a brighter tank  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1645 on: November 22, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
I had a nice trip to the local MA this morning to buy marbled hatchets and some bits & pieces.
It turned out to be a far more productive trip than usual....I was looking at their display of Dr. Bassleer biofish food, I haven't tried it before, but I quite like to give my gang a bit of a change occasionally.
The store manager asked if I'd like some samples........oooh, yes please.  :) 
He said that they get 3g sample packs with each delivery, and gave me a bag with some sachets.
I didn't have a good look in the bag until just now, and have just realised quite how many samples I have. More than enough to share, so if anyone would like to try a few samples please let me know.
This is what I have available (most are granular size "M" = 0.5mm) :-
Regular
Garlic
Aloe
Chlorella
Matrine
Forte
Herbal
Here is the link to say what is in each one https://www.bassleer.com/vissen/biofish-food/

Also, if anyone has any experience with this food, please let me know what you think, before I start throwing it into my fish tanks. :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1646 on: November 22, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Ooooh - new fish - exciting... and overdue by your standards!  ;) :fishy1:
Glad your faithful patronage of your local MA has paid off with some well-deserved samples, and also very kind of you to offer to share some of them. Skinny Harley (RIP) might have benefited from some of these as I see some mention for loss of appetite.  :'(

In my own tank, the spare filter or its cable was causing a lot of vibration yesterday evening, to the extent that I removed it under plea from Mr FCMF, moving the filter media into the tank so as not to lose all the beneficial bacteria. What a difference its removal has made - the tank seems so much roomier, much more aesthetically interesting as the main filter and heater are hidden at the back, and the fish are intermingling so much more rather than in separate territories / station points according to whether they like/dislike the filter outflow.

Current positioning is the green neons lively at the very top, more sedate harlies on the strata immediately below, and x-rays on the bottom.  :fishy1:

Edited to add video: https://#youtu.be/fWevvPEwIpY [remove # to watch], with apologies for scratches on tank due to algae magnet use some time ago, silk plants in lieu of former real plants plus the need for some general scrubbing of them as BBA has set in on them and food debris have landed on them.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1647 on: November 22, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
Interesting to hear that the removal of the spare filter made such a difference to you fish behaviours @fcmf . And it's lovely to see them all 'doing their thing'

Btw, your tank looks great with all the silk plants. And I can't see the BBA.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #1648 on: November 23, 2018, 02:58:42 AM »
Love the video fcmf...   :D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1649 on: November 23, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
There is something very adorable about watching tiny fish (eg neon green rasboras / MDK) chomping on a large brineshrimp or savouring a piece of bloodworm.
 :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1650 on: November 23, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »
There is something very adorable about watching tiny fish (eg neon green rasboras / MDK) chomping on a large brineshrimp or savouring a piece of bloodworm.
 :fishy1:

I agree.
I also like seeing my amano shrimp run off with a whole algae wafer.

I'm quite small, but completely certain I am far from adorable when tackling a large meal.  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #1651 on: November 24, 2018, 09:35:26 AM »
Reading about Littlefish's Maidenhead Aquatics in another thread prompted me to look at their store locator.

I'm now very happy  ;D

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/store/stokesley

The place was totally destroyed, just a tangle of metal roof lying on top of incinerated garden centre. Just a couple of months ago we went there to get some autumn lawn feed and there was nothing, they were still clearing the last of the debris, and operating from a temporary building adjacent to the site. The garden centre website says they are still operating from this temporary building, so where exactly is this MA that's about to re-open? The temp building is too small for them as well. I'll keep an eye on the MA site, then I'll have to persuade my husband to take a trip.......

[For those readers who don't know what I'm talking about, see post #1093 on page 44 of this thread]

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1652 on: November 24, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
Great news Sue.  :cheers:
Please keep us updated on the progress of your local MA.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1653 on: November 24, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
That is good. I'll never forget this as it really upset me, thinking about what those poor fish might have gone through - and hoping sincerely that it was swift. I've had a look at their Facebook page and the precise location is not clear - I got the impression it might be in the temporary building - but most of the staff have been working in the Stockton-on-Tees branch and will be returning to this branch.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1654 on: November 24, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Good to know that they kept the staff on!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1655 on: November 24, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
I have not been in the Stockton branch recently to recognise any of the Stokesley staff, even if Stockton is a lot nearer. Stockton is the smallest MA I've ever been in so they don't stock as much as the other branches. It's in a Wyevale garden centre and we tend to avoid those - their dry good are expensive and their plants are arranged by climate type not alphabetically so we can never find anything. Strikes at Stokesley not only is a better garden centre is also used to house a bigger MA, and hopefully soon will again.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1656 on: November 25, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
A flurry of activity in the tank today. X-rays are sedate at the bottom, enjoying the peace and shade of a silk plant. Harlies are sedately over to one side. Greenies are playing in the filter outlet flow, in a sort-of restructuring of the hierarchy as to who gets first rights to ride the flow - so far, two of the slightly older and bigger (3cm) ones seem to be at the top of the hierarchy but one newer and smaller (1.5cm) one is challenging one of the older ones, while the remaining 3 smaller ones are playing tig a little lower down in the tank, possibly sorting out who's next in the ranking order.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1657 on: November 26, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
Good to hear that your gang are settling in the tank @fcmf
Fingers crossed for a long period of peace, harmony, and good health for all.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1658 on: November 26, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
Thanks, @Littlefish

I've noticed today that the new fish haven't quite got used to human habits. For example, if I'm sitting by the tank and lift a hand to move a hair away from my face, they scatter, causing the entire tankload of fish to follow suit. Later on at lunchtime, I was sitting eating my sandwich by the tank and wondered if they'd notice that I was actually eating and start begging for their own lunch but, instead, they scattered every time I lifted the sandwich to my mouth. Needless to say, I felt bad about eating in front of them and instilling panic, so followed this up with fishfood (for them, not me).

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1659 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
It's that time of year again with the darker days, which I think we discussed last year, when the fishtank light makes the tank brighter than the room it's in. My fish have been very pre-occupied with their own reflections and vigorously swimming alongside these reflections for the past few days.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: