New Law In The USA

Author Topic: New law in the USA  (Read 1339 times) 16 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
New law in the USA
« on: February 06, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have just been reading about a situation in the USA which will affect fish keepers there. It has just been passed by the House of Representatives and now goes to the Senate. If it becomes law, it will be illegal to import, sell, breed and keep tropical fish and other exotic pets.

There was something similar back around 2014 where are pressure group tried to get the EU to pass a similar law, but things have been very quiet on that front for quite a long time now.

Will the potential new law affect us here in the UK? There are a couple of things which may possibly have an effect.
A precedent will have been set if it becomes law. The European pressure group may become more active again. I know the UK is no longer part of the EU but the same pressure group could well put pressure on the UK government as well as the EU.
Asian fish farms will lose a huge market. Will they go under, or turn to other markets? There are European breeding farms, but will the Asian farms undercut them in order to drive them out of business and leave the European market with no competition?

The proposed law may not be passed by the US Senate, but it is interesting to speculate on what impact it could have here if it is passed.

Offline Sue

Re: New law in the USA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
A thought has occurred to me. If the law is passed by the Senate, will companies like API and Prime stop producing things like water conditioners. Will there be enough profit from exports to places like the UK?

I use API Tap Water Conditioner (I don't know of a non-US product with the same composition)
Seachem Flourish and Flourish tabs (there's always TNC)
Omega One fish food (is there any good quality food made in the UK?)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 09:04:28 PM »
Interesting - do you have any links you could share?

Is it tropical or marine as well? Would it include aquariums (by which I mean the tourist attraction variety)? What’s the reasoning they give? It sparks so many questions for me too!

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 09:12:42 PM »
The American members of another forum I'm a member of are up in arms about it. Literally in some cases  :o They reckon it's PETA behind it, their declared aims include the banning of all pets except dogs, and the banning of farm animals with the stated aim of forcing all Americans to become vegans.
Other people have said it's banning the import of all exotic animals and the trading of them across state boundaries, which means fish bred in captivity in any particular state should be available to people living in that state. And other people reckon it won't become law as it will affect too many jobs. Something about the proposed law being about shark fins, and this amendment tagged on a the last minute so the House considering the bill wouldn't have chance to read it properly, if they actually noticed.

This is the link which first mentioned it in the other forum
https://www.naiaonline.org/articles/article/federal-legislation-threatens-pets-zoos-and-aquariums-and-biomedical-research#sthash.H3SPyUyt.dpbs

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:37:11 PM »
A thought has occurred to me. If the law is passed by the Senate, will companies like API and Prime stop producing things like water conditioners. Will there be enough profit from exports to places like the UK

I use API Tap Water Conditioner (I don't know of a non-US product with the same composition)
Seachem Flourish and Flourish tabs (there's always TNC)
Omega One fish food (is there any good quality food made in the UK?)

We’ll always have Waterlife (Haloex is the best dechlorinator) and Tetra (who make the best foods). :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 05:18:45 AM »

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 08:27:22 AM »
Isn't Tetra an American company? Their website says their copyrights are held by Spectrum Brands Inc, and Inc is used by American companies.

I won't use Haloex as it "Naturally coats and protects fish's gills and body" which often means aloe vera. I use API Tap Water Conditioner as it contains the least chemicals of any water conditioner I can find. If there is a comparable British brand, which does not contain aloe vera or anything to detoxify ammonia, I'd like to know about it so I can buy it.

American fish keepers are seriously worried about this law being passed by the senate. A few are hysterical saying things like the authorities would have to prise their fish from their cold dead hands, defending their fish with firearms or smuggling fish in across the Canadian border ::) The calmer ones have started a petition on-line. But they do fear the end to their hobby, though most do seem to have got things out of proportion.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 11:36:07 AM »
You’re right Sue, Tetra was sold, which I missed. It was always a German company, founded by Dr. Baensch. It was sold relatively recently.

I can never find absolute proof that Haloex contains Aloe Vera. It never used to, so my jury’s still out on that one.

I don’t think there’s a British food manufacturer that’s much good. TMC do some good catfish and goldfish pellets (the same exact pellet marketed for both, which is heinous, but they’re good pellets (high protein, definitely bad for goldfish)).
Then there’s Aquarian, which has always been a terrible brand...

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 11:46:15 AM »
I can't find anything which lists the ingredients for Haloex, including Waterlife's website. But googling Haloex does produce hits in which the thumbnail says "Haloex with aloe vera"

Does the bottle or leaflet say what's in it?

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 12:03:16 PM »
Google seems to suggest it does. But Haloex is ten times more concentrated than, say, aquasafe (which is thus obviously 1 part dechlorinator to 9 parts water). That’s why I use it, because I’m not being ripped off, and because I have absolute trust in Waterlife.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »
I use API Tap Water Conditioner because all it contains is thiosulphate and EDTA.

It is also concentrated, 1 ml in 75 litres (or 1 drop in 3.75 litres)

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »
It doesn’t do chloramine though, which is what most of us are on these days.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 12:43:30 PM »
Just nicked this off Facebook...

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »
That's what's got American fish keepers concerned.

My tap water tests zero for ammonia both before and after the addition of my water conditioner. API Tap Water Conditioner splits chloramine into chlorine and ammonia and 'removes' the chlorine but leaves the ammonia there. Since my tap water contains undetectable levels of ammonia, I am content to use it.
And my water company's website says they use chlorine.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 02:18:57 PM »
My bad. It does bind the chlorine part of chloramine, as you say. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 02:23:28 PM »
It does say to use 3 times the chlorine dosage if there's chloramine in the water. Is there more chlorine per volume of water when chloramine is used? I've never really thought about it with having just chlorine.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 02:28:38 PM »
No, you just need a stronger concentration to break the bond, for some reason.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: